• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice story on the Basso tailors in North Carlton...

Last Tuesday, Jack and Gina Basso had a barbecue, just the two of them, in the yard of their North Carlton tailor shop. They ate pork ribs, potatoes and onions.

Jack, 92, had offered to take Gina to a restaurant to celebrate their 60 years in business, and 60 years of marriage, but Gina preferred something simple. ''We drank a little wine, it was nice,'' she says.

A printed note on the shop window in Rathdowne Street is the only other marker of the anniversaries. ''Thank you to all our customers and friends,'' it says.

Now it's business as usual. Tailoring has been their life since they were teenagers in the village of Camazzole, in Padua province in Italy's north.
Advertisement

Mrs Basso's mother was a friend of Mr Basso's grandmother, and in 1947, the two older women pressured Mr Basso to employ Gina, then 15, as a trainee seamstress, even though he didn't need extra staff.

Gina and Jack fell in love. After the war there was no work, and barely enough to eat, and so in 1951, Mr Basso migrated to Australia. It was two years before he saw Gina again.

The day in July 1953 that Mr Basso bought a decrepit former barber shop in Rathdowne Street was the day he married his sweetheart. But Jack wasn't at the wedding.

Gina took her vows before the priest in the Camazzole church with Jack's brother, Giovanni, as stand-in. Jack had sent consent papers from Melbourne, but didn't know the ceremony was that day.

When his bride arrived in September 1953, Mr Basso was living behind the shop, which he had rented out while working in a plastics factory. He was gravely ill with a stomach ulcer.

Mrs Basso opened the shop and started mending clothes for the local Jewish, Italian and Australian families. Mr Basso recovered, they worked seven days a week and built a life.

In 1950s Rathdowne Street, horses and carts delivered ice and milk. There was no airconditioning or heating. They would keep their front door unlocked - but the back door locked, on account of the shady SP bookie customers in the back laneway.

The worst year was 1965. The economy was bad and custom dried up. Mr Basso found work washing cars, but had two heart attacks, so Gina, who had no English, ran the shop alone.

The area was sleepy until 1985, when La Porchetta restaurant opened a few doors down. Mr Basso remembers queues down the street for pizza. Young professionals moved to Carlton, with no time to mend their own clothes.

While Mr Basso is now taking it easier, Mrs Basso, 81, won't be retiring or selling up.

Two years ago, she had breast cancer, and found that coming to work, whether picking stitches apart by hand or powering the whiz-bang new Janome machine, stopped her going mad. ''When you are working, you communicate with people. You don't worry such as, 'maybe it's coming back'. I can say to work, for me, is life, it keeps me going.''

Her studio is hung with clothes to mend and photos of her son, Robert, a teacher, and grandchildren Emily, 25, a fashion designer, and Jack, 19, a student.

And the secret to their 60-year marriage? ''It's because of me. I'm a good husband,'' Mr Basso, says, grinning.

Mrs Basso says it's patience, and advises that one person in the couple can choose to keep the peace. ''You need two people to argue,'' she says.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Rob.

I got comgateway to place the order for me and then ship it to Sydney. Their BuyForMe service cost $6 (5% of the purchase price). Cheaper than neurofen.

Have had several successful transactions with ComGateway. not sure if they are the cheap service but it has always worked well.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First ever Luxire order.
Classic Blue White Gingham.
Luxire Vintage Shirt

IMG_20130909_114313_zps41546925.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great Foxhound. Much better than the other stuff you posted several months ago. The only question mark I have is that the pants look quite tight around the ankle/calf/thighs, which makes your feet look much bigger than they really are. There's nothing wrong, it is just, noticeable.

It is also good to see that you're out of the kitchen.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only question mark I have is that the pants look quite tight around the ankle/calf/thighs, which makes your feet look much bigger than they really are. There's nothing wrong, it is just, noticeable.

Mr Sy, you will make fxh's day with comments like that.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice story on the Basso tailors in North Carlton...

Last Tuesday, Jack and Gina Basso had a barbecue, just the two of them, in the yard of their North Carlton tailor shop. They ate pork ribs, potatoes and onions.

Jack, 92, had offered to take Gina to a restaurant to celebrate their 60 years in business, and 60 years of marriage, but Gina preferred something simple. ''We drank a little wine, it was nice,'' she says.

