1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I think Foxy is more saying that if you are buying something to sell at a profit from an op shop or charity, all profit you make in a way comes at the expense of the shop because had they known they could get that price they would have sold it as such. I'm not really convinced by this line of thinking, but I can sympathise with it.

I've done a bit of volunteering at Vinnies and particularly when it comes to the men's stuff, the ladies who run the shop just don't have a clue. They know who Paul Smith is, so Paul Smith suits are $100, but I saw a Brioni shirt sell for $5 and some good Zegnas go for cheap as well. When I work there whenever I find something good I send it back for repricing so the shop can get more for it. This is only because the shop is run by a charity.

Personally, if I find something for me that is too good to be true, I'll generally make a donation and I always try and let the store assistant at whatever shop know what it is I'm buying so that they'll look out for it or something similar next time.

If there wasn't the chance of making a massive find on the cheap, I wouldn't thrift. As it is, I spend a fair bit of cash thrifting each year and that's straight into the coffers of places like Salvos and Vinnies.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

"Dr Williams said grassy areas could prove hazardous for high-heel wearers..."

[​IMG]

PS how do I get a subscription to the Journal of Foot and Ankle Research?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Agreed. Whilst I understand where Foxhound is coming from, the op shops aren't concerned about whether you're going to re-sell an item - they just want you to purchase it so as to give them some cash that they use to support the needy.

Clothes are so cheap nowadays that it's actually more cost-effective to go to Target, K-Mart or Big W to buy cheap clothes most of the time, instead of going to op shops, so I doubt that poor people are actually getting their clothes from op shops. Why buy second-hand clothing from an op-shop when you can get a new t-shirt for $2 and a pair of pants for $10 from a low-end department store? As a result, I don't think that hipsters and re-sellers buying things from op-shops are depriving poor people of cheap clothes. I suppose that another argument in favour of re-sellers is that if the Salvos etc really wanted to, they could do exactly the same thing and get more money for the garments that they are selling, but they clearly don't think that it's worth their time to do so as it would detract too much from their core business.

fxh - Spoo does run a consignment business now, but he has stated previously (and we can presumably accept his word) that he didn't put any earnings from LuxeSwap or whatever the consignment business is called towards his Ferrari. He's stated that he started a Ferrari savings account specifically for funds made from re-selling items that he found in op-shops and that was all he used to buy the Ferrari. Of course, it's worth noting that it seems that you can find much better stuff in op-shops where he lives than you can find here, and also Ferraris are much, much cheaper in the US than they are in Australia.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

JM - I just read that.
    Maybe I'm an old cynic, no doubt theres a basis in truth - but it seems like a benign bit of myth-making to me.

5. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

The economics of it makes sense: save money, and you will eventually have that money to spend.

Spoo's been at the thrifting game for ages and ages. At some point he drove an M3, if memory serves me right. Heard it on the grapevine. Can't provide a source for that information.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

On Double Monks

Got a lovely compliment for the receptionist at work on my Alfred Sargent snuff suede ones.

Saw a woman wearing a pair of black leather ones on the tram the other day (they were def. a ladies model - no mine are not before you start fxh).

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

If you purchase something from an Op Shop, and you sell it for a profit you should be giving a fair chunk of that to Vinnies, the Salvos or whichever organization ran the shop.

1 person likes this.
  8. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

It doesn't really work that way.

The op shop has already made a bit of a profit when you buy it from them. The gains you make from your own entrepreneurial efforts are yours alone.

Same works for all other bona fide transactions and on-sells.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

I've been involved with various mobs that have run op shops as fund raisers..

Despite what many volunteers think , it is common, that when all costs are taken into account, paid volunteer co-coordinator, van,insurance, energy, rent etc, for the shop to actually make a loss. Not a good thing to do. (Sadly there are now very big costs involved in just getting rid of some of the absolute shite, dirty, stained torn rags that people dump. Its possible for 3 or 4 thoughtless idiots over a weekend to dump stuff that will cost around $100 to get rid of)

Its also true that sometime theres an article, usually brand name, that would (in theory) be worth a LOT more if sold to the right market or on ebay.

The trouble is its much rarer than people think, and the market is smaller than people think. Lets say I'm in the opshop and we get in a very good condition Brioni suit, grey pinstripes in size 44R.

