1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I like Smartwool. Also for boot socks/hiking/snow socks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Bonds/Alpha/Rio FTW

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I tried Viccel. I found them unbearably thin & sent them back. Sure looked nice though.

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

You are in top form, Mr Socks!

1 person likes this.
  6. TommyT

TommyT Active Member

It is a green. Just the poor lighting and photography.

7. TommyT

TommyT Active Member

Luc is a good guy.

It has been a long a sad decline for Herringbone who really pioneered the #menswear market as we know it today. Their problem is that they have not been able to adapt to the market which at one end if going to higher end MTM and the other end cheaper online and off the rack garments.

1 person likes this.
  8. Tano

Tano Senior member

Thanks for all the replies guys. Do you have the wool variant of bresciani? I'm replacing my cotton socks since I'm known in the office as the guy with squeaky shoes and it's either replace cotton with will socks or keep using talc powder in my shoes to stop the squeek.

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

At the moment I've only got cotton in stock I'm afraid. Wool will come eventually but Ive only carried them for a few months. Though in saying that, I've never really had a problem with cotton socks squeaking, I've always found the shoes had more to do with it than the socks.

1 person likes this.
  10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Tommy, I'm sure that he's a great guy in person, but I (and I do realise that this is subjective) find his menswear writing to be irritating most of the time, both in style and content.

However, I also realise that he's writing for a particular market and that market likely doesn't include me - he's more competing with other menswear publications like GQ and so on.

I think that's part of it. However, I also think that their range for the past couple of years has, in the main, been really lacking in any inspiration. There's been a lot of dross, and not many gems.

That's probably because of a combination of factors - the Van Laack takeover, the departure of Matt Jensen and (later) John Mutton, the back-end merger with Rhodes & Beckett - but when I look back at the suits and jackets that they used to have and compare them to the current offerings, I feel disappointed at what Herringbone has become. They had some fantastic suits, some in conservative fabrics and some in rather off-the-wall fabrics, and some great odd jackets, too, but now their stuff is either terribly bland or so out there (boating blazer in navy with a bright, broad, deep red stripe, anyone?) that I don't suspect that they would appeal to many people.

They've also, I feel, missed the boat on using social media. When Ethan Newton was working for them, he did a great job of publicising them on his blog and after he left, Herringbone started their own blog, The Weave, but it's been largely abandoned and it seems that they now only make a post every couple of months - and those posts are usually just to advertise an upcoming sale!

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Antonio's Colours (I colori di Antonio)
    ACMI - Sat 8 Mar 2014, 2.30pm
    A discussion about tailoring in Melbourne will follow the screening on Sat 8 Mar at 2.30pm. Christian Kimber (Henry Bucks), Adriano Carbone (Master Tailor) and Mitchell Oakley Smith (Manuscript) will join Luc Wiesman (D'Marge) on stage.

Buller? Buller? Anyone?

12. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

During question time can someone please identify themselves as being 'from Styleforum - Aussies thread' and ask whether they topy their shoes

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

"Hey, just wondering, um, how much does it cost to topy a PJ suit?"

1 person likes this.
  14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Hi JM, when did this happen? Do you have a source (I believe you fully just interested in reading more.

15. TommyT

TommyT Active Member

That is a fair summation.

Here's hoping they can rediscover some of their old charm and customer base.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

DR, from memory Van Laack (which already owned Herringbone) bought Rhodes & Beckett in the second half of 2012.

I was told about it by the then-manager of the Brisbane Herringbone store, who said that VL was merging back office/management operations for Herringbone and Rhodes & Beckett (and thus also the R&B lower line/spin-off Boston Brothers) in the interests of efficiency.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Tommy, my fingers are crossed, but I don't hold out much hope.

When I look at some of the Herringbone stuff in my wardrobe from years past - a suit in a light brown PoW check with a sky-blue overcheck with unpadded shoulders; a grey mini-houndstooth check suit with pagoda shoulders by Ring Jacket; a mid-grey flannel suit in a large-scale glen plaid with waist patch pockets and so on - and then compare it to their current range I feel as though it will be difficult for them to come back.

Obviously, next season could be different but I have my doubts. If I remember correctly, their current managing director was their former 2IC/head designer/purchaser so clearly her influence has been strongly felt for the past few seasons and it is those same seasons that have been, by and large, so uninspiring.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Brilliant guys. I will see what I can do. Maybe I will ask if they know a good alterations place in Darwin too.

1 person likes this.
  19. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Van Laack owns both R&B and Herringbone - this is well known, prehistoric information.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.