• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, awesome. Mikhail knows his stuff. He's been helping me out with denim-stuff for a few years now and his work is fantastic.

g-banger

Reaction score

Yeah, awesome. Mikhail knows his stuff. He's been helping me out with denim-stuff for a few years now and his work is fantastic.

+1

Mikhail is a champ

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Why not???

Wearing a full suit and tie would raise too many eyebrows, and given the contract and reputation-based nature of the role, I don't want to ruffle feathers. Especially since the heads of department would be considered well dressed if they wore a sports coat sans tie.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
People dont care as much as you think they do.

Maybe not as much as I think, but they definitely do care.

You wouldn't wear a coat, tails and top hat to work (although if you ever do, please film it) - and in the environment I'm in - I wouldn't wear a full suit and tie to work. Especially since I'm surrounded by academics.

I'm also probably younger and less senior than you, so there's the whole 'not appearing like a young upstart' thing to consider. This isn't a law firm, it's a Uni department.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet and HY Cardigans are great, IME - a bit more expensive then Uniqlo, though!

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe not as much as I think, but they definitely do care. 

You wouldn't wear a coat, tails and top hat to work (although if you ever do, please film it) - and in the environment I'm in - I wouldn't wear a full suit and tie to work. Especially since I'm surrounded by academics. 

I'm also probably younger and less senior than you, so there's the whole 'not appearing like a young upstart' thing to consider. This isn't a law firm, it's a Uni department. 

I get what you are saying and think it makes sense. These are a few nice links on the similar topic.

http://putthison.com/post/283365444/businesscasual

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012/08/how-to-dress-casually-reader-question.html#.UdO-4_k3B7c

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2011/08/modern-man-needs-good-blazer.html#.UdO-6_k3B7c

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Country Road has some decent sweaters/cardis at the moment. Can't see them having horn buttons though lol.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Epaulet and HY Cardigans are great, IME - a bit more expensive then Uniqlo, though!

Ouchy - yeah they are!

I think I'm going to give Woolovers a crack - http://www.woolovers.com.au/british-wool/womens-mens/zipped-buttoned-cardigan.aspx

for $56 it's not a big risk if it's crap. I'm sure it'll be at least at the level of Uniqlo. I was thinking that, a button down, maybe a more casual tie. Although that's not set in stone by any means, and I could probably loose the tie.

Cheers for the links!

Reading them has confirmed what I was thinking - sports coat, smart trousers and shirt. Wearing conservative business dress 9-5 is relatively easy - you have a 'uniform' so to speak - wearing treading the line between professional and not overly dressed is harder.

I follow TheNordicFit on tumblr - http://www.thenordicfit.com/ - and I'm taking a lot of inspiration from him as we have a similar build (okay maybe I'm fatter!) and complexion. I think he does non-suit-and-tie professional very well.

I've got a great unstructured winter navy patch pocket SC from SS that is my go-to, but I'll have to get other items made up. I'm waiting for SS to release their F/W to see if they have anything that works. Otherwise, Romp, I might be coming to you for more casual gear instead of a suit!

lukejackson

Reaction score
There's quite a few nice pairs of shoes on sale at BB at the moment - just shame the discounts aren't as deep for these as for the clothing.Luke - I'd even look into a basic pair of Vans or Converse Jack Purcells for weekends; these will be a little less sporty than your NBs but less formal than a pair of leather loafers or derbys.

Cheers! I do like the Converse Jack Purcells. Vans are actually where my problems originally began however. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi gang,

So I've started a new gig, and I'm on campus now.

So no more suit+tie get up, and now more business casual/smart casual look. But without the full tweed + bowtie (I'm not a Professor!). 

I've been hunting for some good cardigans to break up the whole smart trousers/chinos + shirt/jumper kinda look. Johnstons of Elgin have a few options, but I don't like elbow patches. I've pretty much stuck exclusively to Uniqlo's Merino v-neck jumpers for my knitwear needs. But I'm looking for something nicer than Uniqlo for my cardigans. Horn buttons would be nice. 

iSurg I think went through Woolovers. That might be an option for me? 

I got 2 cardigans from tcny.smoked MOP buttons though, merino, were about $320 delivered.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouchy - yeah they are!

I think I'm going to give Woolovers a crack - http://www.woolovers.com.au/british-wool/womens-mens/zipped-buttoned-cardigan.aspx

for $56 it's not a big risk if it's crap. I'm sure it'll be at least at the level of Uniqlo. I was thinking that, a button down, maybe a more casual tie. Although that's not set in stone by any means, and I could probably loose the tie.

Remember to size down generously if you want a smarter tailored look. I sized down 1 size, and it still felt slouchy. Perfect to wear at home and lounge about, though.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a suggestion for a casual shoe for walking a fair bit (for someone with crap feet etc)? I've been wearing loafers but they don't seem to cut it any more due to lack of support etc. I was considering boat shoes (sperry's I guess) and additionally putting in an inner sole. I already have nice sneakers which of course are the best option but I was looking towards something a bit less casual etc. that is readily available in Australia (Brisbane) and won't break the bank and can be worn with shorts. Thanks!

My standard BrisVegas uniform is espadrilles in summer, and crepe soled chukka boots in winter. I have a stupidly high instep and find both to be comfortable...

El QUaG

Reaction score
PapaRubbery, have you considered Aspesi Cotton Cashmere blend in Navy. It's a spring/summer release, but I reckon would be more than suitable for Australian climates.

50% off is a great deal. Double check your dimensions, because the proportions leave plenty room around the sides.

Last edited:

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Hi Guys, new Sydney-based member here.

Bumped into SF after looking around for alternative shoe brands (corporate professional wear).

I currently rotate between pairs of Paul Smith Oxford-style and a "Made in Italy" Aquila-branded shoe. In my eyes, I love both shoes and they seem to be of premium quality and are of course very comfortable. I've never known too many brands outside of DJ's & Aquila.

Just aiming to dip my toes in the water for something a little bit more upmarket, so I looked at some brands and Loake immediately popped out as price was good and construction seems to be English made = long lasting.

What do you guys thing of these? Loake "Vincent"on eBay. http://tinyurl.com/nynf9fq

Style is right up my alley, just seeking some opinions before I drop some cash on them.

Thanks for reading.
Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads