1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, Tess is a bit expensive, in general. Also, as they've expanded (as they do a lot of alteration work for shops around town, including Herringbone), I think that their quality control might have dropped a bit.

In the past, I would have recommended George at Richards & Richards, but he ended up being unable to take in outside work once R&R became busy and then, just a couple of weeks back, R&R suddenly shut down and disappeared entirely after a lengthy (and very good) sale, so I've no idea what George is doing now.

At present, I'd suggest that you give Tony at Regent Tailors a try.

Regent is upstairs in the T&G Building on the corner of the Queen St Mall opposite Hungry Jacks (the one with the laneway behind it that contains Vapiano, Sushi Sushi, Little Singapore etc).

Finally, whatever you do, don't go to Doree. They don't really seem to have any idea what they're doing when it comes to men's clothing, and they don't listen to instructions, either.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I don't believe I ever posted in this thread about it, but did chat to a few guys here about it (GN, PS), concerning an issue with my latest pair of shoes from Carmina. They're the burgundy semi-brogue on the Inca last, bought directly from Carmina. They arrived in December and they're a beautiful shoe. Mine, unfortunately, have a fault where the nails used in the sole are either the wrong size or have been hammered incorrectly, so they stick through into the shoe.

I contacted Carmina and they said they'd offer a replacement, and that I should return the shoes. Now that it's come time for them to provide the return commercial invoices, etc. they've fallen silent. I've emailed twice (politely), each time a week apart, and still nothing. I'm sure they'll send it through, but it's rather frustrating and undoing their initial positive approach to the issue.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Thanks TBM, sounds like a good option. I will check them out.

That's a bugger about those shoes. Still can't believe it wasn't picked up in the final check.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Pitti is a trade fair that is a lot of fun. People go to it to see what is available, what is cool and what is emerging and what is non-U.

Many, if not most, of the people who go are also in the business and getting your photo taken walking in or sitting on the wall (smoking*) is part of branding and publicity and a sign of having arrived. Note - you never see pictures inside of the actual trade fair. Its probably just as important, and depending on budget and market - more important, to have a pic taken on the wall as it is to have a stall. Hence the pride in the Australians - actually mostly Melbournians - being snapped and featured in NY /London etc old media and "new" media

No one there is going for a job interview as a screen jockey in an open plan office for a finance multinational where ability to do as told and conform is the most prized quality to display at interview and at work.

Given all that I reckon most of the people are appropriately dressed in context. Somewhere between street wear, conceptual art and semi casual doing-business wear. Sure its fun to make fun of some but judging it by conservative corporate wear is to miss the point.

* the whole phenomena in the last 10 years of being snapped with a cigarette is an interesting study in itself. And. As far as I am aware in the last few years I haven't seen any of the Australians being snapped smoking.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Beanies.

If you are a brickie or a plumber working outside in the freezing winter then a beanie is perhaps permissible. Otherwise they belong in the same bin as thongs, 3/4 length trousers in camo, wifebeater singlets, visible neck tatts and earrings on blokes over 40..

Carry on.

6. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I second Matt's recommendation. with only a couple of weeks try and stick to just one or two locales otherwise you will leave regretting not being able to see and do everything you wanted and spend too much time on the go. you aren't a retiree, you have several decades left to experience all of Europe.

Poland is great in general but I wouldn't recommend it for a first visit. There are fewer key sights to see and getting around can be a pain since outside the cities not as many people speak English well.

Czech Republic and Slovakia could be easily doable in 2 weeks and would get my vote. (especially if you're single, Slovak women are easily the best looking in the world IME, even says so in the lonely planet guide!). Prague and Bratislava have two of the most beautiful old towns. And everything is dirt cheap. (+ well there is this place http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sedlec-ossuary )

Obviously if you want you trip to have a more sartorial bent then you are better off going with England, France etc. But maybe skip Italy and Spain for now due to the crime problem.

Re the 2014 purchase plan

Things i've got on the way (mostly under the guise of wedding requirements)
    - navy wide peak lapel PJ Suit
    - ice blue shirt
    - 'deep sea' medallion wholecut oxfords by Woottens
    - Andy Tom brown suede driving shoes

Things i still need
    - some more shirts... (4 in work rotation atm :( )
    - charcoal suit (maybe sharkskin)
    - glencheck and navy grenadine ties
    - some kind of casual shoe to replace the Merrels I used to wear before embarking on this quest to learn how to dress. I bought the cleverley DMs as a replace ment but that isnt going to work a lot of the time...

7. The Ernesto

Sh#t. There goes my new year's wish list.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Good comment, as always, fxh.

With regard to smoking, it's still quite prevalent in Europe and Asia, which is in considerable contrast to Australia.

Also, [warning - generalisation alert] "fashion" people still seem to think that it's trendy to smoke, regardless of their country of origin.

But what if you're at Pitti?!?!

9. The Ernesto

Not quite like for like there!

A replacement for the Merrels would probably be a pair of chukkas, DBs or some nice suede half brogue or the like.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

And Garry N's too I think

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

I did notice that you must already have the thongs!

12. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

Jourmeyman, thanks again - always appreciate your advice!

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Godlike.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

ahh - didn't read that. Great minds think alike - fools never differ

I should troll trawl back through posts.

2 people like this.
  15. The Ernesto

We were going to get matching neck tats. Was going to say 'Pitti the fool' in cursive script.

:laugh:

Even I wouldn't go that far.

16. Prince of Paisley

Going to Northampton to get a pair of Church's seconds or 1/2 price EGs is one thing. In fact, that would be the only payoff from a visit to Northampton, a centre (I use the term loosely here) not renowned for its sights, culture, cuisine, weather or... anything.

Going to a tannery or a textile mill if you are not actively sourcing product for your clothing label doesn't sound like my idea of a European holiday, but TEHO. For one thing, you probably wouldn't be even allowed in these places, just as I'm sure you don't give foreign visitors guided tours of your workplace.

17. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

DBs?
    I personally don't Ike the look of chukkas. I was thinking of some suede brogues as my next purchase. But haven't seen much that I like in the cheaper brands.

18. The Ernesto

19. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

ovlov, not sure what you define as 'cheaper brands', but have a look at the Herring Reading model in suede. Could be to your liking?

20. Prince of Paisley

I'm going to get some snuff suede chukkas this year. Also maybe some dark brown suede 3 eyelet derbys which I saw recently, but only if the price is right.

As for other clothing purchases I'm pretty good at the moment, ordered another heavy sweater for (smart) casual over winter to alternate with my guernsey. Mostly I think my future buys will be replacing or upgrading items already in my wardrobe as they wear out, like shirts, jeans etc.

Then of course there is impulse buying....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.