• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnso

Reaction score
What colour and type of shirts do you guys tend to go for at night time (pub, dinner with jacket), and what kind of things should I do to my suit and tie combo to make it less business and more dressy? ie white shirt?

lennier

Reaction score
I do not have any recent experience with any alerationists in the conservative business dress. Apart from the advice of people here, it might be worth speaking to Christian Kimber at Herringbone or the people at Henry bucks (if they will disclose).

Good thinking, I called Herringbone and they use uno mode whilst henry bucks use Katrinas. Decisions! I'm leaning towards Katrinas.

I had stuff done at Katrinas relatively recently and it was decent enough, certainly both cheaper and better work than that from the butchers that M J Bale use.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any recent experience with these guys

I went to Carbone to have some jackets and shirts done last year. They took for-freaking-ever because he prioritises tailoring over alterations every time. After waiting weeks I collected my shirts and went down to Sam's in Docklands. I had them back the next day.

Oh, and Carbone charges like a wounded bull.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MJ Bale has changed who they use to Elite in Richmond. This is same as PJ and all work is good.

Uno's Mode is hit and miss.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, ran into a few people, met a few more and got PM'd by some more about a meet up. Apologies for the late update, but you know - life happens.

MELBOURNE
This Thursday (4th of July)
6pm - Supper Club (Level 1/161 Spring St)

I can only hand around for an hour, but I hope to see plenty of you.

Questions, objections, thoughts, feelings, etc just post or PM, or text/call (if you've got my digits).

Again, sorry for the late notice, was trying to juggle a few things!

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What colour and type of shirts do you guys tend to go for at night time (pub, dinner with jacket), and what kind of things should I do to my suit and tie combo to make it less business and more dressy? ie white shirt?
always depends on your personal style

Im a white shirt guy - clean, crisp, layers well and is versatile. Sometimes id wear a semi cutaway, longer point white shirt with tie and suit to work, come home, throw on a pair of jeans, sports coat, remove the tie and put on some brown suede boots and im ready to roll for the evening.

plus its the the brad pitt, ryan gosling, george clooney crew staple and chicks love them
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cubits

Reaction score
Not sure if this is flagrantly incorrect, but has anyone had success with those online MTM suit places? I'm thinking of taking the plunge by seeing if they can handle a simple white shirt first, kind of like Giotto's circle test. :p

The suit itself will be an experiment of sorts to try a particular set of details i have in mind.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For those who sometimes go down the flash sale route, Gilt currently has a free international shipping promo with the use of the code INTLFS at checkout. Current items of note for sale include Brooks Bros / Corneliani suiting, Incotex Ivory trousers, Paul Smith/Bally/Loake footwear, Gucci/YSL shirting, Gant Rugger chinos, and J Brand/Nudie/Naked & Famous denim.

Where are you getting that information? My Gilt email says none of that.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My wife got our bugaboo from gilt.. Was 40% cheaper than local

suttonzach

Reaction score
Quote:
That's a great deal - didn't think they'd deliver bulky items like that to Aus! Expecting in August here so will keep an eye out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads