Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Didn't mean to sound so abrupt (on reading my own post again). You'll have fun. Nothing quite like winter on the Great White North and especially sitting by the fire. I think the best pointer I can offer you is actually the underlayer clothing. You can be comfortably warm and dry with those bad boys. Ski shops tend to carry them. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I'm kind of the opposite here, in thermals I wanted to vomit everytime I walked inside a building with air conditioning.

My advice: have a plan of where you want to go to reduce time walking in the cold, and drink whiskey before you go anywhere.

3. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Good points, Oli. I meant for cottage country with the thermals. Not for cities like Montreal or Ottawa.

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Apart from the inevitable death caused by poor choice of shoes?

I'd like to go, but not if it's going to be difficult. Holidays are relaxing, not tiresome.

5. Orchie

Orchie Well-Known Member

Today's haul care of HB and Double Monk, apologies for the crappy iPhone pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

6. hasnostyle

hasnostyle Active Member

What are peoples opinions on hangars for suits? Will any old wire hanger do? Do i need a $25 hangar from hangar project.com or is something in between fine?

7. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Wire hangers don't work very well due to their thin shape. I have a few from the HP, quite nice but shipping charges can make it quite expensive. Key is to find a hanger which is wide enough (shoulder to shoulder) and has the wide shoulder shape at both ends (keeps the padding from drooping). Have you tried the usual places, Target, Big W? They have some decent ones sometimes. Choice is limited but may work for you.

8. hasnostyle

hasnostyle Active Member

Thanks Yowzer. No i have not tried anywhere yet, but i will give the 'usual places' a go now.

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

I got a dozen or so from my local suit shop. They are plastic, but have the wider shoulders to fill out the jackets. Like trees, there is benefit to having them fit your shape, but I am unsure how beneficial heavily lacquered wood be over plastic, assuming the shapes are similar.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Get yourself over to Mei & Picchi - I think that they are in Fitzroy. A big range of hangers, from thin but curved to wide, heavy, luxurious wooden hangers. Although their main business is wholesaling of shop fittings, they also sell to the public, and I picked up all of my suit hangers from the Mei & Picchi store in Brisbane and I'm very glad that I did.

On the other hand, you could look at ordering some from these people, as their prices seem good:

http://www.mycoathangers.com.au/

I admire Kirby at the Hanger Project for his dedication to providing good coathangers, but they're really expensive and when I'm very happy with the hangers that I got from Mei & Picchi, I just can't excuse spending about three times as much on Hanger Project hangers.

11. hasnostyle

hasnostyle Active Member

Thanks joiji and Journeyman. I will check out your suggestions also.
    As to the point raised by joiji, is there any real benefit to wood over plastic assuming the shape and size is similar?

Edit: after looking at Mei&Picchi maybe ill get some mannequins, that will hold the shape fine :)

12. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I bought a pair of Colombia hiking boots which I wear whenever I go walking in Australian ski 'resorts'.

I loved the Gatsby.

Whilst hunting for flannel suits on Friday I stumbled upon Sand in DJs. Apparently they are a Danish brand and are big in the USA. They have a modern look and probably fit into the Boss/Versace Collection/Ted Baker/Polo Ralph Lauren niche. Construction is half-canvassed with nice AMF stitching in a fairly soft shoulder. The single breasted jackets were ridiculously short for me but I tried in a double breasted jacket and it was one of the best looking DB jacket I've tried on. What made the experience very enjoyable was that the actual importer of Sand was working at DJs that evening, helping out during the sale. His name was Romeo and he's evidently spent a lot of time in the rag trade and knows us product and has a good eye. He asked me where I got my suit from and I replied "from a shop in South Melbourne". He said "ah so you got it from Lou" (Luciano Azzaro).

In any case the double breasted charcoal flannel suit was a great fit but I didn't pull the trigger. A more interesting fabric may have persuaded me but I might change my mind in the next week. Price on sale was about $630.

13. cheungish

cheungish Well-Known Member

Selling my PJ Loro PianaEU48. Anyone interested :)>

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Thanks for this info PG. Was wondering about all that Sand gear in DJs. Also noticed D'Uban seem to have expanded their presence. DJs also seems to have fallen out of love with Barbour, discounting all the gear they have and not replacing any stock.

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

What are the deets cheungish?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.