Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meister

meister Senior member

LoL Shell will take punishment that's why Yanks like it.

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What UP thinks guys like me and Romp live like....

I don't, bugger that I'm a greedy bastard and only started my small micro brand menswear company to get rich and rip off style forum members. And I am rich, trust me.

The reality......

I work full time 40 hrs per week, plus put about 30 hours in to my little business of which almost all profit goes back in to rather than in my pocket. I get around 5-6 hours of broken sleep a night in-between working on the business and getting up to take care of a 4 month old. Yes, I am a baller......

Seriously, I can't speak for Rob but it's fairly safe to say that most of us (and the Panta's, Vanda's etc of the world) are in it for the passion, not the profit.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Double monks are quite hard to get sizing right compared to lace ups or even loafers. My only pair of UK10 shoes are my DMs. If I was to buy another pair I think I'd fly to Melb and see the blokes from the eponymous store rather than throw the loaded dice of online size guessing.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Personally, I think you guys must have the patience of Job, considering the customers you deal with!

5. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

I think it's polarizing. I can't say I like the tracks as much.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

For the hirsute amongst us is there anyone who uses Wild Man Beard Wash and if so where do you get it from. Had a look online but the sites google supplied charged as much as the product to ship it.

Anyone buying it locally if so where from?

7. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

well said jase, totally agree

I just quit my finance job to pursue O&J and SuitShop full time. Will I get paid anywhere near the same? No. Will I be doing what I enjoy rather than hating my job everyday? Yes.

Im actually really grateful that we have such a community on here to tdiscuss clothes, style, foot mould :) etc as it has definitely contributed to my passion and reason for pursuing menswear.

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

:slayer:

Good on you. I have a lot of respect for people who take risks and pursue things they're passionate about.

9. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Henry Carter (is that even your real name) - i think your prices are pretty fair! And you're right, if you want to get rich there are better ways than menswear, however the entrepreneurial spirit is one of the ways!

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Henry Carter (is that even your real name) - i think your prices are pretty fair! And you're right, if you want to get rich there are better ways than menswear, however the entrepreneurial spirit is one of the ways!

11. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Interesting that you quit finance and pursued something you really love. Good on you. What area of finance did you work in and what did you not enjoy about it? I happen to work in finance and I particularly enjoy my job but also realise that I won't get rich doing this (part of the reason why people do finance in the first place!)

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Rob, kudos to you for taking a big chance and pursuing what you really want to do, particularly as you've got a family to think of, too.

All the best with the venture!

13. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

And here I am struggling to find finance-related employment and you guys can afford to quit your jobs.... :D

14. Henry Carter

Mate good for you! Well done. I think once you start working for yourself it is harder and harder to work for someone else. I'm also in the early stages of planning my own promotional marketing (my current industry) company which will have a crossover in to the cycling industry, that I hope to have up and running around March next year, it will be a full time gig. Just the thought that not having a boss and running your own show full time is not far away, is what makes it easier to get up and leave your family every morning to go to work for the man.

15. Henry Carter

Thanks, and you are right there are better ways than menswear but my ultimate goal in life isn't to be rich in any case, I'd just like to be comfortable, be able to provide as all dads/husbands like to, do what I love as a career/business and be able to work less and less and fish more and more when I get older!

P.S no my name is Jason, Henry Carter was my grandfather's name.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.