Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

For those who sometimes go down the flash sale route, Gilt currently has a free international shipping promo with the use of the code INTLFS at checkout.

Current items of note for sale include Brooks Bros / Corneliani suiting, Incotex Ivory trousers, Paul Smith/Bally/Loake footwear, Gucci/YSL shirting, Gant Rugger chinos, and J Brand/Nudie/Naked & Famous denim.

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yes, those are mine, photos taken by the shoemaker prior to shipping to me. The earlier pics I showed were the shoes on my feet.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

They came like that. They look less purple in person. I think they look quite nice in real life. The colour didn't bother me.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Yep I'm normally a 10 US, sized down to a 9.5 and they fit perfectly.

5. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Quick question: is there a stockist of Thurston braces in Melbourne that offers button-only, as opposed to convertible? I find they look cleaner without the eyelet and stud.

Thanks!

6. boff

boff Senior member

I've ordered direct from their website before. Shipping was about a week.

7. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Sweet, thanks Boff. I'm used to Royal Mail being good bit their website suggests shipping is slow...

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Had a read through the CDB thread and it appears that the yanks have a variety of widths EEE D and so on. Here they come in one width which is stated to be narrow, so I went for a UK 10.5 based on their advice of sizing up, normally I am a UK 10.

I did ring twice them and two different staff informed me its a narrow fit I asked if its equal to a F, silence then again, yes its a narrow fit and we advise people to go a half size up.

On a Brannock device my foot is right on the edge of F-G most of my RM's are G and a F is too tight in most English dress shoes. Hmmmmm? Will now have to wait and see when they get here or should I ring and change the order either way they cover both ends of the return postage so its out of their pocket not mine.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

And in more important news Wallabies captain James Horwill has been cleared to play in the decider on Saturday night. Wahoo :slayer:

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

In even more important news, both my favourite youngsters Monica Puig and Laura Robson have failed to progress to the next round of Wimbledon. My interest level has dropped significantly.

11. Stormzors

Stormzors New Member

Cross Post:

Hey Guys,

I've searched the forums but all the threads about alterations in Melbourne seem to be years old and probably out of date!

I need to get a suit jacket altered, sleeves shortened a bit and maybe bring it in a little I'm undecided on that.

Does anyone suggest a good tailor in the CBD? From what I gather there seems to be 4 ones worth choosing from

- Circe
    - Katrinas (which I believe has been sold since Kim worked there)
    - Expert Alterations
    - Adriano Carbone (Can't fit it in for weeks)

Does anyone have any recent experience with these guys?

Cheers

12. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Saturday is going to be a cracker of a night.

Hope the Wallabies don't crack, though.

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I do not have any recent experience with any alerationists in the CBD. Apart from the advice of people here, it might be worth speaking to Christian Kimber at Herringbone or the people at Henry bucks (if they will disclose). If you are in the inner southeast, I can recommend Chronic Fix, Greville Street, Prahran. Have had plenty altered here (most recently trousers cuffed and hemmed and jacket altered). Always very happy with the results, reasonable price (I posted a pricelist before) and good turnaround time. The woman who runs the place has a good eye and is good at communicating with you to get the results you want (which has not always been my experience). She always laughs at me for wanting my trousers "short" (not really, brushing the top my my shoes).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

14. Stormzors

Stormzors New Member

Good thinking, I called Herringbone and they use uno mode whilst henry bucks use Katrinas. Decisions! I'm leaning towards Katrinas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.