Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Really- Last time i went i couldnt afford much in there. The wife will prib be gonig so i can have a look but just didnt think I could afford much in there.

2. meister

meister Senior member

Amazing blog quote:

I agree with this article too...coming from the UK I would buy a new pair of gbp50 shoes from Next almost every year....sweaty feet, plastic soles, occasionally fall apart. Throw them away and start again.

Then I bought some Goodyear welted Jones the Bootmaker shoes on sale reducd from gbp150 to 75....that was about 4 years ago or so...I'm wearing them now. They look almost new, they had a half sole replacement here in Aus and they are super comfy! So I am well up on those...I also have some Loakes wich are good quality but not as comfy, thinner leather sole that I have not yet replaced, 2 years old, look new. Lastly I have some Marks and Spencer Italian range leather soled that I took brand new to get a rubber half sole stuck on for wet weather. All of these shoes are great, comfortable and I have not needed to buy a pair in several years, they also did not cost the earth. Blame Australian prices and buy online at Pediwear (though sizing is massively important to teh whole experience).

I also have some RM Williams Veal Calf Brandy boots. they scuff stupidly easily, RM could not repair them, painted them badly, had them back to strip, basically gave up and said take them elsewhere and we'll pay for the repair! On a $500 pair of boots! Rubbish! They don't even carry the polish colour anymore and they are only 6 months old! Granted they are comfortable but as the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever bought I am totally disappointed it the value for money stakes. Worth $300 Max.

Notes: Safe leather soles with plstic toe taps, have a wet weather pair, use a decent polish regularly and use shoe trees.

But this is the best:

The shoes must be hand made and should be from Europe (Italy, France, UK, Switzerland, Germany).
    The top of the range is no doubt Botenga and Bontoni and beewax based shoe polish must be used.

My partner Phyllida Jenkins said the true connoisseur man must satisfy four conditions -

1. Have top of the range shoes
    2. Proper provider
    3. Execute conjugal duties with style and skills
    4. Good manners

Commenter Mario de Napoli
    mor

Hands up who passes the test 1, thru 4.?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

3. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

4. meister

meister Senior member

I scored a pair of these made for Brooks in (would you believe?) shell cordovan. Totally agree with you.

5. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

Quote:There's quite a few nice pairs of shoes on sale at BB at the moment - just shame the discounts aren't as deep for these as for the clothing. Luke - I'd even look into a basic pair of Vans or Converse Jack Purcells for weekends; these will be a little less sporty than your NBs but less formal than a pair of leather loafers or derbys.

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I am disappointed at the lack of comments on their steeziness.

7. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Hi gang,

So I've started a new gig, and I'm on campus now.

So no more suit+tie get up, and now more business casual/smart casual look. But without the full tweed + bowtie (I'm not a Professor!).

I've been hunting for some good cardigans to break up the whole smart trousers/chinos + shirt/jumper kinda look. Johnstons of Elgin have a few options, but I don't like elbow patches. I've pretty much stuck exclusively to Uniqlo's Merino v-neck jumpers for my knitwear needs. But I'm looking for something nicer than Uniqlo for my cardigans. Horn buttons would be nice.

iSurg I think went through Woolovers. That might be an option for me?

8. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Thanks! Didn't think of that. I was actually watching a pair of Quoddy loafers on Mr.Porter during the sale, but no sizes left for me unfortunately. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

9. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Spend a day at the Woodbury outlets off NY.

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Would it be a fools errand to even think about taking in a pair of 34 pants to size 31? Was cleaning out the wardrobe and happened upon a former favourite suit, the jacket needs a lil supression but apart from that fine, the pants though....

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Number 4 prevents me from commenting on number 3. :)

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Is Century 21 still going? They had some pretty good prices when I was there, but that's a decade ago.

13. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

Quote:I hope I have this problem one day!

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Why not???

15. El QUaG

El QUaG Senior member

Mikhail is still doing his thing on the side. I got some jeans hemmed a few weeks back for a decent fee. Did a fantastic job too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.