1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Popped into herringbone today and noticed that they have a new mtm range available. Starts from 1300 for made in Belgian half canvassed I would presume they are made by van lack. The mtm manager has now claimed that the Otr suits are fully fused, made in china and thus the mtm is slot better. Not really sure what to think now, because the made in china suits don't appear to of lesser quality however there are subtle differences now just as fit, non working cuffs and apparently fusing. Perhaps the new mtm manager is mistaken, or that sadly the herringbone suits are now fused... Making it less appealing from a value perspective.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

While the HB suits are still priced the same? And as for pumps, not sure virtual clotheshorse ships to aust they have a couple of those. Not with a bow as well though.
    I got some trousers there which are identical to incotex at $60.
    I'm totally there Wednesday! Hopefully sz30-32 are still available.

3. Bone19

Bone19 Member

Dominic Carbone is in East Brunswick. Adriano Carbone works in the Block Arcade in the CBD. Adriano has been discussed on Style Forum. I just point this out in case you Googled the surname. I have not been a customer of either tailor.

Thanks Ned Kelly.

I am aware of Adriano in the CBD, i was definitely after some info on Domenic Carbone based on Lygon Street BrunswicK East

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Anyone know where to buy proper opera pumps for black/white tie in Melbourne?

Broadland Slippers make pumps:

www.broadlandslippers.co.uk

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Are you Dandy or Peacock fxh?

I'm proudly peacock. Rockin' pantaloons as we speak.

In my 20's I would have said peacock and proud of it.

Now my wife thinks I look like a Republican.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

^ GOP or Malcolm Turnbull variety?

7. tomee

tomee Senior member

hi guys, long time reader seldom poster [​IMG]

a really stupid question but i bought a suit last year off the rack, and am wondering can you goto a tailor and alter the suit to better fit me?

8. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

^ tailors can do amazing work but are not miracle workers i.e. they can't turn a size 44 into a 38

all depends on how off the mark it is

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

Wow walked past KB on the way to work this morning. That place looks like a mess.

10. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Tony Jones wore peak lapels last night on Q&A.

11. tomee

tomee Senior member

^ tailors can do amazing work but are not miracle workers i.e. they can't turn a size 44 into a 38

all depends on how off the mark it is

thanks for that.
    ill search this thread for some recommended tailors and see how we go [​IMG]

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

thanks for that.
    ill search this thread for some recommended tailors and see how we go [​IMG]

If you let us know which city you are in, I'm sure that people will chime in with some suggestions.

13. tomee

tomee Senior member

If you let us know which city you are in, I'm sure that people will chime in with some suggestions.

doh, whoops [​IMG]

im in melbourne

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Adriano Carbone then? I'm sure there are many others, though.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

^ GOP or Malcolm Turnbull variety?
    I think GOP but Malcom Turnbull (shudder) isn't he the type of republican you have when not having a republic? Just went and booked a couple of seats for the Cure show at the Opera House and then forwarded the invite to a mate. I got very good seats but he is back in the boonies looks like the 31st is already sold out and the 1st June has gone the same way, and this is half an hour from when I received the email. Last saw them at the Palais Theater in 1980 or was it 81.

16. jessis

jessis Senior member

I think GOP but Malcom Turnbull (shudder) isn't he the type of republican you have when not having a republic? Just went and booked a couple of seats for the Cure show at the Opera House and then forwarded the invite to a mate. I got very good seats but he is back in the boonies looks like the 31st is already sold out and the 1st June has gone the same way, and this is half an hour from when I received the email. Last saw them at the Palais Theater in 1980 or was it 81.
    Extremely jealous, from all accounts of recent shows they still have it!

17. yoshii

yoshii Senior member

Thanks for that Yoshii - at least he seems to be focusing on the evolution of the suit from the short notes. I think I'm in the CBD on Wednesday - might pop along if there is time.

I think its 12.30 @Potter Fed Square - too not 11.05

Sorry, i was referring to the date not time [​IMG]
    i should've used a / to separate it hehe

I might drop by there myself if i have time.

18. Tano

Tano Senior member

Im looking for loose fitting cargo/combat pants that i can wear to the gym. Something with a few pockets in a single colour and <$100.

Can anyone recommend a store in Oz?

19. Sator

Sator Senior member

I've pointed out to good friends that they shouldn't do up their bottom button because of a tradition going back to Henry VIII etc.
    BTW this is almost certainly a myth. For a start the story goes that Edward VII started this tradition (Henry VIII??? talk about fish growing bigger with time) because he gained too much weight and had to undo his bottom waistcoat button. Edward VII was such a fussy dresser he could not travel with any less than two valets, and he would have just ordered another dozen waistcoats from Henry Poole. Also, the tradition of having a show button at the bottom that couldn't be done up is older than Edward VII. In any case, I hate leaving my bottom waistcoat button undone. Can't stand it. And if you ever told me to undo it like Henry VIII, expect an earful from me. [​IMG]

20. Bone19

Bone19 Member

Found out today from my tailor that Parker and Co are selling kiton suits for 13k. Would it be cheaper to grab a first class ticket to the US and pick one up?

I wouldn't be surprised if there old stock from past seasons

i believe parker sell kiton made 2 measure with a rediculous super # for that price.

BTW, is your tailor in perth? as im not aware of many, actually i only know of 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.