1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

ah the old "nose pulled apart" precision operation - technical term - know it well chief.

Best of luck Foxy - get well soon.

1 person likes this.
  2. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

Which one of you classy chaps put up the G&G shoes on eBay?

3. Romp

Romp Senior member

Yup - PM'd you

4. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Wow, that bump in his tie must have really got to him.

Just kidding Foxy, get well soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Man that looks painful fox, what crops up that requires that sort of emergency work? Either way get well soon mate.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Regis I will take what are the hips for $200?

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Budget shop today. Kopped two linen short-sleeved shirts at RMW boutique in Chifley Plaza for $60 each. RRP $120.

They are daggy but in a nice way and I'm very pleased.

Off to Canada tomorrow for honeymoon: 5 days' skiing at Whistler. Never been. Taking the Kästle MX83s, they've seen one day at Niseko and proved themselves not to be a good powder ski. Should be sharp for the steeps and big bowls at Whistler though.

Minor tragedy: previous kop - heavily discounted Smith Optics ski goggles, brand new, internet purchase, I'm so clever etc etc. Yeah, except I left them in Melbourne. Damn damn DAMN. Wifey didn't pack gloves. I need new gloves too. What else? Goodness knows. Very wise move to increase credit limit on plastic today at bank. Boo-yah!

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Nice Archer. Did you have the toe taps done locally?

10. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

Too bad they are UK11 :(

11. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

Yah, doublemonk. Think they did a pretty good job was around a week turn around.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I haven't seen the film yet but the director etc of the film have said they were going for a "future" setting for the film but didn't want to do the one piece jump suits etc - they tried a method often used in films and tv of making some elements off key but not obvious to engender a sense of "differentness" or shifted time in viewers. Perhaps the most well known users of this "going to the future through clothes" is Dr Who. (edit: I mean here famous for NOT using a cliched futuristic look on clothes by relying to and extent on a slight jarring effect of different eras to convey a different time. One of the best for observing this effect is 2001 and Blade Runner. Funnily 2001 is now a long time ago and not in the future - like 1984. Its a confusing old Sci-Fi world isn't it)

In the case of this film they took a higher rise from around the 40/50s and a kind of WW11 look to trousers and a bit loose and not well cut, they also have no ties and generally no collars on shirts and a few other tricks to shift the visual clothing context. I'm told that it works but cant judge for myself yet.

From what photos I've seen the trousers aren't much chop but no doubt some of the hipsters will pick up on the look. I'm told the womens clothing with high rise looks much better and is influencing the ranges of stuff coming out in the near future. But then high waisted womens wear trousers /jeans etc have been around for a few years in a minor way so they will probably take off.

One of the all time best ways to get a fresh look on clothes both classic and modern is to watch a few episodes of Get Smart. Max is always interesting and in some episodes he will be in 3 or 4 different outfits - usually suits and ties. He always has high rise, no break tapered trousers. always well fitted if a little tight for soem tastes and his jackets are short - all showing todays trends are nothing much new. The Chief has a classic Ivy look with OCBDs, dartless jackets with swelled edges and seams, 3/2 buttons, natural shoulders, often grey herringbone, grey flannel trousers and knit ties etc. And 99 is just wonderful in her outfits. KAOS is never well dressed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1 on Get Smart.

I always enjoy watching it for Max's and the Chief's clothes and for 99.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

galaxy note 3. I take notes with that.

I prefer rise that sits just below belly button. too high is dorky and too low my shirts get untucked

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Anyone have a source for leather blazer-type buttons in singles? I need some for a cardigan, not a suit. So I need 5 large-ish buttons (brown).

I know about hst (don't seem to have any) and buttons and trim on ebay (only sell suit sets). Also FXH told me once that there is a button shop on Nicholas St in the Melb CBD but I haven't ventured there yet.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I don't know about the one in Melbourne, but I've seen similar buttons in a cloth/haberdashery shop here in Brisbane so hopefully you can get them from the bricks-and-mortar shop that sells buttons and trim.

18. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Buttonmania in the Nicholas Building, 37b Swanston St.

http://www.buttonmania.com.au/about

Or The Button Shop, or ring Jimmy Buttons in Fitzroy.

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

Its in Nicholas Building. Theres a button shop thats ok in Glenferrie Road up the southern end. Theres also one in a funny little shopping strip in suburban North Balwyn that has a fair selection of buttons. If its the plain brown flat buttons then theres plenty around.

Is it the soccer ball woven leather buttons you are after? Try op shops and buy old FJs or tweed sportscoats to snaffle some buttons or ask the op shop ladies if they know where to get some. They might have a jar of them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  20. fxh

fxh Senior member

aaah snap - ernesto

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.