• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Granted, if placed back in the wild in their original position, artefacts would already long been razed or weathered into indistinguishable nubbins. I propose that museums are important.

At the very least the "foxing" would be off the hook

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we move onto an other topic please.
Quar what Cleverley's did you get?
Hope you're better now Romp!

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When things like this happen, I like to remember that the Asian girls appreciation thread exists.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mate, your C & J shoes are made in England, which is a distance of 17,000 kms away. The basic shoe was invented a few decades ago. You are so out of place and out of time.

This is logic emanating from a member of the legal profession. I hide my face in shame.

Did I say anything about C&J?

There are literally thousands of artefacts in museums whose function is completely unknown because some fuckwit 500 years ago stole it and sold it on. I could go into depth about entire movements in archeology about this, but it is ******* lost on you.

For everyone else: I want my own authentic look, something different from the general SF groupthink. That involves RMWs.

Sorry to drag you all through 3 pages of e-waste over a pair of jeans, I appreciate your comments and perspectives.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I, personally, don't like the idea of wearing RM Williams boots with a suit, but there are plenty of lawyers and other corporate types here in Brisbane who do it regularly.

Some years back, I fronted up to a hearing and at the other end of the bar table was a well-known barrister who had previously been a senior partner with Minters. He was wearing a well-tailored navy pinstripe suit, a sky blue shirt with French cuffs, a purple ottoman weave tie and... black RM Williams boots. To me, it seemed like a rather incongruous outfit but he's certainly not alone in dressing like that. Heck, for better or for worse, the PM is a fan of wearing RM Williams boots with business dress.

In Canberra the RM's suit look was de rigueur after Kevin was photographed with Obama. Still see it around some departments usually EL1 and above. However most APS staff in this town favour Roger David and Lowes business Black (shudder)

kayhill

Reaction score
Whilst this is true for most Boss suits and jackers, Boss Selection is of good construction quality. Most jackets are fully canvassed. They use a range of relatively nice fabrics, and overall the jackets are characterised by a hard, padded shoulder and significant waist suppression. So, they aren't poor at all, but for the price that Boss tries to sell them at in Australia, they absolutely are not worth looking at. On sale, they try to get ~$1500 for Boss Selection suits.

First suit I ever bought for work was a run-of-the-mill navy, fused Hugo Boss for $1300.

6 months later, and armed with a little bit more experience I happened to check out the store again. They had a navy Boss Selection suit marked down to $1300. The mistakes of the young and foolish, I suppose!

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did I say anything about C&J?

There are literally thousands of artefacts in museums whose function is completely unknown because some fuckwit 500 years ago stole it and sold it on. I could go into depth about entire movements in archeology about this, but it is ******* lost on you.

Did i say anthing about Britain or Greece?

And yet there are thousands of artifacts preserved and maintained whose functions are compltely known to us. At least some of these are now in museums, not rotting away at the bottom of the ocean or getting sandblasted to oblivion. When you wish to prsent arguments, make sure you know the opposing ones too.

If you wish to expound on archeology, i am more than willing to read it. That would be better than resorting to expletives in exasperation.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After Howard, Rudd is probably our worst dressed poly. Always has that black suit, satin tie thing going on that gives him that geeky Mormon vibe.

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score

Were you in the Ring Jacket bomber?

I ordered 2 MTO RTW pairs. Excellent value given they were not taking a surcharge for the Trunkshow.

sorry I missed you there. I ordered a pair of mto rtw myself.
I thought they were made by c&j to handgrade spec, but the inside size/model marking looks more EG.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
+1 on Hugo Boss's quality, or lack thereof. As far as I'm aware, they all have fused jacket construction (at least the ones that you get here for around $1200) and that's just far, far too much to pay for a suit of that construction quality. They used to have a much more expensive, higher-end line called Baldessarini that was very nice, but they stopped that some years back and I don't know if they replaced it with anything.

I don't know if Liverano's RTW line is stocked anywhere in Oz, and even if it were, it's very expensive - over $4000 for a suit, I think. Isaia is available in Brisbane at Richards & Richards, at least, but I'm not sure about elsewhere in Australia. Their suits are lovely and good value for what you get.

Whilst this is true for most Boss suits and jackers, Boss Selection is of good construction quality. Most jackets are fully canvassed. They use a range of relatively nice fabrics, and overall the jackets are characterised by a hard, padded shoulder and significant waist suppression. So, they aren't poor at all, but for the price that Boss tries to sell them at in Australia, they absolutely are not worth looking at. On sale, they try to get ~$1500 for Boss Selection suits.

Thanks for that guys

hugo boss selection suits on sale are relatively ok - I get mine for 600-700 bucks at the birkenhead outlet store, and ya some of the fabrics are nice... this is going to sound pretty dumb - the reason I have so many hugo boss suits is because they fit me pretty much off the rack... its not an important thing to most, but I just can't be stuffed goign to the tailor, waiting a few days, going back to pick it up... most of hugo boss's cuts fit me well...

Anyway, I would like to try a few different brands... Isaia is a go, hoping brooks brothers will bring some when they start up here too, will keep an eye for canalis on sale... and off to azzaro next time im in melbs

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can we move onto an other topic please.
Quar what Cleverley's did you get?
Hope you're better now Romp!

Thanks - much better than last week and im eating again which is good news.

lots of catching up to do this week

JayH

Reaction score
I was at a Land and Environment Court prelim hearing last week in Sydney. We were all in RMWs minus two guys in those glue soled chelseas you see. Admittedly though we were all from up North.
Speaking of environmental lawyers and shoes, one of my lecturers loves rocking a suit and new balance combo. No RMW in sight.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads