• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSurg

Reaction score
I can confirm that the swatch said "black frog" and the skin looked like a little frog splayed out. Should've taken a photo. I guess it's a case of pics or it didn't happen.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, had a lovely morning in my pet op shop today. Cross-post from the thrift thread. Mostly a full-on tie day today, nearly all of them in the one place, stashed on a hanger right up the back. The manager gave me a 25% discount for buying so many too. NWT Zegna and Gucci Much more below.
Brionis. Some recent Zegnas Zegna Couture, I think. Can someone verify this label for me please? Some older Zegnas. The solid blue one is cotton, but lovely and soft. Nice no-name pocket square and silk scarf Ingram shirt Les Copains navy wool slacks. Anybody know who makes these? The label says F.B.P Italia Spa Brioni polo with enamelled metal buttons

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm presently looking for a cap toe oxford from C&J. I do prefer a hand grade, but for me a round toe looks nicer in that style. I'd be interested to know why you didn't go for another Audley, does the C onnaught look more elegant side by side? Do the bench grades give up anything in terms of comfort due to the lack of the full sock liner? I'd also be interested if you took the same size in the Connaught as the Audley? Thanks.
I wasn't sold on the idea of getting the Audleys in black when I already have them in brown. Seems a bit too samey. I tried on some Hallams in 10.5E, but felt they were too tight in the vamp for me. I tried the more rounded Connaughts but the 10.5E was too loose in the heel. We sized down to a 10E, and they were pretty much perfect. I never thought I'd feel like I was taking the cheap option buying C&Js, but all these ballers in the room dropping a grand on Cleverleys made me feel a little boring and inadequate. :)

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm presently looking for a cap toe oxford from C&J. I do prefer a hand grade, but for me a round toe looks nicer in that style. I'd be interested to know why you didn't go for another Audley, does the C onnaught look more elegant side by side? Do the bench grades give up anything in terms of comfort due to the lack of the full sock liner? I'd also be interested if you took the same size in the Connaught as the Audley? Thanks.
I wasn't sold on the idea of getting the Audleys in black when I already have them in brown. Seems a bit too samey. I tried on some Hallams in 10.5E, but felt they were too tight in the vamp for me. I tried the more rounded Connaughts but the 10.5E was too loose in the heel. We sized down to a 10E, and they were pretty much perfect. I never thought I'd feel like I was taking the cheap option buying C&Js, but all these ballers in the room dropping a grand on Cleverleys made me feel a little boring and inadequate. :)
Good buy, C & J are always a good choice for quality and value.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

If a pair of jeans is a stretch denim, assuming no pressure, will it stay the same size over time or will it distort?

I'm considering the RM Williams 2 x $220 deal - I'm definitely going the linesman in a sueded bone but wouldn't mind one in an indigo denim like my beloved 501s.

Just don't want them sloppy.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
halifax.
You asked a while back about a "first" shoe.

It does depend on what you want it for and what you do during the week and at weekends. Others have chimed in - I have a slightly different take.

If one is doing a taxonomy or a sliding scale of shoes from country/casual/less formal to more formal then, in general, the less decoration on a shoe, then the more formal and the more decoration on shoe the less formal.

Therefore, say, a plain stitched cap toe black shoe is the most formal and a heavy country full brogue the most country or casual.( there are more formal and more causal shoes but lets leave that alone and just use theres to work with)

If we run another line - or curve as our economists mates would say - then closed laced is more formal than open laced.

It seems to me then that if one is to have, at least for some minimal time, only one shoe (and I'm not referring here to the infamous oneshoe threads here) then that shoe should be in the middle of the curve somewhere. Optimal. That is the shoe should be versatile and capable of being worn, without embarrassment and without physical discomfort, at the most formal, at a wedding , funeral or high flying business any day with a suit and a tie, and the most informal, say with jeans or chinos and no jacket at a BBQ..

I put it to you ladies and gentlemen of the jury: That shoe is not a black plain stitched cap toe.

I would suggest, your honour, and jurists, that that shoe should be a quarter brogue or semi brogue with a punch cap.

The colour perhaps should be black to give the most versatility although a very dark brown would be even possibly more versatile depending on your business/suit/formal wearing ratio to casual.

