1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

If one was building up a Saphir collection from scratch (ie Renomat, Renovateur, maybe 4-5 creams and 4-5 waxes) where would the best place to make such a bulk order be? Anyone investigated this before?

2. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Your shirt fits brilliantly - where did you get it?

Really looking forward to seeing the end result - looks great thus far.

I'm surprised he selected the buttons before the cloth!

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

To me, you'll always be the prince of parsley.

Anyways, I think I'm going to give suit shop a shot soon! First MTM.

1 person likes this.
  6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Renomat. I've never used it and companies like C&J recommend that you not use it on their leather as it can (I think) strip the colour off the shoes.

I've ordered from Valmour before, as they have a fantastic range of Saphir waxes, creams and other Saphir products, and the more you buy, the less each item costs. The only problem is that shipping is rather expensive, so I got together with a few friends and placed a group order.

I know that there are various other stockists around the place - A Fine Pair of Shoes, Kirby Allison's Hanger Project, Exquisite Trimmings and probably others.

In Australia, the only place that I know of that stocks Saphir products is Double Monk in Melbourne. Their prices are more expensive that somewhere like Valmour, but of course they are more convenient.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

On SS and brown suits, I think this is a nice example of brown CBD (whatever that means here) suiting.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Senior member

Id be keen on a bulk order of Saphir, I have been looking into it here http://www.shoecare-shop.eu

They ship to AU but you have to email them to get a quote

9. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Re: Sapphir products . Why would you bother organizing a group but when double monks prices are so reasonable. I don't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure my last purchase was about $40 for a wax and a cream. Online stores all seem to be selling for $16+ without shipping so there can't be that much savings to be made.

1 person likes this.
  10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I did a quick check for an order of 5 waxes, 5 creams, 1 renomat and 1 renovateur and of the sites JM listed AFPOS or Exquisite Trimmings both work out at around $250-260 inc shipping. ET would be cheapest if they had some of their coupons going, but I can't find any at the moment.

Will give Double Monk a call and get a quote, I'd prefer to support a local business if I can of course.

1 person likes this.
  11. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Indeed it was, and still is.

The only trousers/shoes/socks combo pic I have is below.

Sorry in advance for being a prat.

[​IMG]

But the brown suit goes well with navy socks, black captoes - the brown has a blue PoW check through it, so it isn't as in your face as a chocolate brown would be. I see chocolate brown suits as very "italian" for want of a better term.

1 person likes this.
  12. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

Just go DoubleMonk. I ordered some stuff from them recently with my shoes.

Renovateur - $25
    Wax Polish - $12
    Cream Polish - $22

DoubleMonk Horsehair Brush (Large) - $30
    Pig's Bristle Applicator Brush - $25
    Edward Green polishing Mitt - $135

That Saphir Shoe care box runs for $395 and is stocked with a great selection.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. boff

boff Senior member

I've used these guys for the last few years. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-shoecare Never an issue and always the cheapest (although if I was in Melbourne I would def. buy local, especially for the odd single tin or jar).
    I often buy second hand shoes and given the preponderance of silicon in many of the more commercial shoe products, the first thing I do is give the shoe a gentle once over with Reno'mat. I say gentle, because Reno'mat is quite harsh stuff, but I've never seen any harm from a single clean. Then let the shoes dry off and give them a condition with Renovateur. Go very easy with this stuff as well, as too much will bollox up any chances of getting a good shine. It is, in my opinion, essential and will go a long way to, if not preventing, then certainly damping down creases.
    Wax or cream? I've never bothered with the creams (apart from the cordovan creams) and have stuck with the waxes (or pates). Broadly speaking the waxes will give you a higher shine but contain less pigment and vice versa.
    So, in summary, for the bulk of my shoes the regime is;
    one time only clean with Reno'mat
    condition with Renovateur
    polish with wax (using 2 or 3 light applications, buffing in-between)
    and condition thereafter perhaps once or twice a year as you see fit

14. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

Use less less less! First few times I used it I bathed the shoes in it and then got a terrible shine with a few dull spots where I was trying so hard to buff the shoe. The more I tried the worse it got.

15. boff

boff Senior member

I should have mentioned that you also need to let this stuff dry out / soak in. For at least a couple of hours, pref. over night. Even if you were sparing to begin with.

16. mountainjoo

mountainjoo Active Member

Agreed - great fitting shirt, would also like to know details.

1 person likes this.
  17. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Can anyone tell me about wool for knitting, what's the best out there and how do I get it? I love cable and aran knit sweaters, but most seem to fit me pretty terribly. Mum's going to knit one, and I'm in the process of trying to find what's the best wool. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

18. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

[​IMG]

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Foxie,

My mother used to do a fair bit of knitting and, more recently, she's turned her hand to knitting copious numbers of scarves for my children.

She's always seemed to buy either Lincraft or Paton's wool, for what it's worth.

If you've got a local Lincraft store, you could always stop in and ask what gauge and weight of wool might be best for a chunky, cable-knit jumper, as they should be able to give you some advice.

20. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Yes, I have one. Beautifully made, but a bit on the lairy side, of chambray in a kind of tangerine hue. I got it on discount from American Tailors.

Wear it in good health. I also have a brown Canali suit but it's not chocolate. Difficult to describe the colour really. Will try to post a fit soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.