1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Yeah I'll think I'll get the 257 or 256.

Basically it's the sneakers with a t-shirt and shorts, my takeaway container that holds my left over dinner and maybe a water bottle (but not really).

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

I had one, was overkill for my needs. I then bought the Apolis x Filson 256, which was the perfect size, but then I started dressing more casually started using a backpack at uni. It still comes in handy and is a great bag. Will use it for when I get a professional Job.
    [​IMG]

JH. I'd go with the 257. I think the 256 will be too small for your needs. I definitely wouldn't go for a small duffel though.

2 people like this.
  3. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

I like the aesthetics of a duffel bag. Was thinking of getting a filson one myself but thought I should continue to use my old one until it wears out.

It also enough floor space for your soup container to stay flat. you dont want that tilting and leaking out.

1 person likes this.
  4. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Cheers for the info, Adam.

Your 256 looks much wider than the Apolis photos show. On the Apolis website the 256 looks like it'd just hold a piece of paper.

I don't like all the broken up compartments in the 257, but I like the 2" of extra depth.

@Nolvadex - that's the big one. If the soup container starts tilting, it's a bitch. Which is probably why Fox suggested the 257 for the depth. But yeah, the duffel bag is a good look.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. crappbag

crappbag Well-Known Member

I've got a 256 and the only gripe I have is it can be too slim.

Heck I can't even fit a lunch container and water bottle after I chuck my laptop stuff in.

1 person likes this.
  6. Foxhound

So I packed up my Filson.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In there I have the following;
    -Macbook Pro Retina 13"
    - Charger
    -Redwing Postmans
    -Fuck Yeah Menswear
    - Plastic waterbottle.

You'll be hardpressed to fit anything else in there. Get the 257.
    -

2 people like this.
  7. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Well-Known Member

I have a 257 in green - great bag. I think you'll need it to fit in the soup! Only gripe is that there are a lot of closures to do up. Have they started to do it in navy?

1 person likes this.
  8. Foxhound

Filson only do the 257 in Tan, Otter Green, and Brown. They have done a fair few collaborations with it though, the Red Label with Need Supply where it came in Red and Navy(much more vibrant than the navy used on their other models), and with Union Made, where it came in a beautiful ivory with English Tan coloured leather.

2 people like this.
  9. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

The 257 is much better than the 256

The issue with Filson bags is that every Blogger and his style forum follower has one. like double monk strap shoes

1 person likes this.
  10. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Soup Tilt

1 person likes this.
  11. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yes, but you should always tilt your soup bowl away from you.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Why do you believe that? Surely it depends on circumstance. Personally, I find the 257 too bulky for my purposes but it (or the duffel) is probably a better fit for the person who originally asked.

I know CheckStar carries a Filson duffel and it works very well for him.

Quote: Or Rolex watches, for that matter.

Why is this even an issue? The percentage of bloggers and styleforum members is tiny.

FWIW, I think it's a nice bag - well made, looks good and is relatively affordable. I'm happy to take it with me to work and it's served me well when on all the overseas trips I've been making. I definitely wouldn't be taking the La Portegna with me!

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Is it really an issue though? A nice bag is still as rare as a well dressed office worker.

I love my Filson. Otter green 256 (sometimes wish I had got the 257 - esp if I have a lot of work plus laptop). Had it for 3 years now.

At some point I will buy a Filson duffle bag too (most likely the Pullman). Highly recommended.

1 person likes this.
  14. Foxhound

Where the fuck am I?
    You can’t see me.
    That’s right.
    Fort made of Filsons.
    I’m buried under here.
    With your girl.
    Told her she “might as well have the best” [​IMG]
    She agreed.
    While you’re out at flea markets trying on dead people’s clothes,
    I’m in my fort playing make-believe.
    Make believing I’m not on that next level Cookie Crisp.
    Make believing I’m not breakin’ owls’ necks when I’m out all night steezing.
    Make believing I’m not your favorite blogger.
    Never gonna grow up.
    Wearing my forest green Macky Cruiser.
    No fucking pants on.
    Fly as shit.
    Call me Patina Peter Pan.
    So fucking fly.
    In my fort made of Filsons.

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

16. Foxhound

17. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

What happened to them? Second album was great.

As a pillow. Having missed the last train.

This convo on Filsons has been very informative. I have been eying them off as well and size is (as ever) an issue.

1 person likes this.
  18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

"Yes! The lid was off, and poor old Ross was already hooked on the secret vice of the Big men in New York: custom tailoring and the mania for the marginal differences that go into it. Practically all the most powerful men in New York, especially on Wall Street, the people in investment houses, banks and law firms, the politicians, especially Brooklyn Democrats, for some reason, outstanding dandies, those fellows, the blue-chip culturati, the major museum directors and publishers, the kind who sit in offices with antique textile shades—practically all of these men are fanatical about the marginal differences that go into custom tailoring. They are almost like a secret club insignia for them.

"And yet it is a taboo subject. They won’t talk about it. They don’t want it known that they even care about it. But all the time they have this fanatical eye, more fanatical than a woman’s, about the whole thing and even grade men by it.

"The worst jerks, as far as they are concerned—and people can lose out on jobs, promotions, the whole can of worms, because of this—are men who have dumped a lot of money, time and care into buying ready-made clothes from some Englishy dry goods shop on Madison Avenue with the belief that they are really ‘building fine wardrobes.’ Such men are considered to be bush leaguers, turkeys and wet smacks, the kind of men who tote the leather lunch pail home at night and look forward to having a drink and playing with the baby."

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

^Tom Wolfe, if I remember correctly. I guess that I'm a jerk, by that definition!

I've had a 256 for some years, and love it. It gets far more use than my other cases and looks good regardless of whether I'm wearing a suit, odd jacket and trousers, or chino pants.

However, whilst it's fine for everyday work usage if all you carry is an iPad, a small lunchbox, one or two workfiles etc, it's not really large enough if you want to carry lunch and a change of clothes for the gym. You could fit those things in, but the 256 would bulge and look overly-full.

Better to go up to a 257 or a small duffel bag.

2 people like this.
  20. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Hey!

Heyy!

Anyway, I went with the 257 in otter green. Works great (for me) for everyday* use and when I use it as a carry on for travelling. You can beat the shit out of that thing and it just keeps on going.

And, man, I love compartments.

Just as a point of reference:

Everyday* use:

legal pad (cos i'm all bidness)
    iphone charger
    3 pens
    lunchbox
    mini toiletries
    large moleskin
    small moleskin
    ipad
    ipad charging cable
    some random shit
    plenty of room

Carry-on
    All of the above; plus
    AKG noise cancelling headphones
    a book
    a murse that carries travel docs
    neck pillow
    thick socks
    sweater (or scarf)
    wanderlust

*by everyday use, I mean the days I want to carry a bag. Not that I actually carry a bag every day.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.