• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence . Please supply references.

OK, bearing in mind that this is not a look I myself could pull off - I think that for at university or at a casual dinner with friends (for example), if you had the confidence (and possibly age and figure) to pull it off, camo trousers and a blue/navy blazer could work.

It depends on the cut and formality of the trousers. Foxhoun's seem appropriate.

http://epauletnewyork.com/products/rivet-chino-woodland-digital-camo

Here are a few (very rough) examples (based on a two minute Google search), some executed better than others (spoilered for those who will really hate this look).

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who wants an MJ Bale suit: 40R, 50% wool and 50% linen, 34 trousers unaltered (hemmed with 5cm cuffs, but this can be let out to the full length as required). $199 - PM me for more info. Worn 4 times.

Also, flannel suit I'm selling reduced to $299.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, bearing in mind that this is not a look I myself could pull off - I think that for at university or at a casual dinner with friends (for example), if you had the confidence (and possibly age and figure) to pull it off, camo trousers and a blue/navy blazer could work.

Here are a few (very rough) examples (based on a two minute Google search), some executed better than others (spoilered for those who will really hate this look).

I rest my case

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The article about Suit Shop, and its allusion to the gradual loss of local tailoring/cutting/stitching skills requiring outsourcing of those processes to China, is interesting.

Last night I walked into a bespoke tailoring shopfront here in Shanghai. There were clothes on the racks but they were demonstrators, not for sale. Everything was MTM. The guy I spoke to seemed to be the owner of the business (I qualify that by observing that you can never really know in China - everyone wants you to think they are the boss). He showed me jackets and suits with labels such as Corneliani and Canali, designs which apparently he is licensed to make to measure for his clients. His factory is in Dalian, in north-eastern China. The jackets were largely machine-stitched and quality of the workmanship was mid-level. Designs were reasonably up-to-date, with many unstructured linen jackets, double-breasted seersuckers and so on. The actual boutique was located in a hotel foyer, opposite one of Shanghai's best Italian restaurants. Italian expats are always coming and going, so if this place is a fake, surely someone would have dobbed this guy in by now.

So I'm wondering. Is it really the case that high-end Italian brands like Canali and Corneliani are licensing their brand to guys like this? Isn't that a massive risk to their reputation? There's no way a bunch of ex-potato farmers in a sweatshop in a second-tier Chinese city are going to replicate the quality of Neapolitan tailoring. Or is there?

I should add: the prices this guy was quoting seemed no cheaper than for similar MTM garments at say, Harrolds or American Tailors. Maybe pricier.

I would have grave doubts that they were the genuine article. I find it difficult to believe that brands would outsource their manufacturing to some guy with a factory in Northern China. I was in discussions with a guy who owns 5 high end tailoring shops in Shanghai and a couple in Beijing but decided against working with him after a few warnings from people I trust. Not saying that this is him of course.

When I'm in Asia I see fake stuff everywhere but I don't dash of emails to the manufacturer. I was recently offered some Holland & Sherry fabric. Any colour and pattern I wanted complete with selvedge. I know what genuine H&S wool costs and I also know what I would have to pay for some clearance stock at auction and this guy was offering less than a third of that price. There was no way it was real so I told him to take a hike.

A lot of people are often surprised just how expensive Asian tailoring can be. They get the impression they can pick up high quality suits for a couple of hundred bucks and are shocked when the price can rise to the thousands. Sure, labour is inexpensive but high quality fabrics can actually be even more expensive and harder to obtain than they are in western countries. One of my tailors supplies a store in the Pudong financial district and the suits start at US$1,500 for what I consider some fairly average fabric

Yes you can go to the markets are pick up a cheap suit but that's exactly what you get. A cheap suit. Quality fabrics and tailoring aren't cheap anywhere. There are great suits available in Asia for prices that are excellent when you compare them to similar suits in western countries but a $200 suit is a $200 no matter where you buy it

Yes, that was pretty much the way I felt about it. I'm no industry insider, but there was something about these clothes that said "very high-end attempt, but still fake". I'm reassured by your comment. I would hate to think that these brands were pimping themselves. I can get Canali MTM in Sydney but it's only via the Canali boutique AFAIK. Harrolds offer bespoke Tom Ford but it's a Tom Ford booth within the store. Which is how it should be.

PM'ed you the shop details FYI.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You asked for it.
Thanks PS, btw you have an ace 'gram. I try and learn but I need to look super good tonight. Chasing a girl.
That is the kind of outfit and place I was thinking about. My Instagram (http://instagram.com/pinksocks), like my Tumblr (http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/), is just a place where I add random images which inspire me or I want to reference later. Thank you for the compliment In terms on getting the girl, my advice (and who the hell am I to give advice on this) is keep your outfit simple and sharp and pay far more attention to her than your outfit. Though there was a funny quote on The Trad website a couple of days ago. "Someone asked, "Why the life long obsession with clothes?" I really have no recollection of what I wore until I was 12 or 13...
and that quickly evolved into getting dressed so that she'd get undressed." (Speaking of The Trad, for thebrownman, Journeyman and any other man who is a Michael Bastian fan - http://thetrad.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Michael Bastian) Oh, and a timely post from VoxSart - http://www.voxsartoria.com/post/56842052951/confidence-essential-to-menswear

Last edited:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*Watching Q&A (on which thebrownman is famous for tweeting on) last night my wife comment that stand-in host Virginia Trioli looked good (in a white jacket), which lead to a discussion where we concluded that though she is no classic beauty, VT always has a good appearance because, among other things, she carries herself with confidence.

She's not known as 'I Trioli' for no reason.

Thanks PS, btw you have an ace 'gram. I try and learn but I need to look super good tonight. Chasing a girl.

Danite or topy. You don't want to slip.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the kind of outfit and place I was thinking about.

My Instagram (http://instagram.com/pinksocks), like my Tumblr (http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/), is just a place where I add random images which inspire me or I want to reference later. Thank you for the compliment

In terms on getting the girl, my advice (and who the hell am I to give advice on this) is keep your outfit simple and sharp and pay far more attention to her than your outfit.

Though there was a funny quote on The Trad website a couple of days ago.

"Someone asked, "Why the life long obsession with clothes?" I really have no recollection of what I wore until I was 12 or 13...

and that quickly evolved into getting dressed so that she'd get undressed."

(Speaking of The Trad, for thebrownman, Journeyman and any other man who is a Michael Bastian fan - http://thetrad.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Michael Bastian)

Oh, and a timely post from VoxSart - http://www.voxsartoria.com/post/56842052951/confidence-essential-to-menswear
Yeah, I can pull off that stuff, because hey, I'm 19. And I look like I'm 12.

I won't get the girl, just get friendzoned :)

BaldwinP

Reaction score
any recommendations for decent and thin socks for under $20 a pair? all i have is this van heusen crap that disintegrates after 2 washes or so

thanks
After wearing through "brand" socks in stupidly short periods of time, I gave up and bought a bunch of generic wool and generic cotton socks this summer at Queen Vic Market for like $4 a pair . They are comfortable and have shown no signs of wearing out yet.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Wrong attitude. You don't have to get the girl. The girl has to get you.

Your seduction of her would of course be successful (as it always is), but can you actually be bothered? You need to subtly instil anxiety in her regarding this point. But do it with sprezzatura.

If you go home alone, it means she didn't pass muster. Always remember this.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

Whisper sweet nothings in her ear, followed by playful jostling featuring headlock- friendzone will be completely out of the picture

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not take advice from people you don't know on an internet forum about how to get the girl. The irony here being...

bboowwyy

Reaction score
Any gents interested in some Zegna shirts?
All de-tagged & like new.
Looking for $50 for mainline ones, $45 for Z Zegna, $55 for couture.
All neck sizes are on the collars.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHbdPDu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads