1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Aaaagh! I'm having flashbacks to an eight-hour drive in a crowded Mitsubishi Colt van stuffed with people, packages, a live pig and several trussed chickens through the mountainous countryside of a remote Indonesian Island, where the only tape the driver had contained a variety of remixes of "Achy Breaky Heart".

Strangely, the inside of his van was plastered with pictures of 80s "big hair bands" like Poison and Warrant, which was rather at odds with the music on his sole cassette tape.

I hated the song already, but I've had a pathological loathing for it since that day!

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

Lawyers, guns and money.

3. Journeyman

Not much money, but there were guns, as we were stopped at the border at the West and East Timor (at the risk of showing my age, this was at the time when East Timor was still a province of Indonesia) and I had to disembark from the bemo (a small van with ramshackle wooden benches stuffed around the inside of the rear of the van, the ubiquitous form of public transport in much of Indonesia) and go into a concrete blockhouse to have a chat with an army officer about my reasons for travelling to E Timor.

It actually felt pretty intimidating - he was sitting in a dark room, behind a large desk, and there was a light shining in my direction. He had my passport in front of him and he was leafing through it to see where else I had been, before firing questions at me in a low voice. I felt very, very grateful to get out of there with my passport and my dignity intact!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

4. ivormiric

ivormiric Member

Agree,

I've been wearing a JLC master ultra thin with a brown leather strap, granted I'm only 24 years old, 99% of my friends say "whats that"

Mind you a few young women down at the double bay pubs were the only ones to say "oh that's a beautiful Jaeger"

seems the mums train them early down east way :p

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

Just be sure to pop your collar back down when you stumble out of the Sheaf onto the street, lest I run you over in my Hyundai.

6. ivormiric

ivormiric Member

haha :p

Funny that it was the Sheaf as well both times.

Patrick Johnson wouldn't be too happy if i was wearing his shirts with the collar up!

But hey, I still catch the train in!!

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Ho Hum every body knows that Propellerheads History Repeating with Shirley Bassey is the best song of the past twenty years

8. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

nice - let me know what pubs.. ill wear a JLC on both wrists and hopefully for once a lady buys me a drink haha

9. lachyzee

lachyzee Distinguished Member

I got myself onto a nice deal ($500 return with Qantas :) ) and I'm heading to the Philippines for 2 weeks Sept/Oct. If anyone has any travel tips, send them my way (not expecting there to be much in the way of sartorial sights over there).

10. acinod

acinod Senior Member

Hating the winter weather at Melbourne right now and it's only going to get worst. Going out is a pain as I don't want to ruin my suede shoes.
    Any ideas where I can get some nice shoes that can beat the rain and still look good?

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Distinguished Member

Patrick Johnson is in no position to be criticising others for peacocking :p

12. tobiasj

tobiasj Distinguished Member

Suede shoes are fine in the rain. Waterproof them with a spray first if you want, but you don't need to. (Oil is the real enemy.)

13. acinod

acinod Senior Member

I'm still a bit worried though, any suggestions for other shoes?

14. Journeyman

Much of the country will be quite rainy at that time, as much of the country experiences monsoonal rains from July to September/October. However, parts of the Eastern seaboard - Eastern Mindanao, Southern Leyte, the south-east part of Luzon - is wet over the December-March period and dry from about May to November.

The Philippines' meteorological authority, PAGASA, has a website which, from memory, gives you seasonal weather info for various areas so that you can try to plan to be where the weather is best at that time.

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Distinguished Member

Thanks, yup I did research the weather before I booked as I was worried about that. I'm planning to head to the Central Visayas (Bohol,Cebu) and Camiguin accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.