1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Senior member

Soooo henry bucks is going to be bringing carminas into their stores. Wonder how they will be priced

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I make an estimate at around the same price they have Church's for, $699. I believe they're only getting five or six different styles in, which is a bit disappointing, but their range has never been huge. I highly doubt they'll be stocking Cordorvan. I've heard Alden will also be there, but again, I doubt their range will be big. I'd hazard a guess at $999 for calf Indy Boots, if they even stock them.

3. TimelessMan

TimelessMan Well-Known Member

A nice surprise from the courier today: [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Food is cheap. Lunch at Atelier Joel Robuchon in Central is excellent. Prices during afternoon tea in most yumcha establishments are really good value for money.

Tailoring (whether bespoke or alterations of RTW) is still good value in places outside of SF approved establishments, but you probably need to speak Cantonese.

Armoury is nosebleed expensive, and most things in Armoury you can order online anyway. Tassels might be worth a look as they stock Bontonis, which is much more difficult to buy online.

Stay away from Jantzen. Stay away from any branded establishments eg Canali, LV, Gucci, Dior, Chanel, Paul Smith. Prices are ridiculous, even during sales.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Plastic and tin shoe trees? Everyone knows only Hanger Project cedar shoe trees absorb moisture sufficiently to allow your shoes to recover. Next you'll be telling us your coathangers are also a ragtag assortment of misfit styles and sizes, or that you own shirts that aren't blue...

6. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Senior member

Hmm i suppose if you know your size, its not going to be of great value vs going direct, unless your extremely impatient.

Would be good to get an Alden stockist though, i didn't know they were looking at that. Hopefully they stock the tassels

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

OCBD = Obsessive Compulsive Business Dress.

1 person likes this.
  8. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

Awesome, details and pics? So keen for some G&G action. My Mrs thinks I have a problem...

Still nice to support a local shop, even for the added benefit of trying before buying. Henry Bucks seems to be a mixed bag on service and always pricey so I won't hold my breath.

9. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Ruzzi, I had a good look at this last year - researching before and when I was over there. The only real relative bargains in HK - leaving aside electronics, which I don't know enough about - are some high end watches (but not others, for no rhyme or reason I could see), cosmetics, prescription glasses and Lee Baron (if you're looking at bespoke sub-$1000). And food, of course, as PP says.

10. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Very nice.. did you size down for the loafer? Also.. looking forward to the review? :p

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

I prefer the terms bricolage or d├ętournement (or for the plebs, eclectic) to the descriptor ragtag, if its all the same to you. And yes my hangers are a tasteful and comprehensive range across the varouis years and design influences.

I do have a bunch of (hand-carved) cedar shoe trees. And yes I am aware I am perhaps missing out on the magical qualities of wooden shoes trees that can amazingly resist absorbing any water /moisture at all from the atmosphere for years but instantly suck up any stinking male foot sweat and toe jam moisture from inside a leather (goodyear welted natch) shoe instantaneously, whilst simultaneously recognising the difference between stinking male foot sweat and toe jam moisture and bees vomit. wax, crushed leaves carnauba, sheeps fat lanolin and metho, filtering the information and leaving the shoe leather full of fatty goodness but drained of foot excretions. Given that sweat is mostly water with a little bit of salt, this filtering, or moisture discrimination ability, to resist water in any form but feet sweat, is indeed a scientifically remarkably property of cedar shoe trees.

2 people like this.
  12. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

It's the scientific discovery of the decade!

We could call the rate of non-sweat-moisture transfer into the cedar 'Kirby's constant '. It's directional, and based upon magic.

13. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

Thanks PetePan and Stiva - guess i'll stick to the food!

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

But, can you topy your shoe trees?

15. charliechan

They'll last longer as it will keep away the accrued dirt and sweat from your shoes that are worn without socks

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

You could check out Peter Lee at Lee Baron - I know a few people who have commissioned suits and jackets from them and they've worked out very well.

He charges around $700 for a two piece, fully-canvassed suit in English fabric such as J&J Minnis, with horn buttons.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Topy stops the wood from breathing - what if you happened to end up with asthmatic trees that died because you topy'd them? How would you feel then? Huh? Huh? Huh?

18. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I couldn't care less. My shoe tree's are #menswear shoe tree's! Meaning they're never pictured without a cigarette in hand.

19. charliechan

Ever heard of synthetic shoe trees?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

This discussion is all very droll, but it's missing an answer to the crucial question - should I use Saphir polish on my shoe trees or will it dry out the wood? If that is the case, should I then apply some Renovateur?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.