Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Why do you people phrase your own subjective opinions as if they are universal truths?

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

So if you are old (tick) and wear suits (tick) it's ok.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Good start by the boys. Drink up GF.

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Because it is? I can quote manton, flusser or Roetzel at lengths on this, it's even mentioned in the SF 101 guide to job interviews.

I don't care if 'Aussies don't care about dress' or you think there are 'no rules'. From the last few anecdotes that's plain fucking wrong.

I want to fit in. If you feel comfortable in a courtroom with a 3 piece pinstripe suit, French cuffs, pocket watch and walking cane then more power to you.

5. jmills

jmills Senior member

I know (or at least I've read) that they are considered very affectatious in the US, but not so much in the UK (and by extension Australia). There is certainly something to be said for the simplicity of the button, and that's what I generally wear., and what I think looks best on me. I also agree about them being less versatile - I really don't like seeing french cuffs worn casually with jeans...

In my experience, however, french cuffs are worn almost universally by legal professionals here in Perth, including people in junior positions. I suspect that's just because the higher end (or perhaps higher priced) shirts that are sold at stores like David Jones have french cuffs. I don't think you would look out of place with some tasteful cufflinks, even as a young guy, but no, certainly won't need a french cuff shirt.

6. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

I disagree with FC's being only suitable for a suit. They however complement a suit very, very well. And are often worn with formal clothing.

I've always worn shirts with FC's most of the working week, with and without a jacket. No one ever complains about them but have gotten compliments instead.

As long as you're happy and comfortable with what you're doing, why does it matter? If you can rock it and it's suitable for what you do and where you are, and you want to wear it.. do it no matter your age. Cuffs do add an additional layer of interest to the wardrobe, which can be quite fun.

7. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

I only have 2 cuffed shirts in in a roster of 12-ish shirts, and they only come out for dinner parties, etc. The buttoned cuff is still the most functional, and for me, function is beginning to beget form more so than the reverse.

8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Do you actually think before writing?

9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Do you struggle with coherent arguments?

Google this topic, it has been done to death.

10. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Cufflinks are a pain in the ass to put on in the morning.

11. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

This. I look at my FC and BC shirts in the morning and 19 times out of 20 I reach for a BC because I can't be bothered stuffing around with the cuff links.

12. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

I only dress to impress one person: myself. (Unless of course I'm out on a date. But I'm, er, engaged to be married, so that's not likely.)

My aim is to be dressed in the best possible taste. Now, taste is a difficult concept. Despite what anyone may say, taste is relative, it is a communally determined concept, it is situational, and it changes over time. Good taste cannot be defined according to any immutable set of laws. Nevertheless, it's out there. This is where the fun comes in: working out what is in good taste, and what isn't. Are French cuffs in good taste, or are they gaudy and confrontational? What about safari suits? Ascots? Collar ruffs? Elaborate horsehair wigs? All of those things have been in impeccable taste at some point.

If you're the frontman for a world-famous rock band, it's in perfectly good taste to wear tight lizard-skin pants and a sock around your penis. But not if you're a barrister. Or a barista.

If someone notices that I'm tastefully dressed, and tells me so, of course I feel validated. But I don't need it. All I need to do is catch myself in a mirror accidentally and think, "shit that dude is nicely dressed". That's it. That's the whole deal.

13. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Hope that pizza is good, the wallabies are copping a pasting!

Keep an eye out for 007, he is at the game.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

10-19 half time the Wannabee' Wallabies s are still in it thank you very much James O'Connor. Has the tide turned? And fuck that French referee and his scrum interpretations.

On the subject of French Cuffs as someone who is welded to a key board for long periods I find them just a bit much. OK game on.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.