1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

Matt, I think it really comes down to what you prefer aesthetically. Assuming your budget is around $350, your other options apart from elastic sided RMs are Cheaney or Loake brogue boots like the FS029 or bedale. Alden Indys' RRP is quite a bit more but some of the others here might know where to get them cheaper.

Another option might be the RM rigger boots, which have a similar look and would probably be quite good in the snow with a treaded sole and vesta leather. Also they're just shy of $300. Look good with jeans...

[​IMG]

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Distinguished Member

Matt -

Even as an RM Williams fan I would tell you to be wary of their shoes unless you choose a model with a very heavy tread.

The ice and slush of snow makes footpaths very slippery. I ended up on my ass a few times in Finland/Amsterdam wearing dyna flex craftsman.

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Distinguished Member

Well, I was going to try and get a commado/danite sole on whatever I grab.

The thing that's confusing is that many Americans recommend something such as Alden or Oak Street Bootmakers - fine shoes no doubt - but are they really better than RMW? Maybe so, but I'm unsure.

4. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

Sure, you could go with something like the above.

Then, after your femur has healed, you can hobble into a work-gear store and buy a pair of these:

[​IMG]

Or, if their lack of metrosexual finesse offends your SF-honed sensibilities, and you don't mind dropping a fair bit of extra coin, you could go online to hunt down a pair of these from your hospital bed:

[​IMG]

It's up to you. Just make sure you have travel insurance - orthopaedic surgery bills tend to mount up quickly.

5. Prince of Paisley

Yeah, they look like they'd get a lot of wear in Mildura when he gets back. Not to mention the cost of having his eyes surgically removed to prevent having to look at them everyday. Matt, when you say you're going to the "Frozen North" are we talking a 7 year sentence to a gulag on Baffin Island or two weeks in Vancouver? If something like the latter, I don't think your life will be in danger if you get a decent pair of treaded sole boots and don't run about like your in a parkour competition. If the former, I hear Nabil is a lawyer and might be able to at least convince them to make you a guard.

6. LonerMatt

7-9 days in Canada: friend's cabin in Ontario as well as some time in Montreal and Quebec City.
    Another 20-25 days in Chicago/New York.

I think if I get there and it's so bad I need those shoes I'll go to a ski shop and rent them for a week.

7. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

^ Ha ha, point taken - Matt probably wouldn't need these in Vancouver.

However, he will most certainly need them just about anywhere else in Canada during winter, and most likely also in the northern states of the USA.

Make no mistake: all these areas will be covered in snow during winter, with the possible exception of downtown areas in larger coastal cities. Even with extensive snow-clearing and shovelling, fresh snow builds up quickly during a light snowfall.

Walking through fresh snow, anything made out of leather (excluding the ankle section of the upper) will be ruined in a few minutes, with the possible exception of highly weather-proofed, storm-welted boots in leathers such as shell cordovan.

People who have never walked on hard-pack snow or re-frozen ice cannot have any real idea how slippery it is. Even wearing Sorels, one needs to exercise care. Again, I cite an example from Niseko: this year, an Australian ski-shop manager slipped outside a convenience store and broke his femur. I know this, because he was the guy who was supposed to pick me up from the bus stop to take me to my lodge. He never showed - unsurprising, given that he was in traction. (I'm not sure what shoes he was wearing when he fell.)

Let me make this abundantly clear: there is no style of shoe which would be suitable both for North American winters and for Mildura. None. Zilch. Bubkis.

Matt, don't buy anything here. Take an old pair of workboots with commando soles and some thick socks, scope out the situation on arrival, and buy something locally. My two cents' worth.

8. LonerMatt

Coxaca - if I find the situation that bad (and it may be, especially in Quebec and Ontario) I'll look into renting/borrowing some (which I'm sure won't be difficult).

That being said, my friends in Chicago seem to think anything more than Aldens, etc, would be excessive and unnecessary.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Coxaca's got a point, but I've been wearing a pair of Scarpa hiking boots, rather like these but an older model, for the past 18 years whilst travelling and I've worn them sloshing through streams, walking through snow in -30 degree weather in Hokkaido, trekking through Tasmania, climbing mountains in Indonesia and plenty of other places.

Before going anywhere where they will get wet, I pop them briefly into a slightly warm oven (turn oven on briefly, let it warm up a bit, turn oven off, insert boots for a few minutes), then apply a thick slathering of Snoseal. I then pop them back into the slightly warm oven, or out in the sunshine, so that the Snoseal really soaks in.

The vulcanised sole and the "wholecut" upper (one piece of leather excepting the tongue and the ankle support) has a triple stitched piece of leather covering the rear seam, which really helps to keep out moisture.

Unless you're wearing cleated soles, you may still slip on ice, but a pair of boots like Scarpas will take you from wandering around city streets in Australia to hiking around wilderness in negative temperatures overseas. Surprisingly, they're not too heavy, either.

10. Prince of Paisley

I have an old pair of Scarpa Trek IIs. Got a lot of miles into them over the years bushwalking and hiking, and I do the whole oven/snoseal thing too... Great boots but can't imagine wearing them in the city unless you are a genuine backpacker and they are the only footwear you've got. Like most utilitarian things they are bloody ugly!

All depends how outdoorsy you are too. Last time I went to the bush I was in a cabin drinking sherry and schnapps most of the time, rather than camping so left the scarpas at home.

While I don't underestimate the dangers of slipping on snow and ice, if you're going to be indoors a great deal of the time then hiking boots or valenki are probably unnecessary. I think if Matt's mates who live there are telling him get a pair of Aldens then I'd probably listen to them and get something similar you can wear back in Oz.

Matt also maybe have a look at some of the WIWT threads back from last northern winter. That might give you an idea of what the better dressed NY etc. locals wear when the going gets rough.

11. iSurg

iSurg Senior Member

As a Canadian, I can tell you that some Americans have no idea how cold country Ontario can be. Even if Alden serve a purpose, you will have frost bitten toes if you wear Alden/RMW or any non-Snowboot for that matter.

By winter, I assume you mean Dec/Jan. country Ontario and Quebec? Get ready to freeze your ass off. I highly suggest buying a pair of well-insulated and waterproof boots and also some underlayer clothing. No point buying here at all. No point in getting RMW or Alden for Canada. Alden for the states maybe.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Distinguished Member

I can sure vouch for that! (Stay away from dog sleds).

I bought the Herring Clare boot for my trip. It's not fur-lined, but with a couple of pairs of thick socks inside, they handled the cold of an arctic winter OK. (Temp was nearly always below zero,. Lowest temp we got was -11C). 125 quid so quite affordable.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...288&selectedsizeid=10&selectedfitid=2&stype=1

The grip on ice can be improved by buying a set of elasticated sprigs that you stick on your shoes before heading outside. They're cheap and can be found all over the place.

The fur-lined Sorels are the bees knees, but I simply could not envision myself ever wearing them after getting back, which seems a waste to me. I'd guess you'd get even less use out of a pair in Mildura.

Clockwise over on the book thread is in Sweden. He may have some ideas too.

13. LonerMatt

The best option seems clear: wait until I'm there. Get shit sorted ASAP.

Or, I might not go at all. Seems massively difficult.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

14. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

Oh no, don't say that. You have to go!

North America in winter - fantastic experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.