A plain stitched captoe is too formal and too limiting and not suitable (small word play) for jeans. On the other hand a restrained semi brogue will be just fine with a suit. And anything in between.

As far as closed or open laces then again on our "curve" open laces are held to be more country or casual. However most people won't notice or care. And even SF obsessives wont be to fussed if they see you wearing semi brogues with a suit. Hell some of them would wear double monks undone and with no socks with a suit.

There is another good reason to prefer open laces if this is your "first" shoe and you want (or most likely are forced to) to order online.
An open laced shoe is more forgiving and easier to fit. (So is a monk or chukka but we aren't going down that path here).
The open laced shoe will give you more wriggle (another word play) room if you have a high arch and also allow you to adjust length somewhat.
The open laced shoe has more volume around the arch and foot at the ball - you can use that as height (vertical) or width (horizontal) or a bit of both - in addition open laced can also allow you to mildly push the foot back a bit more into the heel. Or allow it to push forward a bit.
This is a better choice until you get your size x brand x last sorted.
In effect an open laced shoe allows you to make more mistakes in sizing and understand what your foot needs..

So given the above I'd suggest that you look at getting yourself a semi brogue open laced shoe online. Probably in black but possibly in a very dark brown.

Then after you have worn them a while and sorted, relatively, size issues, then decide if your next shoe, based on wearing context needs, should be more casual, less casual or more formal or less formal. That is you pick the middle of the curve, for versatility, fit and price and then build your shoes and next purchases around either end as real needs dictate. Avoiding outliers.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, 
If a pair of jeans is a stretch denim, assuming no pressure, will it stay the same size over time or will it distort?
I'm considering the RM Williams 2 x $220 deal - I'm definitely going the linesman in a sueded bone but wouldn't mind one in an indigo denim like my beloved 501s. 

In my experience everything with stretch in it eventually end up bagging at key points like knees and arse. And some times it twists in weird ways. I have a theory, and no evidence , that it seems to me that less than 1% stretch material is ok. Stretch doesn't seem to make any significant difference to waist.

Ms fxh likes stretchy. She thinks I'm silly. I say I wont tell her if her pants look droopy ***********.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Guys, 

You should explore some other brands..

iSurg

Reaction score
Dude, this is Oli we are taking about. He loves RMW. End of story.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, 

I would say spend $200-$250 on one pair of quality denim .

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my experience everything with stretch in it eventually end up bagging at key points like knees and arse. And some times it twists in weird ways. I have a theory, and no evidence , that it seems to me that less than 1% stretch material is ok. Stretch doesn't seem to make any significant difference to waist.

Ms fxh likes stretchy. She thinks I'm silly. I say I wont tell her if her pants look droopy ***********.

I don't get it personally - denim gives a little anyway. If you don't like how it fits then don't buy that fit.

You should explore some other brands..

I like other stuff too (MJ Bale, P. Johnson, Suit Shop, Levis and Filson) but RMWs are the true Australian brand.

I don't like the whole #sprez thing or SFers dressing like British aristocrats despite living in Redfern. It's like a sphinx in the louvre - out of time and out of place.

I grew up in a rural Catholic community, with people wearing blazers and jeans in the summer and a Harris tweed and moleskins in the winter. Looking back, it was authentic, suiting the lifestyle and climate without being forced. Something I'm trying to replicate.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get it personally - denim gives a little anyway. If you don't like how it fits then don't buy that fit.
I like other stuff too (MJ Bale, P. Johnson, Suit Shop, Levis and Filson) but RMWs are the true Australian brand.

I don't like the whole #sprez thing or SFers dressing like British aristocrats despite living in Redfern. It's like a sphinx in the louvre - out of time and out of place.

I grew up in a rural Catholic community, with people wearing blazers and jeans in the summer and a Harris tweed and moleskins in the winter. Looking back, it was authentic, suiting the lifestyle and climate without being forced. Something I'm trying to replicate.

If I am not mistaken the cost of pair of boots is about $400. RMW claims to be bush out fitter. I wonder how many bush people can actually afford rmw.
In City rmw is mostly worn by guys who either 1. phony/Pretenders and or 2. who don't know any better and think guys in category 1 are real and try to replicate them.
That is my opinion. And I don't mean to offend anyone.

BTW rmw clothing line is complete junk - makes me want to throw up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads