1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tone76

tone76 Senior member

How long has STP shown pricing in AUD? I clicked on today's DealFlyer and I noticed all the pricing is showing up in AUD. That's a nice touch.

2. jobro

jobro Senior member

Bottom button thing... Only remind your friends. Also there is etiquette to it: You have to be discreet as not to embarrass your friend in public. The key is to not to draw any attention to the fact that his bottom button is done up: 1. Put your arm around him as to say 'Aye how's it going, mate!' 2. With your free hand reach down and slowly unbutton his bottom button - sudden movements draw attention. 3. Should your friend ask what you are doing, quietly tell him the truth about the button as one should always be honest with friends: "I can't take this any longer." 4. Friend will acknowledge the fact that he has committed a faux pas and fall into silent agreement, allowing you to finish (unbuttoning your friends clothes?).
    sounds a bit gay

3. ewc

ewc Active Member

Bottom button thing... Only remind your friends.

Also there is etiquette to it:

You have to be discreet as not to embarrass your friend in public. The key is to not to draw any attention to the fact that his bottom button is done up:

1. Put your arm around him as to say 'Aye how's it going, mate!'
    2. With your free hand reach down and slowly unbutton his bottom button - sudden movements draw attention.
    3. Should your friend ask what you are doing, quietly tell him the truth about the button as one should always be honest with friends: "I can't take this any longer."
    4. Friend will acknowledge the fact that he has committed a faux pas and fall into silent agreement, allowing you to finish.

What do you do when you notice your friend's fly is undone?

4. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

sounds a bit gay

Not that there's anything wrong with that

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Has anyone got some experience with Brooks Brothers chinos or other pants? $50 shipping is a bit much but I'm pretty keen on getting some better chinos and with the sale atm it works out to be pretty reasonable. Not a fan of the quality of CR ones I've got and most other brands here don't seem to offer a cut that is 'slim'. Wool flannel trousers for $110 are kinda tempting aswell.

I've got quite a few pairs of Brooks Brothers chinos and other cotton trousers.
    The "Milano" fit is the slimmest, and it is quite slim although thankfully not as slim as the "two eggs in a nest" example above!

During one of their sales a few months back, I picked up some summer trousers in green, orange, bright red and light blue and a pair of patch madras trousers to boot. They've been a great hit at work. Curiously, the patch madras are the slimmest, even though they are all, ostensibly, the same style (Milano).

They are well made, with taped seams and additional material for expansion, if necessary.

If you buy quite a few pairs, it helps make the shipping sound more reasonable, too.

I also have a few pairs of Land's End chinos - "Men's Regular Plain Front Tailored Fit Legacy Chino Pants".

They are actually slightly slimmer than the Brooks Brothers version (but wearable) and whilst they are of cheaper construction (no additional fabric to let out, for example), they look damned good for casual wear. I'm wearing a "light khaki" pair right now, along with a navy polo shirt and a pair of plain canvas sneakers. Very comfortable, very nice, excellent price and if you don't like them you can send them back to an Australian return address.

6. meister

meister Senior member

Anybody know a store in Sydney that stocks DSquared2?

Voi has some of their ties.

7. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

I'm thinking of getting a suit from Herringbone. Should I bother checking out the warehouse at Surrey Hills? I have a 20% company discount that I can use on non-sale items

8. elvish

elvish Senior member

does anyone know of a place that sells 13inch laptop leather cases? I have an Apple macbook pro if that helps/changes your advice.

I tried Hunt but I am not really into parting with $350 for a sleeve.

9. Mr Boo

Mr Boo New Member

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

After a few drinks last night decided to go for a walk around Crown Complex. Saw Harrolds having some sale at the moment. 30 - 70% off (or was that 30% to 50% off? Bit drunk to remember.) At that time the place is closed and all I could see was the Pal Zileri in the window has a 50% off tag on it? What are the prices like at Harrolds during sales?

Also I friend of mine got given a brand new Burberry suit which was acquired for $50 ($50!! A 46/36R at that too!!) in Sydney somewhere. Anyone aware of any sort of weird clearance sale going on over there?

11. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

At Harrolds, 50% means Pal Zileri for about $1200, Corneliani and Caruso for about $1400. I have no idea what price the Brioni/Tom Ford/Kiton sells for at 50% (indeed...do they even discount it)...as its beyond my price range anyway.

12. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

With the budget being delivered I see it's time for this horse to be flogged again http://www.smh.com.au/business/tax-o...508-1eeay.html And I note that the offender is one the ALP right union heavies, probably looking for good PR after the recent debacle in NSW.

14. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

does anyone know of a place that sells 13inch laptop leather cases? I have an Apple macbook pro if that helps/changes your advice. I tried Hunt but I am not really into parting with $350 for a sleeve.
    I got a smart (albeit faux) leather case for my 13" MB Air from an unlikely place: Typo (www.typoshop.com.au). It gets lots of comments and only cost $30 from memory. They might have something similar for the MBP.

15. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Anyone been to the Ken Barrell sale in Melbourne? Walked past the place today and saw signs advertising up to 70% off.

May swing past today, if so I'll report back on what I find.

Re Nialma and TM fabrics it is a go for 4 for $450. However be advised this is an introductory offer, after which all TM shirts are $150USD which makes it what? around $50AUD these days?

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Was in Ken Barrell last week. Pretty sure this place is about to close.

Picked up a jumper and shirt for old times sake.

17. blahman

blahman Senior member

What are the prices like? And are smaller (more likely smallest [​IMG]) sizes available? Being the cheapskate I am, I need me some bargains to entice me to buy anything. [​IMG] No friggin wonder my wardrobe is growing so slowly.

18. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Jumpers going for $100, some cashmere blend stuff going for a bit more. Suits for about $500. Plenty of smalls in the jumpers. Shirts were $100 with a ratchet discount for more. Some pants there as well, though I didn't check them out.

Worth a look if you are walking by.

19. meister

meister Senior member

With the budget being delivered I see it's time for this horse to be flogged again http://www.smh.com.au/business/tax-o...508-1eeay.html

And I note that the offender is one the ALP right union heavies, probably looking for good PR after the recent debacle in NSW.

The Shoppies is the core ALP Right union and de Bruyn is their head bloke. Trying to nanny state the punters in the interest of job preservation - he would be better asking why the stuff his members sell in this country is second rate crap.

20. blahman

blahman Senior member

What are the Ken Barrell suits like? And also in the styling department, they slimmer sleeves and through the legs or more roomier fit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.