1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liber

Liber Senior member

This is also very similar if anyone's chasing that jacket.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kr...-coats~d~152/colorfamily~blue/&colorFamily=03

2. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

I'll be heading to China in Feb from around the 8th till the end of the month. Will be starting in HK and then heading north, need to be in Shanghai for the 15-17th for my great grandmas 100th birthday, and then ill make my way to Bejing and surrounding areas. I've never been anywhere cold so I dont have much winter clothing besides hoodies, cardigans and sweaters. I'll be bringing a suit for the birthday but will be predominately wearing casual clothes.

What are some clothing recommendations for the kind of temperatures I will be experiencing?
    For shoes, should I get some boots like Wolverine 100 miles/ Redwings?

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I wore this to a wedding anniversary last night. My grandparents 60th!

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ Nice, congrats to your GP's! That's a long innings, perhaps they should consult to the English cricket team.

For anyone not following my affiliate thread, we've just received a bunch of new socks in both mid and over the calf from Bresciani, one of the finest hosiery manufacturer's in the world. You can find them HERE

Some pics -

Plain - Burgundy, Rust and Forest
    [​IMG]

Herringbone - Dark blue, Chocolate & Charcoal
    [​IMG]

Pindot - Chocolate/blue, grey/black, burgundy/pink
    [​IMG]

Houndstooth - Rust, blue & Chocolate
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

If you make even the slightest attempt to dress well in Shanghai or Beijing, you will instantly be the best-tailored man in town.

For Shanghai, the most important item would be wet-weather shoes (i.e. storm-welted, Dainite or Commando soles), followed by clothes that can be layered, a scarf, warm gloves and a hat that covers your ears. For Beijing, all this plus make sure at least one layer is windproof.

Rather than packing all this gear, I suggest you pack light and hit one of the Shanghai fake markets on day 1. Best is probably the underground market adjacent to the Science & Technology Museum metro station (line 2). You walk out the turnstiles straight into the market. Hundreds of stalls selling every conceivable type of clothing, including great big three-quarter puffer coats filled with goose feathers. Just stock up on winter-wear here and you'll be good as gold for the rest of the trip.

Make sure you case the whole place out before buying anything. Anything you see in one stall will certainly also be available in twenty other stalls. Ask for a price, divide by four, and start haggling. Target price around 1/3 of the price they named. Be tough. Walk away. If they are interested they will chase you down the corridor.

It's a lot of fun but you need a whole afternoon. I think most of the stalls start closing down around 8pm. Seven days per week.

Don't bother with the South Bund fabric market. It's a crock.

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

to add to that re bargaining, don't be afraid to low ball the stalls because it's pretty unlikely you'll actually be low balling anything since the prices are jacket up so high. Go to first stall and start haggling at 10% of price they tell you. Walk away if they won't lower their price. whatever happens just keep walking as this first stall is just to find the right price. If they call you back then that means you probably can go lower, if they don't call you back then that means your price is a bit low. rinse repeat until you're satisfied or seriously cbf anymore.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  7. blahman

blahman Senior member

If it's a day time wedding and if you will spend a fair bit of times outside in a courtyard then that will be alright. indoor dinner better to go with your more safe option. formal probably means that everyone expected to be in a business suit. just keep in mind that you should not out dress your hosts.

2 people like this.
  8. burnso

burnso Senior member

I've got Wolve's and also Loake Bedale's (mahogany, storm welt victory danite), and the Loakes are better in almost every way.
    The Wolverines would need treating with a wax based conditioner (obenaufs LP) and likely a topy to make them somewhat weatherproof.
    The Loakes are extremely impressive for $300 ish if you like the style, and I sized down a half size (from my loake capital last) and wear thick wool socks with them.

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Nol, I've got a pair of Trickers Stow quite nice, great construction and finish, but I haven't worn as yet out of the house.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The coldest I've ever been was in Hokkaido, up in northern Japan, during the middle of winter with snow piled 2m or higher at the sides of the roads and a temperature of -20 C with a windchill factor adding an extra -10 C or so.

I managed to get by with some insulated snow-skiing gloves, a technical hiking jacket with a zip-in thermotec fleece liner plus jumper plus t-shirt plus thermal undershirt, a pair of thick jeans and thermal long-johns, thick socks and hiking boots, plus a woolen beanie.

When it was windy, I felt a bit cold, but when the wind died down I felt surprisingly warm.

Speaking of hiking boots, whilst Scarpa don't seem to make the same model any more, these are the ones that I have:

[​IMG]

The sole is glued and heat-sealed on to the boot so that there is no chance of any water soaking through the sole, and the boot itself is a whole-cut, with the rear seam covered by a triple-stitched strip of leather. When the boots are given a couple of thorough coats of Sno-seal, they're extremely water resistant and will keep your feet very warm.

Not as attractive as a pair of Loake wingtip country boots, but a lot more practical if there's a distinct possibility that you'll be slushing around in snowy, cold conditions.

11. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

So if you had to choose to live in one of these 2 areas (without considering price) which one would you choose and why
    #1 would be in a large skyscraper and #2 is like the 2nd floor above some shops

living without a car btw

[​IMG]

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I would choose #2. Closer to the centre, Flinders Stn and right next to the Fitzroy tram. I don't think the shops at that end of the street are too busy so noise should not be an issue.

#1 seems a little more isolated to me but it's very close to Vic market if that's important to you.

13. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Closer to Melb Uni and vic markets.

Any idea where your classes are being held?

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Possible Melbourne SF member sighting: Spring St this am, carrying a Filson and a Henry Bucks suit bag.

15. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

All my classes are at the Parkville Campus, I'm not sure what building exactly if that is what you mean.
    The queen vic is pretty important to me but it's still walking distance so I'm not too concerned about that, and plus I don't plan on going every day.

How does renting usually go? If the listing says 400pw is it common to ask for like 390pw? Would there be an auction?

16. blahman

blahman Senior member

#1 is far from isolated. its 1 block from Melbourne Central, and 1 block from the market. plus you get a good view for spotting ghosts haunting old melbourne cemetery on 1 side and Burial Hill on the other. you'll also be surrounded by law courts.

Although #2 you're pretty much living right on top of Katrinas for your alteration needs and Double Happiness/Old Gold Mountain one of my choice places to take my hello kitty girls to get them drunk. You'll also be able to see ugly politicians going to work.

either site you'll be getting a fair bit of protesters making noise. #1 you'll get cleaners union and some justice things out side the courts. #2 you get all sorts protesting on steps of parliament.

you'll be pretty much same distance from swanston to tram up to lygon St.

1 person likes this.
  17. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

now thats the kind of info i'm looking for :happy:

18. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

In the big scheme of things, Melbourne is a small(ish) city so you'll be well served in both locations.

1 person likes this.
  19. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

need to buy some good quality grey wool flat front trousers for work (ie no suit jacket). ideally would like to get them below retail. any recommendations for first place to look? im on the skinny side so so a slimmer modern (but not skinny cut) would be good. looked in country road but quality seems dubious. budget $200.

side question; what kind of pants do you guys wear in the australian corporate environment ie. typical "corporate attire" is suit pants, dress shirt, no tie, no jacket.

20. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

DJ has MJ Bale grey wool flat fronts on sale at the moment for $170. Sizes 30 and 32 were available in Melbourne. Try them on and check the rise though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.