Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

The suits that Baldessarini made for Hugo Boss were a significant improvement on most of what they serve up. They were made in Italy and, as you say, top quality. Depending on age, this one might have been made by Caruso. They are the only Boss I'd bother picking up in an op shop, but I've never seen one.

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I prefer AE over Loakes too. They are available as cheaply, or cheaper, and have a much wider array of lasts, sizes and widths. I have a very narrow foot, and their 5 last is perfect for me.

If ever any of you go to the US (someone was asking about this before), one thing I would definitely do is get fitted in AE and/or Alden.

Or, as boff said, go for the trial and error approach on eBay with some cheapos. The general advice on the 5 last (on which most of their most popular shoes are made) is to size down 1 in length, and size up 1 in width from your Brannock measurement.

E.g. I am an 11B on the Brannock, and a 10.5C in AE 5 last fits me perfectly.

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Don't order from AE directly. Order from Amazon when on sale, or a department store when on sale e.g. Nordstrom.

Their shipping rates are much more reasonable, and discounts are much higher.

Hansens clothing also often has big sales, and shipping is $50 no matter how many pairs you order, I believe.

In the days of endless.com I bought multiple new AEs for $225 shipped, *sigh*. I'd say I usually pay about $270 these days.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Speaking of Loakes, I have a pair of Burgundy 771s that I need to offload. I bought them a good 3 years ago, wore them a couple of times til il I realised that AE fitted me a hell of a lot better, and then put them on top of the cupboard never to be used again. I would sell them to an interested party for a very good price, I just need some advance notice to clean them up a bit first! (dusty).

Size 9F - if this is you and you're interested, let me know.

http://www.loake.co.uk/771.html

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/110.php

[​IMG]

5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Ah well while we are on topic if anyone is interested in some brand new Allen Edmonds 8.5D Walnut strands or Walnut Daltons, pm me. Got them a while ago but haven't gotten around to selling them yet, hrmm possibly a job for the impending weekend.

6. acinod

acinod Senior member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Wear Black black and more black if its cultural creative, brown if its Aggies. Education sports coats and tie and if its science then no tie.

8. MiguelSF

MiguelSF Member

Damn, if only they were BLACK!!!!

I'm a 9, I would've ripped them off your hands....

Anyway, GLWS.

9. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what do they say? I'm a long way out of uni and I'm pretty sure when I was I dressed like a poorer version of Dawson Leery (and couldn't have afforded to dressed better even if I had known how), and that was pretty par for the course. I doubt I ever saw a single person in a sport coat or jacket unless they were studying after work.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

Well, there is upkeep, tax and rent for the stores, and they need to make some profit. But the choice is with us so I will just buy online since I know my size.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

They are the same. There's always going to be lighting variations, colour temperature differences, angles etc. which will make one product look different from one retailer's product shots to the next. I have the beeswax and they're decent; sand suede would go well with both navy blue (jeans) and khaki (chinos) I reckon...

12. acinod

acinod Senior member

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting the Ambergold because it's almost sold out so thought it was most popular but guess I'll go with the Sand Suede (don't even think clarks usa/uk have ambergold...)

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Chocolate suede is the only way to go.

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Cheers for the info. I was very disappointed when it wasn't my size as it was pretty cheap. I'd say some of the Boss Selection stuff is pretty good (although absolutely never justifies the price). At Hugo Boss outlets, when Boss selection is discounted by 50% it is still about 30-40% overpriced.

15. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

But it doesn't compute when you consider the prices that C&J are sold for in Australia. I know American Tailors deal directly with C&J (they even get custom shoes made to order just for their store) so I presume other stockists (Herringbone, Double Monk) do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.