I'd know its a good buy - you'd know its a good buy but just think who the market is, where the market is and how to reach the market. Unless CD or me wander through in the next few weeks odds are no one will notice it. Even then it wont fit either of us. Lets say we at the opshop know how good it is - how do we list in on ebay, who will take the photos, who will list it, whose paypal account is used, who does packaging, who answers questions from buyers from USA or some idiot from Sydney, like PoP, who wants to know if it will take 3" cuffs and has split rear, sturgeons cuffs, and braces buttons. What happens when the Sydney buyer complains to ebay he didn't know that it had pleats or no belt loops or...... who receives it back, makes refund, who pays for dry cleaning and packaging to sell it??? and so on and so forth. How long do you keep it waiting for an ebay buyer - where do you store it while waiting.
    How many men are there in Australia who want a 44R second hand Brioni grey pinstripe suit anyway? - 5? - 6? or none?

Its just not worth it. Far better to sell it to CD for $25 and let him worry if it fits or sell it for...... or give it to a mate.

1 person likes this.
  10. fxh

fxh Senior member

You forgot rule No 35 (a): If a female under 30 compliments you on a SINGLE item of clothing. Immediately go to mirror and see why it stands out so much. Make note on database to be more careful wearing item. Look up on ebay what said item, used, brings.

2 people like this.
  11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Ha, she was over 30 - does that change things?

I will take any compliment I can get. No questions asked. Something about gift horses' mouths.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Ah, but was she Greek? "Timeo danaos et dona ferentes."

13. Prince of Paisley

It's like you've known me my whole life.

14. meister

meister Senior member

This is a great summation of the op shop/thrift shop dilemma. Recently I outfitted a mate from Adelaide with like 4x 42R Ceruti suits that were good quality but had been dumped by some "buy it in NYC" big timer for whom they were expendable.

You get an eBay account and it costs you AUD30 a month when not used and then even when you close it you owe them a theoretical AUD45.

The all the rest of it as described above by fxh and it becomes a pain to just be an occasional seller.

My mate has 5 kids and a good salary that goes nowhere. So he gets to dress like a king and for AUD25 a suit and won't need to buy a suit for the next 3 years.

The clothing gets recycled unlike Vinnies where some idiot will separate the suit and the jacket ends in landfill. That is the other cost that charities are not focussing on. Silly procedures that add to their rubbish bill.

He is like the Phantom. "Sturgeon cuffs" and all....:nodding:

The Pearly Gates will be a Drive Thru for you mate....

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Good point - no, she was not Greek. So I will take the compliment and be satisfied.

On my other Double Monks note - has anyone else seen them on women in Australia?

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Look, this is getting dangerously close to being offensive. I did give them money, remember? Over the years, I've given thousands and thousands of dollars to op shops, and my regular stop-offs are very happy to see me.

As fxh says, I wear the risk, time, cost and aggro of reselling should I choose to do so. There is no guarantee it will sell even after I do all this.

I am taking a VERY dim view of your suggestion that I am somehow ripping off charities. That is an extremely low blow.

17. meister

meister Senior member

What has not been considered is how much stuff is also deposited by occasional thrifters back in donations.

I reckon I give as good as I get. Also have a lotta fun.

18. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

[​IMG] Haha sorry, only on rereading did I realise how much I was making myself out to be a hero. I was just trying to outline a compromise between Foxy's "thou shalt not profiteer" view and Spoo's "flog it for Ferraris" middleman success.

I help out at Vinnies for completely self serving reasons: I enjoy thrifting, talking to the older ladies and having autonomy over the men's section.

19. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

Yes, there's a lawyer in our Sydney office who frequently where's them, not sure on the brand though they are exquisite much like the wearer :p

Just received an email from MJ Bale re new stock. Seems they are doing a new shirt line from Naples at the staggering cost of $349 per shirt.

http://www.mjbale.com/shirts/handmadeinitaly

While I'm sure the cotton was harvested by Virgins under the blue moon I just cannot understand why somebody would spend this much money on an OTR shirt. Surely they are aware of PJT MTM shirts starting at a lower price? Even with most expensive fabric I am sure it would not come in as much more....

20. Prince of Paisley

Once, in Thailand, but it could have been a bloke.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.