1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

fxh

I agree with you and have read The Outsider and others you mentioned. But I still think Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is one of the worst books ever published it's an offensive wank and I could not recommend it to anyone. Zen and the Art of Archery is a book I am trying to get the boy to read at present.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Countrysmart

Countrysmart Member

Has anyone here had anything to with Australian made mens shoes by Parigina, Modena, Wootten, or Lester? How was the quality? I am currently looking at getting the Modena Mak Desert boots, but will soon be looking at some of the more formal shoes.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Absolutely!

I loved this bit from Synthese's roundup of day two at Pitti:

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

He is a talented writer.

6. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

My mate who has a connection with Richemont is able to get me an IWC Portuguese Chronography (3714-45)... should I buy it or save money? I know this is styleforum which is full of enablers, but perhaps being in my 20s I should invest more instead?!?!

1 person likes this.
  7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Perhaps, but without knowing your financial situation, it's difficult to say. My first instinct would be to save the money BUT if you've got a financial plan in place and are taken care of otherwise then why not. The watch isn't going to get any cheaper and it's a lifetime watch.

8. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

A mate of mine had 3 pairs of from Wootten and swears by them (though I don't think he has much experience for comparison). I'm waiting on my first commission and should hopefully get a call in the next week it so. Jess was very helpful and enthusiastic. The shoes I saw in store were great though I think he is still finding his way a little with traditional dress shoes.
    I'll post an update when they're ready.

9. sliq

sliq Senior member

depends if you love the watch or not. beautiful watches.. not to mention, they're massive.

10. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Buy a watch/invest the money is a false dichotomy. You could lose the lot in your investment for example. I know but just sayin'.

But anyway, I assume your mate's going to get you a decent discount? I mean, you don't need a connection to get one, you could walk into a shop and probably get 30% off RRP pretty easily.

Plus it's the ugly (IMO) gold numeral one. I'd pass personally.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Foxy - I'll PM you a whole list of books to read while travelling to third world countries teaching Tae Bo to homeless people.

2 people like this.
  14. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

I suppose I've always wanted this model and getting around 36% off RRP is pretty solid. Cheaper than the best price in Australia by about 1k.

I think I will pass given that I feel a huge level of guilt in even thinking about getting it. Perhaps when I feel like I've earned it or deserve it due to some personal achievement will I reconsider.

3 people like this.
  15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I like this approach, always nice to splash out and buy things but nothing wrong with giving yourself something when you feel its well earned.

17. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Aye foxxy, sorry I'm late to the party. Not much I can add to the advice -- just a reminder that you'll be all right.

I hear you, buddy. If you're ever in Sydney, drop me a line. I don't have space in the house, but I'll make sure there's always a seat for you at the coffee shop.

18. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Haha, yeah pretty much but most of the guys in their do other forms of physical activity and will likely be more than happy to help.

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I trust you will include the War of the Flea and The Coat Route: Craft, Luxury & Obsession on the Trail of a $50,000 Coat

Revolutionaries have sartorial aspirations too you know.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  20. fxh

fxh Senior member

I think thats the colour I call "cola"

White high rise jeans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.