1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

[​IMG]

BEAUTIFUL mullet, jumper and ears. Compliments.

3 people like this.
  2. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

Great colours on Toyota badge. Compliments.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. jmills

jmills Senior member

Cheers. I was concerned that they'd be only worn occasionally. I'll stick to old faithful, brown suede.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  4. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

The SWD "Show us your best Leather Jackets". $3k seems awfully expensive to me. I spend $780 on my jackets from TOJ, which are often regarded as the best leather jackets in the world, and unquestionably unbeatable at that price. Tom Ford uses the same lamb leather on his $10000 jackets. I am looking forward to wearing a leather jacket every day of the week. I have a black calf double rider, black lamb A2, black lamb MA1, and black goat Moto11 on the way. All MTM.
    Quote:
    It's not very common here , I can't think of any places that stock it here in Melbourne, and it's also very expensive. I'm possibly the only male person I know my age who spends money like I do on clothes. I'm also the only person I know who spends his money wisely on clothes, IE, not buying $300 GSTAR jeans.

Quote: I don't really want to stand out. I want to be well dressed, to often for a lot of people this means standing out. I like creating my own style. To often do I see people following certain aesthetics. The most predominant one being "#workwear". People wearing Redwings or Wolverines, duck canvas or heavy denim,a tee or button down collared shirt and a chore coat. I sort of went that way because I used to believe that dressing well went hand in hand with standing out. Now I look at this kind of aesthetic and think; "Why on earth would someone want to dress like that, I'm not a 1920's American who can barely put food on the Table". I'm Adam, a 20yo Computer Science student*, avid Video Game player, enjoyer of raves and discos, reader and Pizza Shop worker amongst other things. I wish to dress for who I am, Adam, not someone else.

*Just because I do CompSci doesn't mean I'm going to wear dad jeans and a fedora everywhere.

On a slightly related note. I've decided to attempt to stop sitting at my computer browsing clothes all day. I need to stop obsessing over what is in my Wardrobe and just wear clothes. It's time to be a lot more carefree and focus on other, much more important things in life.

2 people like this.
  5. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Adam, what's wrong with this??

An m65 with a plain t-shirt, indigo jeans and boots is my favorite rig.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that's a good idea!

Get outside and get some sunshine, take a stroll in the park, enjoy wearing your clothes without worrying about them.

1 person likes this.
  7. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

You can hand your ID in at reception then. You never go full retard.

6 people like this.
  8. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

It's completely excessive - like buying a Brioni suit for weddings. The purchase price can't be judtified from a material POV, suffice to say that creating that sort of leather jacket requires a level of skill and detail that few can bother with, and the price rises accordingly, combined with the artisinal label and it's a high price. Having handled some, they are noticeably amazing, but I would drop $3k Euro on one ever. Knowing why they cost what they do and think that it's worth it are two separate things.

The most compelling reason is also (kind of) the most laughable - umbel wrote something about how the clothing is so much a costume that one ends feeling like one is in a movie, or a cooler, leaner, meaner more stylish version of oneself. Kind of like how putting on the perfect suit just makes you stop and look at yourself and go 'damn'.

YY is only stocked at one store, and is hellishly expensive (even for what it is). Step into sneakerboy, there's a lot of 'difference' there in the staff's clothes.

I don't know why it's so conformist (is it? I don't have anything to compare it to), but I suspect maybe some of the reasoning lies in Adam's response - if most people just want to look like a marginally cooler version of themselves (and I'm assuming most people are pretty conventional and normal) then it'll seem pretty conformist.

As an aside, I don't really agree with Adam's perspective - all clothing is costume (granted there's obviously some more ostentaciously so than others), we're either dressing to be someone we want to be (clean, good looking, serious computer science student) or something we want to be (space cowboy, 1950s teenager), or in something we think looks amazing (1920s worker).

1 person likes this.
  9. JayH

JayH Senior member

What's the general difference (in cm higher or lower) for the buttoning point on a 3 roll 2 vs two button coat?

10. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

NO STAY INSIDE AND ARGUE POINTLESSLY ABOUT CLOTHES AND SHIT.

5 people like this.
  11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Well that's me fu@ked, only been doing wearing it 35 years. Robert Redford will have to retire as well.

2 people like this.
  12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Faux denim dress pants to the rescue.

13. Naka

Naka Senior member

Coming from someone that has moved from the conservative backwater that is Brisbane, to a comparatively progressive place like Melbourne, there is far more variety and thought put into clothing and self-representation in this city, especially, but not limited to young people. The overall tone and attitude regarding clothing in Brisbane was very stifling due to the tall-poppy syndrome, backward concepts of masculinity masking hints of homophobia, and a lack of exposure to anything remotely different. Those I came into contact with who were interested in clothing were dipping their toes in through norm-core, hype-beast or #menswear trends so as to not rock the boat. Those who did go all in were generally the type who had their own insular communities they were exposed to, which can happen in Melbourne often too. Things were starting to get a little better there and will continue to do so, but on a national scale Melbournians can be intelligently and individually clothed (at least north of the Yarra).

There's always been the 'normal' in terms of the "majority's" mode of dress, but the conformism and straightjacketedness might come from the rise of fast fashion and the crazy amounts of media and advertisement young people are subject to these days. The same cookie-cutter shit being spoon-fed to young people as the "new trend", and at affordable prices.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Naka-san! Ohisashiburi!

I must admit to being curious as to which camp I fall into!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  15. Naka

Naka Senior member

Gobusata desu.

Definitely the latter, Mr. Howard, like most of us on this forum. The benefit of our insular community is it's global reach and perspective. Do you ever find yourself browsing SW&D? I think you could rock a lot of Yohji's colourful clothing!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

17. sliq

sliq Senior member

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

washed out jeans are the best - comfy too

posted this gut-shot before, washed out RRL straight leg 14oz cone mills selvedge,

GAP fatigue jacket, PJohnson long sleeve polo, snuff tods + red swatch

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Happy Easter Aussies.

Rob - great pic.

Cone Mills Selvedge is excellent. I just bought a pair of Tellason jeans and they feel excellent once broken into.

Edit: The Tellason story -

If anyone is looking for a good pair of jeans you can try them on at Maple Store in Sydney. Their prices are very good too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    3 people like this.
  20. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Fellas, long time no post. This winter I'm going to dress a little more casually with sport coats and cords instead of full suits. I'm thinking of getting a windowpane navy jacket to mix things up similar to the pattern below. Yay or should I stick with a plain navy?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.