1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logiclusion

logiclusion Well-Known Member

I was asking about shirts, but I figured that if it needs to be asked then there is probably something about it that doesn't ring right.
    To that end I'm already at the local DJs.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, the best bet is to go with a white or a light blue shirt, either plain, or with a reasonably subtle stripe or check.

1 person likes this.
  3. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

There should be a law against shirts that aren't white or pale blue.

I know the SF pros can pull off purples, pinks and subtle greens, but for most guys it's a one way ticket to 90s pimp.

5. sliq

sliq Senior member

disagree. I have a green Bengal stripe shirt that I tend to pair up with brown ties and navy suits, gets compliments without fail. Also have red/berry and white striped shirts... white and blue are too predictable. I work in government and so 99% of male staff where blue or white shirts. it reeks of mediocrity to me.

6. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

I had a look at Brooks Brothers today. Pretty impressed with prices when you compare it to, for example, polo. Sports jackets from 250 that are far better quality/styling than any at DJ's in a similar price range.

Some nice shirts and chinos etc. too.

Got a sports coat from Xile as well, Sartoria Bagnoli. Never heard of the label but it is nicely cut, lapels a bit narrow for my liking, but suits the casual nature of the jacket imo. Styling is reminiscent of Boglioli (ha!). Pretty decent.

[​IMG]

Xile also have a bunch of DBs in cotton, grey, tan and navy -- I remember someone looking for one recently? Not sure what labels, assuming they were the house label Vizzari or other Bagnoli's. Was in a rush so I didn't look closely. They are all 30% off though, so in the $500 dollar range.

2 people like this.
  7. logiclusion

logiclusion Well-Known Member

Similar boat here, I'm on a low rung of government service and the uniform assignment consists precisely of navy and light blue, which then constitutes 5 or 6 days of every week.

Guess it's too early for this ant to venture far from the colour-coordination anthill without investing in another suit.

As it is, I've picked up a light blue shirt.
    Thanks for talking me down from the edge of good taste.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

How about mid-blue chambray? Casual enough, but also smart enough.

9. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I stick to pale/light blue, plain white, and to 2 striped blue shirts. Some days, a pale pink.

I can't pull off the other combinations of shirts. There are a couple of factors - either my PS has a little flair, or the lapel of the suit, or the shoes, or the tie. I try and keep the overall 'volume of noise' in my clothes low. One high note, but overall quiet.

I think white and pale blue shirts provide a solid foundation to incrementally experiment with other patterns.

The shirt has to fit perfectly, there is no two ways about it.

10. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

This was my initial view as well. But without wanting to sound too Foo or Karate Kid about the thing, you get to a point where you realise that the orthodoxy - when it's done well and fits well - became the prevailing view because ultimately it looks better. There are lots of nuances in terms of getting the right shade of blue shirt and getting the stripes on a blue/white shirt right and knowing what tie to wear with a white shirt and when - but it works. Having said this, the City blokes in London (and Melbourne and Sydney) can make an interesting splash with colourful striped shirts and complementary ties. And I must admit it is a look I like and it can be interesting, but more as performance art than classic menswear. Perhaps I am just too old and staid to do it myself.

1 person likes this.
  11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I'll be wearing a purple check shirt with green pants tomorrow, f_ck yous all.

2 people like this.
  12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Purple and green should always be seen.

Especially if the outfit includes plus-fours.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Actually this could be a project. Three-piece in green tweed with a purple overcheck. Double-breasted waistcoat. Plus-fours. Action pleats at the back of the jacket. Maybe even a matching cape.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Aaargh! Some guy just sold a bottle of vintage M7 on eBay for about $40!

I'll ask around.

15. 3piecesuitguy

3piecesuitguy Active Member

Thanks Gerry!!! It's good to be here!!

16. California Dreamer

I work opposite Sam's. We should catch up while you're there.

17. 3piecesuitguy

3piecesuitguy Active Member

Hi Md2010. It goes between your legs and buttons to the placket of the shirt to keep
    Your shirt tucked in. Always wondered if that was comfortable or not???

18. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I don't have any shirts with that feature. I think when people makes mtm shirts they sometimes get a little too excited. While it may help the shirt stay in place - then how much pull is too much. What about when you will use the male urinals at work or at public place ? Or how about siting on a commode what are the chances the tail will drip inside !! Personally I find it awkward . A good fitting shirt matched with fitted pants - with a help of a belt should do the trick. If you want more then use brace.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  19. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Not o be pedantic, but all outfits are performative.

20. California Dreamer

Exactly. How many people really have a problem with their shirts coming untucked? Seems a solution in search of a problem to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.