1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Those spray jackets, in particular, are absolutely woeful.

You can get good-looking spray jackets (for mountaineering, cycling and so on) but those certainly don't fit in that category. The piping, the odd flaps with the press-studs and so on all make it look like something you would have picked up in the bargain bin at Target in the 1980s.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Saw it on the news last night, a so called fashion expert, who is also a fashion columnist for a newspaper(Herald Sun i think), said they were very fashionable. I cringed.

WAYWT
    [​IMG]

APC
    Acne
    Trickers

Mr. Moo, what are you doing outside of SWD?

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

The jumpers looks like some cheap polyester knitted thing you'd buy at Target.

5. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

They might be. One of my schools in the 80s had green uniforms and in winter the high school girls wore jumpers that look almost exactly like that, with the school logo instead of the Australian coat of arms. I doubt those things were the height of quality...

The women's jackets just look weird with that upside-down Christmas tree shape formed by the lapels just completely clashing with the actual body shape. The men's jackets look ok closed but horrible open.

Given that the uniform really has no purpose other than representing Australia to the world during televised ceremonies, I feel it's OK to completely focus on the look of it over function because it has no function other than the look, and the look is indeed 80s Target bargain bin.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Jumpers, coke, sweet Mary Jane.

1 person likes this.
  7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

At the risk of inciting even greater controversy in this thread, I just noticed this interview with Patrick Johnson in the Oz's Exec Living section:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/exe...-to-feel-at-home/story-e6frg8io-1226944011154

Some brief extracts to get the blood fired up:

"What differentiates P. Johnson Tailor from other bespoke tailors?"

"When we started, our business goal was to make Australian men better dressed. Now it’s just to be the best tailor in the world."

[​IMG]

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

That you, Bobby Brown?

9. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Had an awkward time yesterday when my boss accused me of lazy editing and told me my draft was full of grammatical errors. There is no easy way to tell your superior that his amendments were all incorrect or that maybe he should give me some credit for having 4 years of experience as an English teacher.

2 people like this.
  10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I don't see why the uniform has to change every year. It'd be nice if there was a bit of consistency. Which means the uniform needs to be classic.

I think it'd be great if getting your Australian uniform meant that you had something in common with every other athelete who had represented our country. Kind of like the jackets they give out to winners of the Masters every year. It should be something you treasure.

My ideal men's uniform would be something like this:

Jacket:

Forest green blazer. Coat of arms on the gold blazer buttons. Perhaps gold threading on the lapel button hole, or even some sort of gold on the top of the breast pocket like you'd see on a school uniform.

[​IMG]

Tie

Forest green with a small coat of arms, or maybe some gold rep stripes.

Shirt:

White BD (or hidden BD), maybe Oxford cloth for the winter games, linen cotton for the summer.... Perhaps have the coat of arms in Gold or Forest Green on the pocket.

[​IMG]

Pants

Depending on climate, but I'd go for Light Tan cotton trousers for the Summer games:

[​IMG]

Winter games, perhaps some mid grey flannels

[​IMG]

(slow day at work:) )

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

2 people like this.
  12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Or a wombat perhaps?

2 people like this.
  13. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

He knows how to make a suit, and is capable of making a suit, hence is allowed to call himself a tailor.

The items his brand makes are personalised and individual, and only made upon request - the widely accepted definition of bespoke. You and what, 100 other people have a more refined definition of bespoke? That's great, but this article is written for the 2 billion people that all define bespoke the other way. We live in a democracy and according to the the law of majority - you lose.

I'm sorry, but I'm with Patrick on this one.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that Patrick seems like a very nice person and P.Johnson certainly makes great products, there's no doubt about it.

However, I do question whether a company that doesn't actually make anything itself but which instead outsources absolutely all of its production (not that there's anything wrong with that, a lot of places do it) aim to call itself "the best tailor in the world"? After all, they're not really tailors as they're not actually tailoring anything.

Maybe I'm just a pedant fighting a losing battle... Hopefully, ovlov will do better in his discussions with his boss about his grammar!

[And, yes, I do know that we're raking over the ashes of old fires and that this has all been discussed before - I just felt a bit liking poking the hornet's nest this morning.]

15. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I don't really care for this debate, but I highly, highly doubt Patrick knows how to make a suit. He could potentially make a shirt from scratch, there is no way he could make a suit, with no disrespect to him. Jacket and trouser tailoring is an extremely difficult, fine art that takes a minimum 15 years experience to do well. Given that the guys at American Tailors have complained that their apprentices of five years can't make a proper pair of trousers alone, there is absolutely no way Patrick can make a suit on his own.

1 person likes this.
  16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

[quote name = "DartagnanRed"]

Have you missed the point, completely misread the post, started stirring shit for the sake of it or made a bad joke? As always with you, it's a toss up. [/quote]

I think your response a couple of days ago more accurately reflects my feelings on Jimmy's post.

2 people like this.
  17. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

It's still your product, even if it is outsourced. Those tailors are employed by his company.

Being a pedant would assume you're correct. But I don't see how you are more correct than someone that has a broader less 'picky' definition of bespoke.

18. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Tough call. Maybe Rob can chime in - he knows Patrick better than anyone else.

I wager that Patrick does know how to cut a pattern and stitch - albeit not very well.

Anyway, I believe he is making reference to his team of tailors. Which he employs through another company.

19. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

What do you base this on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.