1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimelessMan

TimelessMan Well-Known Member

?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I looked into a similar thing with luggage recently.

Essentially, you can buy:

-Carry on garment bags (usually hold 1-3 suits) http://theluggageprofessionals.com.au/garment-carriers/victorinox-wt-4-0-deluxe-garment-sleeve.html, http://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/american-tourister-smart-garment-bag-black-56276/

-Wheeled garment bags, carry on size (1-4 suits) http://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/samsonite-ultralite-8-spinner-garment-bag-black-2/

& also Combo wheeled garment bags/ suitcases, check in size (1 suit + clothes)

-Check in suitcases (multiple suits + clothes). http://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/samsonite-synconn-large-76cm-softside-suitcase-bl/

The above are not necessarily what I'd get, just examples of the style.

All are specifically designed for hanging suits. I guess it just depends on how many suits you need to take, and how long you are away for.

*here's a discount code for bagworld if someone decides to buy something: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/145170

------------------

Speaking of packing, I just bought this in a moment of weakness (http://www.colonellittleton.com/leather-travel-tie-case-no12), second hand and half price, thankfully.

[​IMG]

Would love to buy their dopp kit, but I can't quite stomach $300 for one of those, so I have my eye on something a bit cheaper.

http://www.colonellittleton.com/leather-shave-kit-no2

[​IMG]

This one is probably the best dopp kit I've seen, though:

http://divina-denuevo.com/shop/cases/mens-leather-shaving-and-toiletries-roll-case/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

[​IMG]

Where to kop?

4. Prince of Paisley

Those are possibly the most iGent looking things I have seen this year. What's wrong with a regular toiletries bag, apart from the fact it is cheaper, takes up less space and is lighter than a roll-up shave kit carrier? And why do you need something so cumbersome to carry three ties? Unless you are going on campaign with the British Raj and have a bunch of sherpas to carry your stuff for you, I just don't see the appeal.

4 people like this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

PoP - putting iGents to the sword since January 2009.

2 people like this.
  6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pitti 2015: Year of the Sherpa

1 person likes this.
  7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Ahh... firstly it actually holds up to 12 ties... not 3.... I often go out to regional Victoria for a few weeks at a time. I'm not keen on letting 12 ties swim around in my suitcase just asking to be snagged on a stray zipper.... And considering it cost me less than the price of one new tie ....

It's not something for an overnight trip I'll give you that.

Secondly I am not buying those dopp kits. The one I'll probably get looks like this and is nowhere near that price

[​IMG]

To my mind it has quite a few advantages over a sponge bag:

-You can hang it up, get it out of the way.
    -Proper compartments to keep things separate
    -Removeable sponge bag
    -Removable canvas lining so you can clean it
    -More space

So in the end, not only does it look nicer, but it's also more practical.... I don't see the downside.

8. Prince of Paisley

Ok.

But why are you packing 12 ties to go to regional Victoria? Unless you sell ties on the street and hang this thing inside your trench coat? And IMO you can always fold your ties in your shoe. Or fold them under a jumper. Or something, if you are worried about snagging on a zipper. (I have never had that happen to me btw).

And unless your brush and razor are ultra-orthodox, I can't see why they would need seperate compartments. Not for $100 when you can buy a wetpack from Target for $5.

That, to me, is the major downside!

9. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I'd probably take 6-8 ties or something. I have to wear a tie every day that I am out there.

Toiletries get wet, messy etc. - that's where separate, washable compartments come in handy. I am not even a DE blade or straight edge shaver - those guys carry so many products that I can imagine they'd need even more space.

With regard to your Target point... you can also buy tie a $5 from Target, so why buy an $80 Henry Carter tie...?

10. Prince of Paisley

Oh jeez...

I think the more accurate analogy would be, you can buy a $90 HC tie from the same thirst as a $270 Passagio Cravatte tie, so why buy the PC tie? They both do the same essential job of looking good on you, which a Target tie won't.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you son; it's your money. If you want to carry everything around multiple layers of vegetable tanned leather (which is really good around water I might add), then that is your prerogative.

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

If you're after a cheaper alternative, I recommend this from Muji (they're now open at the Emporium, no?):

[​IMG]

And I think it fits your criterion.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I think that's Uniqlo at Emporium.

Not all Japanese are the same, NM ;)

I could be wrong and MUJI is now also open at Emporium, but why let facts get in the way..

13. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

It is.

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Let's not stoop to that.

16. Prince of Paisley

Very well, daughter if you prefer.

3 people like this.
  17. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Appolyon, nice to see you here. Got bored on reddit, I imagine?

18. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

He converted all there to the Topy way and is back to claim praise.

2 people like this.
  19. fxh

fxh Senior member

MUJI is at Chaddy too.

20. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

... Really now? This kind of things is pretty immature.

I don't understand the personal snipes in this thread sometimes. It's just the internet.

This is not just directed at PoP, but also the other members who seem to have a bone to pick with one another and choose to play it out in this thread. Ie earlier today. What's the point. If you have to, do it elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.