Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Shots are fired.

I'm not a gentleman, nor do I play one on the internet.

I do, on the other hand, enjoy looking a cerain way - antifragile.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Dropped off a bunch of stuff to the op shop this weekend. Interested to see if any of it finds its way back here in photographs.

For the person asking about denim, yes, Andy at RHD in Adelaide can help you out. Also a guy named Mikhail in Sydney (though he may not be doing this thing anymore, haven't spoken to him in 8-10 months). Thanks JayPee.

Also, C&J Handgrade Belgrave 9E UK in antique chestnut new in box priced to move - $580 for all SF members. If you're keen or know someone in this size, PM me.

3. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Having owned both and worn both for work, I don't think this is true. Handgrades for sure, no brainer. Benchgrades CJs are also better than RM's, imho.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Stylistically, I have found myself moving away from RM's, which I wore for close to 2 years at clinical school and 2 years at work. They are a great boot, but are not the same as shoes. One simply cannot replace the look of a good loafer or captoe oxford.

RM's are office-appropriate, thankfully. However, they're not the only chelseas on the market (I believe EG's and Carminas to be much sleeker, but have never owned a pair). In summary, I believe RM's to be a versatile value chelsea which can be worn in context here in Australia.

In other news, watched The Rock for the first time in about 10 years. So many good quotes.

Commander Anderson: Have you ever been in a combat situation before?
    Stanley Goodspeed: Define combat, sir.
    Commander Anderson: Shep?
    Lt. Shephard: An incursion underwater to re-take an impregnable fortress held by an elite team of U.S. Marines, in possession of eighty-one hostages and fifteen guided rockets loaded with V.X. poison gas.
    Stanley Goodspeed: Oh. In that case, no sir. Excuse me...

AND

Stanley Goodspeed: You know, I like history too, and maybe when this is all over you and I can stop by the souvenir shop together but right now I just... I just wanna find some rockets!

5. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Agreed completely - though I hope no one is wearing boots as a replacement (rather an alternative).

6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Double post

7. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

Shameless self bump. Still have these gathering dust (in some nice Carmina red shoe bags) if anyone's keen. Willing to let them go for $300 (paid $480).

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/gVhW62W.jpg

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Sator wouldn't be down on that.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

On par in what sense? Leather? Sleekness of lasts? Finishing? I take it we're comparing the Chelsea boots and not the dress shoes - I haven't liked a single dress shoe I've seen from RM Williams.

RM WIlliams classify the Craftsman as dress boots [​IMG]

10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I never quite liked the RMW boots. I can buy RMW gift voucher through my work and get 20% off. And then visit RMW store when they have 10-15% off and that's a healthy discount. But like I said RMW is not my style and they do have some characteristics similar to work boots. Does anyone here hates those pull tabs ?? I see some guys in the office pants stuck in those .... tabs all day long .

11. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Seriously, the leather quality is quite different. I guess you have to wear both for a while to notice that. I just think that it's good experience to try different lasts, different styles, different makers to discover what your style is, and what you like in shoe construction. The RM argument is something that has crossed this forum many times, and I have no doubt that they are relatively well made. But to say that they are comparable to the English, I don't know how to respond to that. I guess I would have to ask you to lay your cards out on the table, based on personal experience.

Reasons why I think my CJs are better than my RM's
    1. Better leather quality as evidenced by finer creasing, and finer pore size
    2. Better stitching
    3. Better patina with similar care regimen
    4. Faster "mold to foot" comfort
    5. Different heel treatment.
    6. RM tends to show the plastic at the heel and toe box

And I agree with Gerry's sentiment - it is a difficult comparison to make when looking at comparable models. I guess I should leave it to those with chelseas from CJ, EG, G&G etc. I think it is still possible to look at construction, even with different styles.

12. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

What's a dress boot? Isn't that what soldiers wear on parade or something?
    I don't have much of a problem with RMW but It seems like Australia has much more acceptance for 'dress boots' in the professional environment. I'm trying to steer away from any traits that would have led Dylan Moran to refer to us as a nation of Well Dressed Farmers

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Well said. This has been my experience as well.

14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

haha don't recall hearing him say that but I can imagine it and love his work.

I don't think this is a game where theres no wrong answers but im gonna throw the Allen Edmonds 5th Avenue boot as an example of a (low end) but acceptable dress boot? Ill also confess to wearing the dalton in walnut with a suit and into work on some occasions, seems like a style no no to work/suit but I like boots and those guys paired with navy/grey seem to get positive comments.

Any other shopping procrastinators in here been stung by the dollar? latest for me was the TOJ, if id purchased at the start of last month when I thought about it would have been near $100 cheaper =\

15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Late reply, watching GoT.

I jumped the gun and expected RMW hate when Matt mentioned the price rise. I apologise, I get shit from my friends and GF for being a Collins Street cowboy so I'm always a bit on edge [​IMG]

iSurg - I'm no cobbler, but surely the single vamp construction is a cut above C&J's chelseas. Also, they are roughly the same price point and both A4 machine welted, I can't see there being a massive difference in the quality of the calf used.

Admittedly, I don't own the C&J chelseas. I don't own JLs and EGs either, but obviously being handcrafted and in a totally different price range they're going to be in a league of their own.

Rant time -

For the most part Australia is devoid of sartorial tradition. RMW chelseas and jodhpurs are an exception to this - I imagine wearing boots with a suit was something that was continued here where it died out on the continent due to Australia's isolation and colonial heritage.

Chelseas create a level of interest in an outfit without coming across forced, effeminate or foppish.

You only have to click around SF to see Americans flogging the log over burgundy cordovan gunboats. I'm no patriot, but I'm always saddened when RMWs gets looked over when a good half of our discussions are about crossing our fingers, legs and anything else available in the hope a last fits or we don't get raped by a foreign dollar.

Sorry lads, couldn't help myself :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.