• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They would be dry cleanable wouldnt they?  Its a good point you make though.  I know only 2 ppl have given opinions but I expected there to be a strong sway to navy, I am a little surprised by the beige love hrmm decisions.

Another vote for beige here - I've got a Burberry trench in the "classic" beige (or "taupe", as I think Burberry call it) colour and I wouldn't have it in any other colour.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I'm selling a few things, please PM me for further information:

1. Crockett & Jones Belgrave Handgrade shoes in Antique Chestnut Calf, Size 9E UK, brand new in box

2. MJ Bale Blue Grey Flannel Suit, size 40R, brand new with tags, $350 including shipping

3. MJ Bale Mudgee Weave Grey Trousers, brand new with tags, $110 including domestic shipping

4. Herringbone Sydney white OCBD shirt, size L slim fit, brand new with tags, $60 including domestic shipping

More stuff to be put up, particularly Herringbone shirts in size 39 neck or slim fit large. If there's something in particular that you're after, PM me and I may be able to assist :)

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for beige here - I've got a Burberry trench in the "classic" beige (or "taupe", as I think Burberry call it) colour and I wouldn't have it in any other colour.

Cheers, sounds like SF has spoken, only two votes for Navy were from some non SF'ers.

2. MJ Bale Blue Grey Flannel Suit, size 40R, brand new with tags, $350 including shipping

Its a good looking suit hope it disappears quick at that price, I would have grabbed it when you had it at a higher price but I just don't think those trousers will tailor well from a 34 to a 31.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like beige macs/trenches too, but here's a factor--my beige TM Lewin mac is starting to look dirty around the cuffs, and I don't think macs are washable (correct me if I'm wrong). Navy would obvioiusly show the dirt much less than beige or camel.

It might be simpler to wash your wrists!

Basically anything can be washed. Wool trousers, shirts, shoes suede and leather - etc. (and btw Dry cleaning isn't DRY). It just depends how careful you are with washing and in many cases the drying.

Mostly - washing (gently) by hand in blood temperature water with no or mild soap and rinsing well , then drying flat on a towel or wiping down first and not in front of a heat source will work for anything. Your desert boots, your Meerkat shoes, your suit, your socks, undies, shirt or overcoat. I wouldn't wash a tailored jacket unless I was feeling courageous but it can be done. Most harm in washing is done in the drying - if that doesn't sound too silly. Best practice is do not wash in hot water, hand wash not machine wash, machine wash only on gentle, do not spin dry, dry flat, do not dry near heat source.

In general soap just makes water more watery. And lets it soak in and remove dirt. Too much soap just defeats the purpose and can (will) grease up the water. Most detergent manufacturers recommend you use too much soap in wash machines - they would wouldn't they - that why theres a grease build up in machines. As a general tip use half recommended dose in a machine.

Soaking the material is what really gets rid of most stains. It loosens the threads and allows trapped dirt to escape with bit of rubbing. So soaking - at least over night - will often preform miracles.

Strictly speaking, if you want your shirts to last and be easily clean, when you take them off each day/night, you should chuck them in a bucket or tub of water - straight away and leave until you are washing next. I assume you do wash regularly every 2 or 3 days. Washing shirts in cold water or warm is better for them than sending to dry cleaners - not to mention cheaper. This assumes you do not chuck them in the dryer. Ideally do not let machine to spin dry either and hang out to drip dry.

My two long overcoats get a wash every now and then. (not once a year)

The beige one has detailed and long instructions on washing on the lable - the navy one has DRY CLEAN ONLY. They are both made by the same company with the same 65%/ 35% cotton poly mix. The beige one has a heavy zip out lining which I never use anyway - so it doesn't get washed with the coat. The navy one has sewn in "normal" lining and a few washes haven't hurt it. The Navy one is calf length and the FULL Inspector Gadget - epaulets, sleeve belts, double breasted, rear button up long vent, shoulder flaps ,buttons everywhere. The beige one is also long but fly fronted - more a Colombo.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Gents,

I'm selling a few things, please PM me for further information:

1. Crockett & Jones Belgrave Handgrade shoes in Antique Chestnut Calf, Size 9E UK, brand new in box

3. MJ Bale Mudgee Weave Grey Trousers, brand new with tags, $110 including domestic shipping

4. Herringbone Sydney white OCBD shirt, size L slim fit, brand new with tags, $60 including domestic shipping

More stuff to be put up, particularly Herringbone shirts in size 39 neck or slim fit large. If there's something in particular that you're after, PM me and I may be able to assist :)

TBM can you please fatten up and extend your feet, then go and buy a whole bunch of this stuff and sell it here....one size too small for me. Oh well, easy to resist temptation.

Congratulations (you look so proud).

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like coats and jackets and even though my current locale doesn't really require one I would like to get a trench that fits me back into the wardrobe, anyone have any thoughts on the below few?
(first one is Navy not black...second one is only mid length but actually liked it in person the pic is pretty poor though)

That navy trench (second from right) looks nice

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<snip>
The beige one has detailed and long instructions on washing on the lable - the navy one has DRY CLEAN ONLY. They are both made by the same company with the same 65%/ 35% cotton poly mix. The beige one has a heavy zip out lining which I never use anyway - so it doesn't get washed with the coat. The navy one has sewn in "normal" lining and a few washes haven't hurt it. The Navy one is calf length and the FULL Inspector Gadget - epaulets, sleeve belts, double breasted, rear button up long vent, shoulder flaps ,buttons everywhere. The beige one is also long but fly fronted - more a Colombo.

That was an informative post fxh but the inspector gadget reference was priceless hadn't considered that with some of the coats :p
That navy trench (second from right) looks nice

Just a standard Burberry trench, both on the right are just burberry ones. Those are just from ebay reasonably priced, don't think I could part with the cash for retail burberry, unless they were on sale perhaps. The one on the left is all cotton though, lined.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overcoats.

What you think you look like:

What others see:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A bit overcast this morning, but my polished up boots wanted to say 'Hi'.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Overcoats.

What you think you look like:

What others see:

You forgot the dirty old man sitting on the park bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads