Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Yeah, awesome. Mikhail knows his stuff. He's been helping me out with denim-stuff for a few years now and his work is fantastic.

2. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

+1

Mikhail is a champ

3. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Wearing a full suit and tie would raise too many eyebrows, and given the contract and reputation-based nature of the role, I don't want to ruffle feathers. Especially since the heads of department would be considered well dressed if they wore a sports coat sans tie.

4. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

5. PapaRubbery

Maybe not as much as I think, but they definitely do care.

You wouldn't wear a coat, tails and top hat to work (although if you ever do, please film it) - and in the environment I'm in - I wouldn't wear a full suit and tie to work. Especially since I'm surrounded by academics.

I'm also probably younger and less senior than you, so there's the whole 'not appearing like a young upstart' thing to consider. This isn't a law firm, it's a Uni department.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Epaulet and HY Cardigans are great, IME - a bit more expensive then Uniqlo, though!

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I get what you are saying and think it makes sense. These are a few nice links on the similar topic.

http://putthison.com/post/283365444/businesscasual

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012/08/how-to-dress-casually-reader-question.html#.UdO-4_k3B7c

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2011/08/modern-man-needs-good-blazer.html#.UdO-6_k3B7c

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Country Road has some decent sweaters/cardis at the moment. Can't see them having horn buttons though lol.

9. PapaRubbery

Ouchy - yeah they are!

I think I'm going to give Woolovers a crack - http://www.woolovers.com.au/british-wool/womens-mens/zipped-buttoned-cardigan.aspx

for $56 it's not a big risk if it's crap. I'm sure it'll be at least at the level of Uniqlo. I was thinking that, a button down, maybe a more casual tie. Although that's not set in stone by any means, and I could probably loose the tie.

Cheers for the links!

Reading them has confirmed what I was thinking - sports coat, smart trousers and shirt. Wearing CBD 9-5 is relatively easy - you have a 'uniform' so to speak - wearing treading the line between professional and not overly dressed is harder.

I follow TheNordicFit on tumblr - http://www.thenordicfit.com/ - and I'm taking a lot of inspiration from him as we have a similar build (okay maybe I'm fatter!) and complexion. I think he does non-suit-and-tie professional very well.

I've got a great unstructured winter navy patch pocket SC from SS that is my go-to, but I'll have to get other items made up. I'm waiting for SS to release their F/W to see if they have anything that works. Otherwise, Romp, I might be coming to you for more casual gear instead of a suit!

10. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Cheers! I do like the Converse Jack Purcells. Vans are actually where my problems originally began however. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

11. sliq

sliq Senior member

I got 2 cardigans from tcny.smoked MOP buttons though, merino, were about $320 delivered.

12. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Remember to size down generously if you want a smarter tailored look. I sized down 1 size, and it still felt slouchy. Perfect to wear at home and lounge about, though.

13. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

My standard BrisVegas uniform is espadrilles in summer, and crepe soled chukka boots in winter. I have a stupidly high instep and find both to be comfortable...

14. El QUaG

El QUaG Senior member

PapaRubbery, have you considered Aspesi Cotton Cashmere blend in Navy. It's a spring/summer release, but I reckon would be more than suitable for Australian climates.

50% off is a great deal. Double check your dimensions, because the proportions leave plenty room around the sides.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

15. MiguelSF

MiguelSF Member

Hi Guys, new Sydney-based member here.

Bumped into SF after looking around for alternative shoe brands (corporate professional wear).

I currently rotate between pairs of Paul Smith Oxford-style and a "Made in Italy" Aquila-branded shoe. In my eyes, I love both shoes and they seem to be of premium quality and are of course very comfortable. I've never known too many brands outside of DJ's & Aquila.

Just aiming to dip my toes in the water for something a little bit more upmarket, so I looked at some brands and Loake immediately popped out as price was good and construction seems to be English made = long lasting.

What do you guys thing of these? Loake "Vincent"on eBay. http://tinyurl.com/nynf9fq

Style is right up my alley, just seeking some opinions before I drop some cash on them.

Thanks for reading.
    Miguel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.