Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

I'm back for good. Done with Boganville, Victoria.
    Anything new in SF?

MJ Bale is worth a look along with that GQ offer. When did they start offering full canvas made in nippon suits?

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Since they opened, I think. MJ Bale has had the two lines - one cheaper, made in China line and one more expensive, made in Japan line - for at least the past couple of years.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

I'm surprised that they're not as much talked about as HB here then, as a few fellas here seem to like the old HB Osaka which is the MJB SU2 cut now, and that it's made in Japan.

Anyway, if anyone is looking at an MJ Bale suit that's part of 2 for $1000 but only want to get one suit, give me a shout and I will likely get convince to buy one myself - if that offer stacks with the 20% off GQ sale.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I quite like some of MJ Bale's stuff, but I think that they let themselves down by having some odd details on quite a few of their shirts - strange trim or piping, loud and very obvious stitching in contrasting colour, edge-stitching on collars and a few other such things.

Then there was the really, really odd decision in 2011 to order a batch of really nice popover shirts with the breast pocket ON THE INSIDE!!! Really, yes, really. They would have been great shirts but for that very, very odd detail and they had them in a faded red chambray and a blue, from memory.

Also, most of their ties are too thin for my tastes.

Still, Herringbone are doing some pretty mediocre stuff nowadays, too, so they're both much of a muchness.

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

MJ Bale shirts at $50 each - in more conservative patterns/designs - are a good buy imo. Especially for something you can actually walk in and buy in person. A real rarity for something at that price point in Australia.

I'm a short arse, so I need the sleeves taken up, which adds $30 per shirt, making that $50 now $80, and pushing into online MTM territory - or even Kamakura. So not as great value for me; but I'm used to things never fitting just right OTR anyway and my tailor loves me for it.

RompyRomp - how far does your travelling tailor in Melb go? Would he venture outside of the CBD for fittings, or would it be best for potential customers to go to the PJ store in Prahan?

I don't mind, I'm easy either way. I've been putting aside my pennies for a SuitShop purchase!

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

x10!

They make beautiful shirts, but then they go and screw it up by making everything a herringbone, pic-and-pic or twill weave. They can't just leave them alone.

Their ties are much the same - cotton blends, fluro colours, skinny everything...

11. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

As wild as that outfit is, the brother carries it with a commendable air of confidence and attitude.

Made an appearance in the infamous Bold Suit thread

12. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Depends where you are - Matt will travel out of CBD - send us an email [email protected] and ill get matt to give you a buzz

PS broadsheet today !
    http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/fashion/article/pjohnson-tailors-launch-suit-shop

13. jmills

jmills Senior member

Congratulations on the feature. That author calling it a 'diffusion line' seems unfortunate though - I guess I just have negative associations for that term.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Good to have you back.

15. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

i agree - i think the editor wanted to make a bigger deal that PJ is involved than anything else. I seem to have been forgotten but im not the "illustrious" one haha

nevertheless im really happy that we get to showcase some of the younger up and coming guys like matt here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.