A printed note on the shop window in Rathdowne Street is the only other marker of the anniversaries. ''Thank you to all our customers and friends,'' it says.

Now it's business as usual. Tailoring has been their life since they were teenagers in the village of Camazzole, in Padua province in Italy's north.
Advertisement

Mrs Basso's mother was a friend of Mr Basso's grandmother, and in 1947, the two older women pressured Mr Basso to employ Gina, then 15, as a trainee seamstress, even though he didn't need extra staff.

Gina and Jack fell in love. After the war there was no work, and barely enough to eat, and so in 1951, Mr Basso migrated to Australia. It was two years before he saw Gina again.

The day in July 1953 that Mr Basso bought a decrepit former barber shop in Rathdowne Street was the day he married his sweetheart. But Jack wasn't at the wedding.

Gina took her vows before the priest in the Camazzole church with Jack's brother, Giovanni, as stand-in. Jack had sent consent papers from Melbourne, but didn't know the ceremony was that day.

When his bride arrived in September 1953, Mr Basso was living behind the shop, which he had rented out while working in a plastics factory. He was gravely ill with a stomach ulcer.

Mrs Basso opened the shop and started mending clothes for the local Jewish, Italian and Australian families. Mr Basso recovered, they worked seven days a week and built a life.

In 1950s Rathdowne Street, horses and carts delivered ice and milk. There was no airconditioning or heating. They would keep their front door unlocked - but the back door locked, on account of the shady SP bookie customers in the back laneway.

The worst year was 1965. The economy was bad and custom dried up. Mr Basso found work washing cars, but had two heart attacks, so Gina, who had no English, ran the shop alone.

The area was sleepy until 1985, when La Porchetta restaurant opened a few doors down. Mr Basso remembers queues down the street for pizza. Young professionals moved to Carlton, with no time to mend their own clothes.

While Mr Basso is now taking it easier, Mrs Basso, 81, won't be retiring or selling up.

Two years ago, she had breast cancer, and found that coming to work, whether picking stitches apart by hand or powering the whiz-bang new Janome machine, stopped her going mad. ''When you are working, you communicate with people. You don't worry such as, 'maybe it's coming back'. I can say to work, for me, is life, it keeps me going.''

Her studio is hung with clothes to mend and photos of her son, Robert, a teacher, and grandchildren Emily, 25, a fashion designer, and Jack, 19, a student.

And the secret to their 60-year marriage? ''It's because of me. I'm a good husband,'' Mr Basso, says, grinning.

Mrs Basso says it's patience, and advises that one person in the couple can choose to keep the peace. ''You need two people to argue,'' she says.

Lovely. Where's the article source link btw?>

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never quite understood the business model of those mail forwarding places. For $6 a throw you'd have to do a lot each Day to survive?

That's just the BuyForMe service.

There's still the forwarding fee, which will be determined once they receive the package, weigh it, and then provide different shipping options. That rate starts at $28.50.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great Foxhound. Much better than the other stuff you posted several months ago. The only question mark I have is that the pants look quite tight around the ankle/calf/thighs, which makes your feet look much bigger than they really are. There's nothing wrong, it is just, noticeable.

It is also good to see that you're out of the kitchen.
I didn't post the right image. And in the time it took me to edit it, you replied :p
Here's that image.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
Filson bags were mentioned a while back. Do they really charge $150 to deliver to Australia or am I reading it wrong?
Thanks.

kayhill

Reaction score
I didn't post the right image. And in the time it took me to edit it, you replied :p
Here's that image.

Is that the slate blue twill chino? If so I'm getting the same pair. Or rather my own pair in the same colour.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Henry Tomkins briefcase has just arrived from the UK. The order was place in late June, so it took roughly 10 weeks or so to get here. Henry warned that he was very busy, and it actually arrived about a week earlier than he predicted.

I've attached some quick photos.

This is the Essential model. Price was UK225 shipped, including UK35 for the optional shoulder strap. About $380 in today's dollars, although it was more like $350 when I bought it IIRC.

About my only concern is the colour. I ordered deep burgundy, but this sure looks like dark brown to me. I've emailed Henry about it, but I guess I need to see it in daylight before coming to any conclusions.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fox - you're not a 35 YO balding Dad, I don't know why you're keen to dress like one.

Head into SWD territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads