• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In short - in the last 12 months I don't see much of theirs I want. (excepting my secret informants heads up about my fav chinos) Maybe their cords on sale.

Can attest to their cords being good value and comfortable fit, the rise is high, got some earlier this year in their summer sale. Mine are pleated, ok they do have flat front as well, very cheap think mine cost around $40. Also their Portuguese flannelette shirts are good value on sale, good for a Canberra winter.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Gerry takes some really interesting, well-composed photos. They put the photos in my Tumblr to shame!

It's possible to take great photos with an iPhone camera or even primitive pinhole cameras. Good photography is obviously helped by good equipment, but taking good photos is mostly about having a good eye for composition, a knack for spotting a good opportunity, knowing about how to use light, shadow and colour and so on. Get those things right and you'll generally take nice photos, regardless of whether you've got a bargain basement camera from K-Mart or a $7000 Leica.

Journeyman

You make some very good points. Wen I used to lecture in photography it was still wetware, we did have a couple of Sony Digital, but the trick I used to tell my students was to a) carry your camera everywhere with you b) think of photography in terms of a film narrative and if you can keep your eyes open for the moment.

And yes you can take good photos with an iphone, its all a question of framing. With photography aside from the compositional aspects is all about repetition the more photos you take the better you develop your eye over time. There are some good exhibitions on in Sydney at present with the 'head on' festival. One of the standouts is the Magnum On Set great selection of films worth checking out in particular Denis Stock's images on Set for Planet of the Apes.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I flipped over to Graham Norton last night and there was Buz Lahman or Baz Lurhman in an execrable suit, funny shirt and white sockless lower legs and ankles.

If ever there was a clear cut case of "Don't Imitate This at Home"

On the other hand - that nice young man from the children's wizard series was dressed stylishly.

Last edited:

lennier

Reaction score

I flipped over to Graham Norton last night and there was Buz Lahman or Baz Lurhman in an execrable suit, funny shirt and white sockless lower legs and ankles.

If ever there was a clear cut case of "Don't Imitate This at Home"

On the other hand - that nice young man from the children's wizard series was dressed stylishly.

Yes saw that, awful @Baz. Daniel Radcliffe usually does a decent job.

ovlov

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know how trustworthy Ralph Lauren polo is quality wise? Need something presentable for winter and just spotted a cashmere cable knit at Djs 60% off. I have no experience with cashmere but heard elsewhere there can be huge differences in quality and most stuff that isn't top of the line tends to fall apart after a few washes. That true?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know how trustworthy Ralph Lauren polo is quality wise? Need something presentable for winter and just spotted a cashmere cable knit at Djs 60% off. I have no experience with cashmere but heard elsewhere there can be huge differences in quality and most stuff that isn't top of the line tends to fall apart after a few washes. That true?
itll last but it isnt as soft as good cashmere.. just pretend its a standard wool cable knit

charliechan

Reaction score

Not an expert on RLP by any means, in terms of cashmere I would personally never put it in a washing machine, regardless of the quality.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Zzz discovered I have a mould problem in my shoes this morning. I usually stuff them with newspaper when I get home and swap it out with shoe trees the next morning. Is that the way to go or is there a better way?
Hopefully oil of cloves will clean that **** out.

ovlov

Reaction score
S
itll last but it isnt as soft as good cashmere.. just pretend its a standard wool cable knit 
so basically I'm paying extra for something that Is going to be a pain to take care of and all I get out of it is the smug satisfaction I'm wearing something schmancy? (Currently upgrading winter casual wardrobe from jeans and hoodies so first time shopping for such respectable casual. Wear)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads