1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

At the risk of seeming obsessed with Pitti Uomo, a friend sent me through a link to a gallery of Pitti photos and I thought that these were worthy of reposting:

Another photo of Double Monk brothers (overcoat and beads are the same, jacket and bag are different (bag is Goyard rather than LV):

[​IMG]

Confusingly, this man is wearing a collared shirt and tie, then a denim jacket, then a double-breasted blazer, then an overcoat:

[​IMG]

Floppy hats are so Pitti 2013, don't you know? However, using blanket pins to do up your jacket could become a future trend:

[​IMG]

2. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

After some thought, I was thinking of seeing if anyone is interested in these:

[​IMG]

They are the Loake Lincoln, Shoemaker range (Made in England).

The last just doesn't suit my foot (wide forefoot). They are a 9.5UK.

Would let them go for 180 o.n.o including postage (I paid 186 for them and I'm assuming postage would be around 15?). This was on a 15% discount with free shipping, which obviously a fair bit lower then what we'd normally get them for in Australia.

I've worn them only inside, 3 times, and literally walked 15m in them. No creases as I walked very carefully in case I decided to send them back. However, due to being on holiday, I've missed the return window I think.

Link to the shoes:
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=4106

P.M if interested.

Otherwise I'll keep them.

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Journeyman, that's not double denim I see there is it?

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Last I checked it cost at least $70aud =38GBP to send a pair of shoes back to UK.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Sadly, that's right - I had to send a pair back to the UK early last year and it cost $75, from memory.

Thankfully, the other side reimbursed me for the postage as they'd sent me the wrong size shoes in error. International postage costs really have become quite horrendous over the past couple of years and it is (perhaps thankfully) dissuading me from buying things from overseas, just in case I buy the wrong size and have to send the product back.

6. lukejackson

Guys, I mean within Australia. As in I'd sell them for 180 and pay the 15 or so for postage! Yes, anywhere from 55 to 105 for international postage. Of course the 55 would take 2 months.

They are nice shoes and I could wear them, just not te ideal fit. If I can't sell them I won't mind terribly. They aren't exactly everyday wear shoes being suede and all.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Mr Jackson, I find myself reaching for suede more and more - suede mocs, suede brogues - hell I even bought the fiancee a pair of Meermin suede boots for xmas!

So a few ramblings for today if anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it!

How difficult is it to shorten jacket sleeves yourself, from the sleeve? Got quoted $50 from my non-usual tailor, after they refused because of the working cuffs. I've got a good 1.5-2.0" on the sleeves, and I want to bring them up 0.5", and they wouldn't do it. Otherwise someone who will turn around within a few days, ideally in Parkville?

Break in time on Carminas? Wore a pair around the house, did a bit of driving in them, and a small amount of walking in them. Heel slip went away within minutes, and they were comfortable as titties within an hour. Just fantastic. Do you gents notice a difference cf. english shoes?

Jase, do you do custom bowties? Getting married in Nov 2015, and want to be totally organised. It'll be tasteful, probably just have the date stitched on the back or something. Will probably go PJ's for tux late 2015, and have something CBD made up in 2014 to get the fit dialed in. Otherwise, what is one looking at for Tom Ford when bought in the US? Will be stateside for xmas and could get to outlets/boutiques.

8. lukejackson

Papa, I love Suede. But I'm always fearful of damaging it in terms of rain and wet. I'm likely moving to a wet country soon too.

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Just remembered I had a sartorial dream last night, ended up hanging out with old m8 Phat Guido.

Good Suede can take the rain LJ.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Being a Mexican where there are no beaches you fail to realise the practicality of a pair of Harry Wongs, being in beach bum mode these past two weeks thongs are a practical part of any beach wardrobe.

By the bye DB you still in Sydney?

11. PapaRubbery

http://leffot.com/nano-protector/

Watch the video.

Would be good to have a stockist in Australia. Would jump on a can.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

You could shorten jacket sleeves yourself - if you knew what you were doing and were a competent sew-er , that sew-er not sewer, but then you wouldn't be asking here if you knew what you were doing I guess.

I'd expect pay around $15 - $20 a sleeve with other work, like the usual shorten inseam, slim thighs etc, but a bit more if thats all being done. Working button holes are a nuisance, but you can just get them closed up or folded under, sneakily, and the bottom buttons transfered up the arm and the now top buttons without buttonholes or faux holes. You might do better going to a seamstress or alterationist not a proper tailor. Some seamstresses, I sometimes use one, are fearless and will attempt anything - if you are game they are.

1 person likes this.
  13. PapaRubbery

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous [​IMG]

Meh I'm willing to give it a crack. It seems straightforward, and I can sew a little. Done a bit of hemming, replaced buttons, fixed crotch blow outs, etc. Either way, it's unwearable atm and I can't fuck it up so badly that I'll part with any more than $50 to fix it.

Also wanna give a brother your MacGyver seamstress sweet deets?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hey mate, yep can do custom bows if you have the time, which looks like you've got plenty of. Send me an email when you're ready. Ta, Jas

15. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

You and Phat Guido have in common that you both dream about Phat Guido.

3 people like this.
  16. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Norse Projects flash sale - 1 day - up to 80% off. Some okay deals but the site is taking a hammering atm.

I gave up trying to get some outerwear after 30mins trying to checkout.

www.norsestore.com/

17. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

For a moment there I thought "Invisible Man!"

18. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

It's a kilt pin, I think? I remember some YSL cape/coat thingies with same...

19. blahman

blahman Senior member

Wonder when will we be seeing "Derelicte" style at Pitti.

1 person likes this.
  20. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

"Blue Steal" hats and "Magnum" capes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.