• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tie and jumper check! As for ...............

Well, at least you spoilered it. However, once clicked on, it can't be unseen. And I hate you for that.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone want a casual jacket for the weekends?

It's Benetton, Size S, fits 38-40 chest, $40 posted within Australia. It's in very good to excellent condition. This is what it looks like:

Please PM me for more info.

nakky

Reaction score

im on a hunt for a new briefcase/tote and would appreciate suggestions

Can be either leather or canvas (or combo) but mustnt be overly heavy

Porter

Many variations and collabs to choose from. All quality

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I really like this loden jacket from Aspesi. Not seen: elbow patches. I like the pockets - somehow they seem rather Tyrolean to me. The entire garment just looks really soft and comfy, while still retaining some style. Works out to around A$500 shipped to Australia, from the Aspesi website. Do Aspesi have any retailers in Australia? Romp, do you guys happen to ship this sort of stuff?
Very sharp especially on a skinny guy.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With this nice weather in Melbourne (and given how bloody hot this country gets), here are a hot of interesting articles on dressing for the heat I have read in the last few days.

Some solid, classic advice fro Simon Crompton of Permanent Style - http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2013/07/how-to-dress-in-hot-weather.html

For fxh
"2 Go sockless

“But it’s hot today, and I don’t have a linen suit.” So first thing: take off your socks. If you generally wear over-the-calf socks, like me, this can make a vast difference to the coolness of your legs. It goes against the point of over-the-calf, of course, as you are exposing ungentlemanly leg hair, but needs must. The look is particularly effective when everything else is formal: navy cotton suit, shirt and tie, calf slip-ons…and bare ankles.

If you find this uncomfortable, try the cut-away socks that sit below the line of the shoe – often called trainer socks. Trunk in London sells some good Tabio ones, as does A Suitable Wardrobe."

And from The New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/fashion/manning-up-in-the-heat.html?ref=fashion&_r=0

Michael Bastian once again highlights why he is such as great designer (in my humble opinion) with his slightly different take on things.

It’s no surprise that Michael Bastian, known for his sexed-up, Eur-refined take on preppy Americana, would favor the look himself whatever the season. But given that Mr. Bastian, like many fashion designers, makes clothes that look more luxuriously functional than they act, it’s refreshing to hear that he has good tips up his sleeve.

• Dark, check. You might think that the summer dress-shirt code would banish dark colors and somber plaids. No, he said. His own code calls for the darkest and/or plaidest shirts you can find: they camouflage sweat and wrinkles better than anything else. “A little pattern, a little color and a little texture will hide a lot,” he said.

• Stay away from denim. Especially heavy denim, or any jeans that are too tight. They trap moisture and heat on your legs, which makes your whole body feel hotter and heavier. Find the best loosefitting, lightweight cotton pants you can, and buy a few pairs so they’re always ready to roll.

• Nix the undershirt. “It’s just one more layer,” he said. “And there’s nothing worse than a wet T-shirt.” If you’re going out on the town after work, bring an extra dress shirt to work. (And make it easy by asking your laundry to fold some of your shirts instead of putting them on hangers.)

• Upgrade and use the finishing touches. “If you’re going to dress more casually, you can really lift your look with accessories,” he said. A good watch, a signet ring, an alligator belt and an excellent, well-shined pair of brogues or loafers (which slip on and off easily) are examples. (But, he added, lose the socks. “I ditched those at 70 degrees,” he said.)

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weather is beautiful today.
Here's a picture on the fit of my Xaviar Blue

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Straight up got so much time for Bastian. Rate him highly.

You and me both TBM, love when the Gant in Chapel Street gets more his collaborations in. Wish Henry Bucks or somewhere stocked his stuff. Not quite sure of the fit...got my eye on a pair of trousers but never having much luck buying trousers online.

I like these - http://cache.mrporter.com/product/333347

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Weather is beautiful today. Here's a picture on the fit of my Xaviar Blue
I got two tickets to Iron Maiden baby Come with me Friday, don't say maybe Sorry to quote Teenage Dirtbag. That jacket is a nice colour. I'm concerned you'll get some noticeable collar gap on the right side, but without a collared shirt on underneath, it's difficult to tell for sure.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im on a hunt for a new briefcase/tote and would appreciate suggestions

Can be either leather or canvas (or combo) but mustnt be overly heavy

currently use a filson 256 which i find is a tad cheapo and also has become too small for my new role.

Daily carrying requirements:
13inch macbook air + charger + mouse
Mini ipad
pens
cards
notebook
lunch container

Id be guessing that the filson 257 would be an ideal size but I dont want another filson. Ettinger was on the list but a bit too "blogger" for me

not overly concerned about price - just want to find the "ideal" bag for me price aside i.e. I value quality and practicality - whether it be $50 or $500

I've placed an order with this chap: http://www.htleather.co.uk/category/briefcases

Haven't received it yet, but I believe Akula has one.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foxhound - that may be the first outfit on this thread to feature a black Iron Maiden T shirt.
Thats alright but I'm afraid that it will cause a rash of posters, Gerry Nelson, meister, G Firmin etc to brave up and admit they still rock the black Iron Maiden T shirt under an orphan suit coat when they step out on sat night.

I'm even more afraid they'll post pics.

jmills

Reaction score
Also check out Frank Clegg.

Any thoughts on ghurka or lotuff?

If I'm not confused, they were formerly Lotuff & Clegg, and now have gone their separate ways. You might find more info about them under their old name.

I hear good things about them, particularly Clegg. I was looking at getting an English Briefcase from him - he has some already made up. Depending on what colour you want, you might be lucky!

Edit: I did some quick googling - http://putthison.com/post/8736262090/lotuff-and-clegg-a-review-lotuff-and-clegg

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foxhound - that may be the first outfit on this thread to feature a black Iron Maiden T shirt.
Thats alright but I'm afraid that it will cause a rash of posters, Gerry Nelson, meister, G Firmin etc to brave up and admit they still rock the black Iron Maiden T shirt under an orphan suit coat when they step out on sat night.

I'm even more afraid they'll post pics.

Iron Maiden? Sabath Bloody Sabath and worn under a LL Bean flannelette shirt thank you. :slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads