• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightace

Reaction score
Zzz discovered I have a mould problem in my shoes this morning. I usually stuff them with newspaper when I get home and swap it out with shoe trees the next morning. Is that the way to go or is there a better way?

Hopefully oil of cloves will clean that **** out.

Hey Nolvadex,

I had the same problem with a pair of AEs. So I wrote to the company and asked them for their advice. Here's what they said:

Mold growth is likely to happen whenever the conditions are right. All it needs is moisture, which could be from wet sidewalks, but usually it is from foot perspiration. Warmth, and Bacteria which is everywhere. There are a couple of things you can do to help avoid this. First of all don't wear your shoes every day. Your shoes should have at least 24 if not 48 hours to dry between wearing. Secondly, don't put the shoe trees in right away after you take the shoes off. Let most of the moisture evaporate from the shoes before placing the trees inside. Also, make sure the trees you have are made of an unfinished wood. The trees are designed to Absorb any moisture that may be left in the leather as well as keeping the shape of the shoe.
It is however important to get all of the mold out of the shoe, and also disinfect them to kill any bacteria that may still be lurking inside. If you wish, you may use a simple solution of .25 cup vinegar, .25 cup baking soda, and one cup water. Mix up the solution and pour equal amounts into both shoes, swish it around and dump it out. Let the shoes air dry, then wipe out with a damp cloth and let dry before wearing.

So that's what I did (twice) - problem solved.

Cheers,

Eightace

lennier

Reaction score
Impressed with Mr Porter and DHL. Ordered Saturday, dispatched a few hours later, delivered 2:30 this afternoon! Can't do better than that.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reminder: Meetup Tuesday 18 June of La Direction générale de Melbourne de la Société des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Élégantes

You are welcome to drop in for 10 mins on the way to the train or stay until 7pm or kick on 'til later.

I have 13 confirmations. Some of youse haven't sent me your mobile numbers. If anything changes you'll be left out in the cold. (Small Melb winter word play)

Details below:
At Sofitel on Tuesday 18 June at Sofitel Lobby/Bar - Collins street - - quiet - plenty of room and bar /coffee pay for yourself.

Inside the centre go up the escalator. I'll try and reserve a set of couches etc right down near the bar and Mens Toilets! (I'll be the one sipping single malts on a bar tab named G Nelson)

The idea is to have a low key, early short meet up so its from say 5pm for 5.30pm to 7pm so we can get home in time for soup and Inspector Rex. Or kick on. It isn't a clothing competition.

Matt from SUIT SHOP has agreed to come along and bring his books and some samples.

By popular request Matt and me will give a short rant on our recent Tokyo visits at 5.30pm. Also by request I will bring along my collection of Japanese mens clothing magazines

PMs and if you would do me a favour and email me at:

[email protected]

with your mobile number - first name at least and online name. (otherwise I will get terribly confused as to who is who)

In case venue or something changes I will txt or ring people.

streetminimal

Reaction score

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Why were the prices increased from $155 to $159

Good pick up .. unfortunately I buy in USD and the FX movement recently is burning

The FX dropping from $1.05 to 0.95 is a 10% increase in cost. Im wearing more of the cost increase than ive passed onto our customers.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good pick up .. unfortunately I buy in USD and the FX movement recently is burning 

The FX dropping from $1.05 to 0.95 is a 10% increase in cost. Im wearing more of the cost increase than ive passed onto our customers.

Shame on you. Your prices should really fluctuate by the minute according to some sort of live FX algorithm.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really should get some more popovers, they're great for winter smart casual worn under a heavy sweater. For one, it doesn't look like you're wearing a business shirt on the weekend; for two, unlike a Tshirt the long sleeves and soft collar keep the wooly itch off your skin.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As the lapel width of a suit increases, does the collar stand height at the back increase somewhat too?

What's the "normal" collar height of a suit at the back?

Ta.
No - on my suits the collar height doesnt materially change on our wide vs normal lapel width. I say materially because in fact the wide lapel was maybe 1-2mm taller than one i had on a mannequin here

He could do that - or he could just charge in USD!
laugh.gif
Ive considered this - although PayPal will like to charge more fees - need to work out if I can just get something to do a conversion and then charge AUD at paypal.

This morning I looked at my shipments and 15% were domestic and 85% international. About 50% of orders were countries that are USD or pegged.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No - on my suits the collar height doesnt materially change on our wide vs normal lapel width. I say materially because in fact the wide lapel was maybe 1-2mm taller than one i had on a mannequin here

Ive considered this - although PayPal will like to charge more fees - need to work out if I can just get something to do a conversion and then charge AUD at paypal. 

This morning I looked at my shipments and 15% were domestic and 85% international. About 50% of orders were countries that are USD or pegged. 

Thanks - so what is it usually? 2"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads