1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Buy what you can afford, always. Nobody said you had to buy a Porsche etc. if you haven't the money to be able to afford it.

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

New acoustic guitars are awesome.

3. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Whilst asking you for directions.

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Back to clothes for a second, for any of you blokes in Canberra that might be interested some of you may know we are part of the Fashfest Fashion Festival on here for the next 4 days at Brindabella Park. We are providing ties, pocket squares and scarves to the guys at Braddon Tailors who are showing. There is a free to attend trade show on the Sunday at East Hotel in Kingston and we'll be there with our stock for display/sale, so this is a great opportunity for anyone that wants to see stock in person to come along. Flyer is below, spoired for all you non Canberra folk.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Sometimes I forget this forum is a clothing one, rather than just an assortment of random discussions/arguments about cars/guitars/cameras and a place for Oli to brag about what he's watching on ABC.

6. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Reminder if this is useful to anyone thanks to the GQ Shopping day thing. Theres code for TMLewis and potentially some others but these 2 seemed the most useful.

MJ Bale 30% off site wide (excludes multibuy, collection) = GQSN14 - live on the site now.

Mr Porter - Free express shipping, save 20 pound. MRPGQAUS14 - code will work from 12pm onwards till midnight.

7. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

It's working right now :)

8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Fuckyeah!

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

What does "afford it" mean? On the one hand you can pay for a car in cash. OTOH you could borrow 90% of the purchase price of a way more expensive car and pay back the loan over 10 years living on baked beans and water...

Is the limit to what you can afford simply what the bank will lend you? So you see, saying "buy it if you can afford it" is really a nugatory statement.

2 people like this.
  10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Menswear.

1 person likes this.
  11. Kenneth237

Kenneth237 Member

Guys

Great website and I really enjoy this Australian thread.
    I know both my son and me are avid readers and have used many recommendations for purchases.
    Whilst my son is trying for a James Bond look alike I am attempting to develop a business style that befits my personality.
    Up to now, because of my shape, I have been dressed as a refugee from the Sopranos. Me and my mate Fat Tony!

Whilst I do not like asking a question with my first post I find myself having to do so.

I recently bought a pair of Lloyd Kay size UK 10. Now this is a supposed super wide last and although I have never needed to go this extreme before they are really comfortable. I do wear EE in Asia's.

Now the question what is a comparable size and last within the Loakes 1880 range. I'm after a pair of toe caps.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Nice colours. Compliments.

1 person likes this.
  13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

When you factor in sleep, lunch, coffee breaks, browsing styleforum, its like a couple of days away

2 people like this.
  15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Have a look at the Orvis and the Filson websites, as I'm sure that they'll have very similar jackets.

Alternatively, Charles Tyrwhitt has this:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-out...at?q=gbpdefault||jc009olv|||||||||||||&ppp=42

16. Geoffrey Firmin

Had forgotten about Orvis will have a look, again merde! Not in stock.

True but I wanted immediate ( post pending) gratification.

Nice but not what I am after. Trying for a casual rural look as opposed to something post military which a lot of those jackets on Orivs IMO on PTO look like.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  17. fxh

fxh Senior member

Firman - that LL Bean is a nice jacket - have you chatted to them? Often USA sites are really helpful and will look in warehouse to see if there is stuff that isn't on line

[​IMG][​IMG]
    A lot of that stuff from USA and UK is too warm for me - but - Canberra.....

Alphaville has good stuff and they have a Sydney distributer that often has a few things in their warehouse - quicker than ordering from OS.

There used to be a place in Mleb that had a biggish stock of used real M65s for around $50. Far too heavy for me and I've always felt a bit uneasy about the Vietnam association of M65s.

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Was into that post punk military look back in the 80's but now after Gulf War 1 & 2, Afghanistan couldn't do it. I do wear a pea coat due to its MM associations but even casually that military utility look is not for me. Mind you LLB do have the Barn Coat in the brown but i don't want to end up looking like Kevin Costner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.