• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovlov

Reaction score
Yea, I went to my local, and I'm not happy with the job he has done. Would not give him $400 pair of shoes again. Hoping to find a strongly recommended shoe repairer... as opposed to a local "ok" one :)
agreed mate. But given how few people wear proper shoes here I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone with much experience. IMO if your shoes are good enough that you aren't happy with leaving them with a local then you might as well send them back to the maker.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A
agreed mate. But given how few people wear proper shoes here I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone with much experience. IMO if your shoes are good enough that you aren't happy with leaving them with a local then you might as well send them back to the maker.

Given that RM Williams is a world renown master of old school quality sole stitching I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a pool of ex RM people in Adelaide who could repair welted / Goodyear etc soles and do it very well.

Have you tried asking RMs nicely if there is someone they can recommend?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given that RM Williams is a world renown master of old school quality sole stitching I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a pool of ex RM people in Adelaide who could repair welted / Goodyear etc soles and do it very well.

Have you tried asking RMs nicely if there is someone they can recommend?

To rewelt the machine welted soles we are talking about you need a Goodyear welting machine, so all that skill is for nought without access to said machines.

AFAIK no one in SA (or Australia for that matter) hand welts shoes.

Last edited:

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score
*Note* This post is totally non clothing related.

Given the current state of government, budgets and lack of spending within the ACT (plus the Skywhale) I suppose it was inevitable but I've been forced to move interstate and pick up a government job (back to being a public servant). By the start of next month I will be living and working in Sydney. As such I am hoping some the Sydney guys will be able to give me a little advice on good places to live 'cause I've got very little idea. My criteria for finding a new home are pretty simple though:
1. Close to the city (i.e. no further than Ashfield or Chatswood)
2. Within easy walking distance to a train line / train station (about 2km)
3. 2-3 beds and no more than $600 a week total

With the impending move coming up and doing a decent handover at my current place of work I'm a little time poor (have been for a while). With the prolific number of posts that get put up here (bloody hell you guys post a lot, it's awesome) I probably don't have enough time to wade through each page looking for relevant posts, nor do I want to clog the thread with non clothing / style related posts, so I ask that if anyone does have any advice or info please PM me.

Jason, Geoffrey Firman and all other Canberra based members that I have rudely forgotten to include, I wish you well here in the Capital, try not to freeze. Geoffrey, I'm afraid to say it but contractors are now one step closer to becoming an extinct species within the capital. Good luck with the contracting, I hope you can hold out until the current state of things turns around.

Thanks in advance for any information.

LPS

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are we talking about re-welting shoes? I was of the understanding that you get at least 3 resoles out of a welt before it's minced, and even then most manufacturers won't re-welt a shoe?

RM's wont touch anything that isn't their own, although they might have a good idea who could help around Adelaide. Adrian at Roberto's will restitch an outsole and I suspect there's a couple in the city that wil. There's also a custom orthopedic shoe maker Panorama way, who has done welted footwear in the past, unsure if it was hand welted, though.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Erm, you do realise that a custom, completely hand-made strap from Paris (CF, or ABP) will be less, right?

i didnt read your post properly - what is the strap? croc or something exotic?

And whoa - $1300 for a strap? I'm guessing it includes labour costs (of fairies and angels).

That's cheap. I'm up for $1300 to replace a watch strap.

No, I'm not kidding.

Yes, I do realise that a completely hand-made strap from ABP in Paris will be cheaper. Slightly cheaper, according to their quote.

This is not a particularly easy strap to replicate. Even by fairies.

Anyway...one way or the other I will work something out.

titsmcgee852

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good cobbler in Sydney? I wanna get a commando sole on my Oak Street trench boots eventually and I'm not too keen on the idea of them being ruined by someone with no idea.

g-banger

Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a good cobbler in Sydney? I wanna get a commando sole on my Oak Street trench boots eventually and I'm not too keen on the idea of them being ruined by someone with no idea.

Hi mate, this really doesn't answer your question but I get all my shoes done at Coombs in the strand arcade. Turn around time is good, but little over the level of non existent customer service and workmanship (2 of topy shoes recently are loose at front). Give them a call and see if they can do the commandos, but let me know if you find another cobbler in conservative business dress that's good.

Last edited:

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Wiwt. Its a pain uploading via he phone

nlbsXGp.jpg

b7AIfp7.jpg

Superfudge

Reaction score
You could try Brice's in Castlereagh Street, behind the new AMZ building. I've had a cheaper pair resoled and they did a fairly good job, although they were a bit liberal with the edge dressing, nothing that a bit of rubbing alcohol couldn't fix. I've also has them put toe taps on a pair of handgrade C&Js and they treated them with respect. Their prices are reasonable and they usually turn things around in a day.

boff

Reaction score

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, I do realise that a completely hand-made strap from ABP in Paris will be cheaper. Slightly cheaper, according to their quote. This is not a particularly easy strap to replicate. Even by fairies. Anyway...one way or the other I will work something out.
What's hard to replicate on the strap? My ultra thin reverso has steel supports built into the lug ends to give shape and obviously a PITA to replicate but ABP quoted 350 euro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads