1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennier

lennier Senior member

Can't help you on the last questions, but as far as Loake goes you'll probably hear a lot of opinions. General SF wisdom tends to hone in on their 1880 range and dismiss everything else. Certainly their 1880 are their best-made shoes in terms of leather quality etc. However there are many other models in their other ranges (especially the design range) that are goodyear welted and calf leather and in my opinion represent the sweet spot for value in their range. It's very much diminishing returns as you move up the scale from there, unless you're 'investing' in shoes that you expect to rebuild and keep for decades, where the higher quality will (probably) come in to play. Or you really appreciate the aesthetics of the quality differences (which are often very subtle).

On 'polished' (corrected grain) leather versus calf, it's partly a personal preference. Calf is inherently 'higher quality' in that it has to come from premium hides that are unblemished, whereas corrected grain can be split off from less perfect hides. And the process and the finish result in different looks and feels, and each has some advantages and disadvantages (that have been discussed here previously). Thickness, softness etc of the leather can be the same regardless, but in practice higher quality shoes are more often calf than corrected.

All IMHO of course.

2. boff

boff Senior member

The more people around me dress down, the more I want to dress up. I'm contracting for NSW Health (IT, not clinical stuff) at the moment and business casual with a twist best describes how most people here dress. The guy next to me seems to favour crumpled polyester suits and white trainers.

What I want to say, is dress for yourself first and foremost, and not for others. Personal style is not the same as conformity. I definitely raise a few eyebrows when rocking a three piece here, but when worn with confidence it just works. I must admit to wearing silk knit and wool ties far more than when I was working in the CBD. And more sports coat/odd trouser combo's. But always a tie and PS. And decent shoes.

In my experience people very quickly get used to what you wear, irrespective of what they are wearing.
    This last comment is being given tongue in cheek, so please don't take offence.
    Fuck what they think, grow a pair and dress like a man. The chicks will dig you for it and you will look back without regret.

3. boff

boff Senior member

Different lasts, but (ordered through Pediwear) I have the Loake 1880 Savoy (Mayfair last) which I found a little wide for me (I also have regular to narrow feet) and the Loake Shoemaker Tweed (026 last) which fits perfectly.

I have since discovered the joys of second hand Allen Edmonds on ebay. In my opinion a much better made shoe than the Loake 1880 and I have picked up several in very good condition for $80 to $150 delivered. They come in a variety of width fittings which was a boon for me. I bought a couple of really shitty pairs before I found my size (10.5C). Doesn't seem to have a crazy variation in last shapes (well not yet anyways).

4. MiguelSF

MiguelSF Member

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Further reiterating my taste in dress shoes, I'm an avid DJ's shopper, so Paul Smith was considered to be the bees knees until I discovered SF and Google research. I've owned quite a few and have been happy with them, but now looking at "bench-grade" brands like Loake, AE etc.

I could never tempt myself on Church's, C&J's, G&G just yet, although they are certainly something I'll keep my eye on. I'm still relatively newb when it comes to shoe knowledge.

I am indeed looking at the Loake 1880 range. Boff, how much did you pay for shipping and approx. delivery time? I have looked at the AE range, however they seem to have very similar last styles, and IMHO a bit "boring" looking to my tastes. And I really couldn't find AE Oxford-style shoes from $80-$150, you must have really good fortunes finding them.

5. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

ill PM you the seller, but i picked up my factory seconds PA's for 120 shipped.

6. boff

boff Senior member

And in other news - The Knottery has a 50% discount code out (3YEAR). It's their third birthday.

Whilst they offer next to no competition, quality wise, to some of the esteemed local members of this forum I have ordered a few ties from them in the past and have found them solid and well made (put together in Brooklyn) and at 50% off insanely cheap.

7. boff

boff Senior member

It was 2010, looking at the order I have in my email I think 127 pounds. Must have been on sale. Delivery was a week to 10 days from memory.

What size are you?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Allen-Ed...1538595?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item4610524823

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLEN-ED...8480403?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item35c92dac93

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLEN-ED...2347799?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item19dd9eb397

(the hillcrests aren't oxfords, but I have a pair in oxblood and they are solid beaters)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Any Canberrians know of a good dry cleaner on the Northside? I know of one at Fyshwick but hope to find one closer to home. Took a pair of trousers to Bells at Dickson which was a joke. No idea how to press garments.

9. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Nice one

Suitshop does MTM separates and we have cotton etc

O&J im keeping trans-seasonal. Im just doing ranges based on inspiration at the time. Currently getting our camo-hunter shackets photographed and then going to release a new range of long sleeve casual button up shirts. Ive re-jigged the pattern and shortened the length in line with our popover range. Im also considering releasing an XS and a SM (between small/medium) for increased fit options.

10. meister

meister Senior member

Loake 1880 is a good place to start. Then there is SF B&S when you know your overseas sizes.

11. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

In my opinion I find the Loake 1880 and Allen edmonds to be on par with each other and I've been a happy camper with both. The issue with Allen edmonds is if you cannot get them on sale the shipping to Aus makes them over priced. eg full price park avenue shipped to aus will run you over $400 (at which point why not pay the extra $100+ and go into Carmina territory etc), whereas the similar Loake churchill for example can be had from the UK for circa $270 sometimes with a free shoe tree.

Anyway for those considering shoes Herringshoes and pediwear have their sales on, nothing too spectacular but you might find a gem for yourself.

I agree though if you aren't too upset by a scuff or minor mark, then the factory seconds would be a great alternative.

12. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

+1 Allen Edmonds. At least as a daily office shoe they're fantastic. If you want something schmancy to wear out and about though, then the euro shoes are probably a better option

13. MiguelSF

MiguelSF Member

127 GBP seems like a top deal including shipping... Today, the 1880 CORNWALL is ~$277AUD + shipping costs.

I'm a UK 8 / EU 42. I seem to have a hard time finding my available size on eBay..

14. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Everyone in Australia does AFAIK. I suspect there is a local Australian distributor that is taking everyone to the cleaners.

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Red, white and blue for the 4th of July:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.