1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

all new cars drop at least 20% in value the minute you drive them home. Then at a slower rate, forever until they reach a negative value. That is you have to pay a wrecker to take them away!

Second hand cars do exactly the same things, the same way as new cars do, but depreciate at a slower rate. I've never understood why people buy new cars. I also doubt that Toyota is genuinely offering money @ 1%. There has to be a catch. Like Harvey Norman's interest free , hn interest free involves a big upfront fee higher than bank interest.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

My mate loves his. Don't know if he gets it off road that often though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fxh [​IMG]

all new cars drop at least 20% in value the minute you drive them home. Then at a slower rate, forever until they reach a negative value. That is you have to pay a wrecker to take them away!

Second hand cars do exactly the same things, the same way as new cars do, but depreciate at a slower rate. I've never understood why people buy new cars. I also doubt that Toyota is genuinely offering money @ 1%. There has to be a catch. Like Harvey Norman's interest free , hn interest free involves a big upfront fee higher than bank interest.

They do - but I've seen 2-3 year old 4cl Jap cars sit at around $18K on carsales.com.au and ebay.

I'd rather get the exact specs I want and spend a couple more $$$. Plus, you reduce your risk of a dodgy seller dramatically.

Couldn't tell you about the deals. The car market had some good offers post GFC though.

Note: I have a bias towards 4cyl Nippons. The second hand car market when it comes to 6cyl, 8 cyl, luxury and 4WD seems to be a completely different kettle of fish.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

This. After moving back to Melbourne I realised I would certainly need a car. (Melbourne hasn't changed that much after all.) So I bought a ten-year-old car under finance. (Yes, it can be done. I have a miracle-worker of a broker.)

I bought well, the car won't depreciate that much now, and so I will never be negatively geared on this deal.

If I wanted a "new" car I would buy a current model which is a year old with <20K on the dial, from its original private owner, preferably female.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Coxy, spot on.

I have driven and bought many new cars - whole fleets of them. But it wasn't my own money. I hate the new car smell and genuinely can't see value in new cars for private owners.

1 person likes this.
  5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Pretty hard to argue with the 1 year logic above, as in most instances the cars barely have many kms on them, in some instances still have that new car smell and you've avoided the highest depreciation period...that being said its a nice feeling at least once to pick up your own brand spanking new car.

1 person likes this.
  6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

What about leasing cars through salary packagers? You never actually buy the car outright, and you can pay for all of your operating costs and fuel out of pre-tax income.

7. sliq

sliq Senior member

this. though it'd only be worthwhile for someone earning some good coin.

1 person likes this.
  8. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Sometimes, a new car is just plain awesome. ;)

Happy to allow some depreciation if I'm driving like a boss. Life's too short.
    PS: thoughts on the CLA AMG, Rob?

2 people like this.
  9. fxh

fxh Senior member

that's a whole different deal.

But remember its a legislated subsidy, politely called a tax break, to prop up the oz car industry and hence likely to disappear. The already had one crack at it then backed off, but now the car industry has abandon oz, scrapping the subsidy will be on the agenda.

As to novated leases, it depends. I've seen people having to find money to deal with horrendous payouts on car after losing a job. Double whammy, no income and big payout on 'luxury' car that's lost value.

10. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

Ah, I've had many a road trip through the jungles of Borneo in a Pajero. It's a shame all the new 4WD look like puffed up Tupperware, I like the older angular/boxy/tank designs. I guess safety takes the front seat now.

I'm starting to feel the same about guitars, but then again there really aren't any 'new guitar smells'. New Macs however...

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I prefer Unnamed Player to you.

2 people like this.
  12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Sorry, sorry. Let's talk shirts.

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

The idea of someone else wearing in my Fender Jazz makes me rage.

14. jmills

jmills Senior member

I'm actually picking up a golf tomorrow, so you know what my vote is!

2 people like this.
  15. joiji

joiji Senior member

Not Rob but had a spin in a A45 when they came out. If the CLA45 is similar, it's a great buy.

1 person likes this.
  16. md2010

md2010 Senior member

You buy cars according to your income. Anyone with good credit history can borrow full purchase price of a car. Car will depreciate its value - but it will not stop people buying cars altogether. You only live once - if you love the car and can afford it then go and buy. Does anyone owns an x3 here ? Planning to get one.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

HN give there interest free deals through GE credit, there are no upfront fees. The catch is that it's 22% interest and if you have any owing at the end of the loan they charge you A compounded 22% for the life of life of it.

Jimmy

As another father here's my two cents in the car loan discussion. My son an apprentice Chippie (on shite wages) went to the bank after he found a ute for 5 grand. First the bank offered him 20 g, no thanks he's paying the money off over 12 months at 8%.

Personally unless you think the new car will get you laid buy new suits. Who needs a car in Sydney anyway?

1 person likes this.
  18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

New solid wood acoustic guitars can, depending on the wood since the inside is unfinished. I doubt that sold body electric guitars would.

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

If you want a new car, and can afford a new car, buy one. All this other talk is just silly. Just buy what you want and can afford and anything else is bum fluff.

1 person likes this.
  20. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

If you have $5k saved then surely you can't afford a new car.

FWIW having driven in 911's, 458s, m6's, etc as nice as they are - and they are fucking lovely, don't get me wrong - without some sort of tax write off, or unless you're on big big dollars (in which case you wouldn't be posing the question in the first place, as you'd just buy it), they are waaaay down on my purchase list.

Give me that $400k towards a house before I put it towards a car. Spend enough on the house that you'll be so close to everything you won't even need the car.

If anyone has ever caught the tube from LHR to London, you go past the suburbs around Heathrow, which are very working class, populated by airport employees at the lower end of the food chain. Renting, or owning small run down terraces on main roads. Without fail, every single one has a brand new merc/bmw/audi at the minimum. Priorities, anybody?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.