1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

After reading about Wendy Deng and Rupert I hope your prenup is watertight. :D

2. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

On the train home in Syd black suits 4 sizes too large everywhere only balanced by a number of gents with lapels as thick as a tooth pick. Then I see this young chap in a three piece suit and suede oxfords. Looks great except for the fact he's succumb to the heat and unbuttoned everything.

On an unrelated note JimmyHoffa your much younger then I expected.

1 person likes this.
  3. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Fuck oath, I'll say!

The other half has booked us in for a 'stationary consultation'. What the actual fuck. Bespoke invitations!

Also, went to High Street Armadale to see some wedding registry company - they explained the business model to me, and I just rofl'ed the whole time. Near impossible to keep a straight face when the mark ups are so unashamedly blatant. Putting Wedding in front of your product name, and double the price. Maybe I should be a Wedding Consultant - my charge outs would be double double my base salary!

Yeah the $2-$3k was on the lower end for photography. Although mates rates and all that.

Can I add "Scots" to Asians and Italians giving cash at weddings? Scots are basically asian as far as I'm concerned, in terms of mannerisms and odd customs. They keep money around the house, hidden (then they forget where they hid it), don't trust banks, brush things under the carpet, are obsessed with saving face (even if it means losing out in the long run), and give cash as gifts, call family friends as 'aunty' and 'uncle' even though they aren't related, and love LV.

1 person likes this.
  4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Recent decisions in Australia suggest that many/most pre nups here are often/usually unenforceable.

5. sliq

sliq Senior member

it at least explains the trolling and sarcastic remarks.

1 person likes this.
  6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Sorry - Hoffa accidentally posted a photo of me.

4 people like this.
  7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Outfit looks good mate but the fit of that jacket looks spot on, waist on it looks supressed but streamlined

1 person likes this.
  8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Youthful beyond your years!

1 person likes this.
  9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

When the French occupied Vietnam they taught the locals that two tetes are better than one.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Always thought Michael was 30+ but you look like you are 12

1 person likes this.
  11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Totally deserved, Nabil.

The little jimmy rustle as a result was good fun as well!

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Harsh, but valid. Nabil & Co. have made me reflect.

Try to look at the quality content someone provides, not the circumstances in which it is being provided.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  13. sliq

sliq Senior member

re looking young, moisturising twice a day alone won't rescue you from ageing. balanced diet, lots of green tea, exercise, and most importantly, a low stress job, will keep you looking younger. don't ask me how i know ):

1 person likes this.
  14. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

Fit does look excellent though, must get on the pJ train.

1 person likes this.
  15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

That makes it a tête-à-tête.

16. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I am leaning slightly on the side and splaying my legs a little which has thrown the trousers off slightly. And my shirt has clearly caught on the cuff of the sleeve jacket. I am very happy with the result and it has exceeded my expectations. It is the mid-grey that Gerry suggested be part of the 'two staple suits to begin with'.

I was lucky - Patrick was the one that fitted me. Rem, Rob, Nick and Porter are brilliant, but Patrick 'designed' the block and was able to work adjustments accordingly. If I had the cash, I would have done a navy as well.

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

That's what I don't get - I don't even like 100 people.

For me, it would be my intermediate family, 2-3 good friends who I know would behave whilst being bored shitless.

I think for women, there is a level of one-upmanship and need to stick the boot into work colleagues, childhood friends, and the girl from the coffee shop who gives you the evil eye.
    This x9000
    Where'd you get so tasteful?

Btw - channel 7 showed Bill Shorten and Abbott's faux pas - same boots, suit, shirt and tie. Scary stuff.

1 person likes this.
  18. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Jimmy you smiling assassin! Great fit pic... With Gentleman's clothes no need for bad manners now!

----- need to work on using spoilers

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm sure that one-up-manship can be part of it sometimes, but familial pressure also plays a large part, as does cultural expectations.

As an example of the latter, a Cypriot friend of mine had something like 150 people to his wedding, and that was apparently small by their standards. It was made a lot easier in their case, though, as pretty much everyone pitched in to help and the whole wedding was a community effort - families brought furniture and piles of food, and the men roasted various animals over spits whilst people drunk lots of wine and ouzo and danced the night away.

I think that familial pressure particularly comes to the fore if parents (or future parents-in-law) are kicking in some cash for the wedding, as they sometimes then think that they have the right to dictate who comes along and thus start demanding that their brother's wife's second cousin-twice-removed gets an invite, and the guest list blows out commensurately.

20. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I think I'm turning Japanese, I thinking I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

Actually PR cash at weddings is still a bit of an issue as far as I can tell and I wouldn't say we love LV...but then there are 5 million (plus descendants, diaspora etc) so I am sure some of the Scots you know would fit these categories.

And what are these strange customs you refer too...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.