• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received the new silver grenadine from Henry Carter today, and I am very happy with the quality and attention to detail in making. It has a nice drape without being too thick (which for me kills the flow of the tie). It also has a much more formal look than the large weave and there is no chance of mistaking it for a knit, and it also feels more snag proof than the larger weave. It is thinner around the neck than the blade, so it should tie a thicker knot well if required. I saw some Borrelli and Stefano Ricci ties the other day, and these loose little to them, with obviously a much lower expenditure. Make me a burgundy and gold/yellow stripe next Jason!
Thanks and glad you are happy with it. Will have a look for you for the burgundy stripe when choosing next seasons stuff. Talking about Borelli & SF, my tie makers in Naples while being not huge company, also make for the likes of Brioni and Ralph Lauren, which gives you an idea of the sort of quality they stand up against. Jason

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
Will have a look for you for the burgundy stripe when choosing next seasons stuff. Talking about Borelli & SF, my tie makers in Naples while being not huge company, also make for the likes of Brioni and Ralph Lauren, which gives you an idea of the sort of quality they stand up against.

Sorry, I mean't gold/yellow stripes on burgundy, similar to my pic, but more densely stripped. Cheers for having a look.

Have you ever thought about doing a 'couture' line of ties or do the 7 folds already represent this?

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rhodes and Beckett or even MJ Bale on special is a better bet, I reckon.

I have only bought one item from R&B, but it's a beauty. A three-piece suit in charcoal grey with a self-coloured windowpane pattern. They may still have them on special now. Sold as a two-piece with the waistcoat as optional extra, but I would regard it as an essential part of the design.

This suit gets so many insults. People tell it "Why are you, a thing of such beauty and refinement, draped over that appalling tosser?"

Most of their stuff is not my style. Shirts seem like good quality but they all have huge stripes or chequerboards on them. Oh, for a plain shirt.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Late to this conversation, but buy an aeropress and a $1000 grinder. Better coffee than any other alternative.

Grant

I'm sure the coffee would be superb, but it's not going to be espresso. Some people just like espresso (and milk coffees based on espresso). Plus you get to fiddle with the machine, which is tactile and sexual in a way that pushing on a plunger will never be.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Santoni have an online sale right now. Lots of loafers and other weird'n'wunnerful stuff. A few classics too.

I would pull the trigger on these -

- except that I just took delivery of some G&G double monks. Love the antiquing on these Santonis though. They refer to this colour as "mud". Gotta love that.

[sigh] I wish I had an endless credit card. Really need to go find a rich old Hong Kong heiress to perform feng shui on.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brogued double monks. I don't know cox, I couldn't see Katter wearing it at all.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Should Katter be my style guru?

Enquiring minds wish to know.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should Katter be my style guru?

Enquiring minds wish to know.

You're right, he might not be conservative enough either, and thus my search for a conservative style icon goes on :(

Serious though, beautiful shoe, but a bit too bling for me.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Attention Brisbane Members

Tie Rack, Myer Centre is having a closing down sale.

50-80% everything in the store.

I went there today and saw $2.00 pocket squares. $8.00 ties.

Some pretty decent silk print and knit ties. Most are fairly narrow. Theres a mix of Chinese and Italian made items.

I reckon Tie Rack started to lose it about 4 years ago. I remember when I went in there and some dickhead at HQ decided to arrange the ties on the basis of price rather than colour.

I remember writing an email to them in the hope they would see sense but obviously I was ignored (!).

The inevitable failure to take my advice had brought the company down.

There is a lesson there somewhere....

[sigh] I wish I had an endless credit card. Really need to go find a rich old Hong Kong heiress to perform feng shui on.

Is it that easy? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I mean't gold/yellow stripes on burgundy, similar to my pic, but more densely stripped.  Cheers for having a look.

Have you ever thought about doing a 'couture' line of ties or do the 7 folds already represent this?

No worries I get what you mean, all good.

The 7 fold do represent the top line for me and tend to sell the best when compared to 3 fold, but then I carry a lot more 7 folds so that skews it a bit. I can do 9 folds and have thought about doing a few limited editions, but they'd be pretty pricey at around $140. $100 is a good sweet spot for the Australian market so its not a big priority if I'm being honest.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's with Topying shoes?

If I want wet-weather shoes I'll buy storm-welted Dainite.

Topy just seems all wrong to me. Like condoms.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I reckon Tie Rack started to lose it about 4 years ago. I remember when I went in there and some dickhead at HQ decided to arrange the ties on the basis of price rather than colour.
I remember writing an email to them in the hope they would see sense but obviously I was ignored (!).
The inevitable failure to take my advice had brought the company down.
There is a lesson there somewhere....

I passed the shop in n Australia hotel/arcade today, going out of business, no wonder, the bloke their seems to dress like a refugee from the 70s Grateful Dead concerts, in beanie, tie dyed tops and happy pants. Anyway Meister their ties were arranged by colour, mostly shiney pale pastels. But i did get 3 ok silk pocket hankies and a black cotton knit tie for $10 all up.

Stebbin

Reaction score
I find topying increases the life of leather soled shoes and reduces slip. They also help when you're wearing leather soled shoes to after work drinks at pubs where god knows what has been spilled/splashed on floors. I don't like the idea of that stuff soaking into my leather soles.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're right, he might not be conservative enough either, and thus my search for a conservative style icon goes on :( Serious though, beautiful shoe, but a bit too bling for me. 

Katter actually does scrub up pretty good for an Australian pollie.

I have you pegged as the sort of bloke who'd think Sophie Miribella was a hot, ethical intellectual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads