• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I guess those GQ articles are advertorial and the makers pay to be included in those round-ups.

I think there is probably a tiny proportion of the market who do pay those ridiculous prices, but I think the main point of pricing at those levels is to convey an aura of unattainable luxury over the brand. From that point you can go the way of Hermes and not discount but create such a longing for your brand that even ordinary folk will save up and pay. Or you can trade off the cache later in the season when the goods are marked down. I dare say a $175 pocket square is still return a decent profit if it sells for $100.

__PG__

Reaction score
Henry Bucks is apparently thriving which is evidence that some people do pay $1,000 for a pair of Church shoes.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Henry Bucks is apparently thriving which is evidence that some people do pay $1,000 for a pair of Church shoes.
It is the one-stop-shop aspect of Henry Bucks that makes it work. Men (especially non-SF'ers) do not want to go to specific stores for particular items in their wardrobe. One store, one hour, one transaction...once a year.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at least it's not 100% gaudy stuff and I believe the whole 'oxford' category containing derby shoes is the fact that GQ is an American magazine to begin with (and you know how the whole world's turn American). So dress shoes are all called oxfords.

And yes Australian prices fusking sucks!

Since we're on the topic of GQ. Yesterday I came across GQ Korea. What surprised me is what makes onto its pages there
laugh.gif

10932414.jpg

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elvish
How much is Cucinelli overseas? I walked into its store the other day and the SA told me there was 50% off, but at a reduced price of 2200 for a SC I still can only dream..
From what I have seen, I believe Cucinelli 50% off in Australia is roughly equivalent to full retail in the States. I've seen NWT Cucinelli jackets on B&S for like <$800....

$4,000 for a RTW sportscoat is just ridiculous. It's nice stuff, but at the end of the day it's still RTW, and not all the stuff is cashmere either.

Interesting story about Cucinelli himself - he's a bit of a nutter from what I've read, but that's by the bye.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? My impression from the stores in Sydney and Melb was that is was a decaying olde-world knick knack shop from a bygone era, whose main clientele were slowly dying of old age.

I'm not doubting your suggestion they do well, but it does surprise me. How many bigtimer middle-aged SCs (or more likely QCs in the case of Henry Bucks) could possibly think that shopping there is preferable to buying better and cheaper on their next overseas holiday or work trip?

__PG__

Reaction score
I agree...Henry Bucks clientele is slowly dying...however they have opened a few new stores recently so business for them can't be that bad.

But I think they'll be in big trouble in 10 years.

jessis

Reaction score
I disagree, I certainly don't shop there but if they set up a quality complimentary web-store they can stay alive and do well.

It is the way normal men like to shop.

__PG__

Reaction score
I'm no spring chicken (I'm 36) but I'm always the youngest person in the store...often by a few decades.

I have various friends who are 'big timers' but none of them would be seen dead in Henry Bucks. It's a shop for old men..and I don't know where the next generation of clientele are going to come from.

They already have a webstore BTW.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree...Henry Bucks clientele is slowly dying...however they have opened a few new stores recently so business for them can't be that bad. But I think they'll be in big trouble in 10 years.
Shadows of Gowings before they went bust...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imagine a Henry Bucks if it goes the way French Connection went 20ish years ago with a complete rebranding to revive itself from collapse.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerAngriff
Country Road tailor fit formal shirts at $80. They look OK to me. Are they considered decent quality?

dont know about 'tailor fit' line, but i get most of my casual clothes from country road, i'd put them in a better quality level than say RalphL normal line. i have a few silm fit shirts, some pants and chinos, all great stuff, generaly i dont even need to try their stuff on, i know it will fit me as there sizes are very consistant. their shirts (at least mine) all have a small percentage (eg. 1-2%) elastane/polly ect in them which i'm not super keen on and makes ironing a bit anoying sometimes.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no spring chicken (I'm 36) but I'm always the youngest person in the store...often by a few decades.

I have various friends who are 'big timers' but none of them would be seen dead in Henry Bucks. It's a shop for old men..and I don't know where the next generation of clientele are going to come from.

They already have a webstore BTW.

They must make a shedload of cash at sale time. I see blokes picking up three or four suits and half a dozen trousers at a time.

I don't mind going in at sale time and picking the odd thing up, the rest of the year it's just a waste of time.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Just noticed in their catalogue that Target has suede desert boots on sale for $35. Not sure of the quality, fit eg, but I might check it out for a cheap knockabout casual option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads