1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joiji

joiji Senior member

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Meh - to keep within my parameters compromise was needed. Given the nex weighs about 400 trams and can easily fit into my bags, or be strapped it makes the most sense for me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. lennier

lennier Senior member

Not saying their goods are sub-standard, if you have no problems you'll have , er, no problems. But they grey import and offer their own 'warranty' for many items, hence the low prices. And good luck getting them to do anything about it if things do go wrong. They're cheap for a reason.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

That's 12,000 tonnes! You must be a lot stronger than you look!

1 person likes this.
  5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Guitar Bro's. Good beginner guitar. What should I get?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Yahama makes the best sounding beginner guitars (to my ears). Chech out the Acoustic Centre in South Melbourne, they'll steer you right.

7. boff

boff Senior member

I would recommend looking at Tanglewood as an alternative to Yamaha. I've been learning on a TW55 for years now and I'm pretty happy with it. There's no right or wrong and both make very decent beginner guitars.
    Whatever you get, make sure it has a solid top (not laminated). Much nicer/richer/whatever sound.

8. meister

meister Senior member

I have a few dubmonks and I like the buckles more on the side.

The other thing for dubmonks is that you have to learn not to if you are a leg crosser as the buckles can badly scrape the cover flap on the vamp.

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

" Come on over a for a BBQ tonight I got my record player hooked up"

" Great I'll bring some red and a six pack, just got a slab of Williams Pale Ale cheap"

Fine and seeing friend only lives two blocks away we walk.

Conway Twitty The Flatlanders Miles Davis, Sticky Fingers imported copy with zipper, on Vinyl blah blah blah drink drink drink.

Stagger home with Mrs GF cross over into our street and there in the middle of the road is a brand new pair of Caterpillar steel cap work boots, pick them up yes they would fit son. Gives whole new meaning to falling off the back of a truck.

6am woken up by dog, 6.01AM hangover thunders in like four horsemen of the apocalypse. Note to self find rock crawl under and die. ps :censored: Christmas

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. meister

meister Senior member

The Indian Imperials are Goodyeared maybe the Italian are Blaked. It is a nice looking shoe but this type of shoe sells on PaulFrederick.com for like USD250. Interesting that Florsheim has finally decided to get back to making higher end shoes.

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

cross post from Perkal Bros shoes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

Osiris2012, that is exactly what my friend said, the brand name got quite a bad connotation.

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

These ones are about 45° between the top and the side. Not a leg crosser unless I'm busting for the loo so luckily scratching the vamp hasn't been an issue for me.

I found an old photo from when the shoes were new, and thought it might be interesting to compare how they have aged after several years of wear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, like a good face I think shoes look better with a bit of character.

1 person likes this.
  15. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Do you even Carlton Music Swap Shop, bro?

16. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I've only bought recording equipment from Carlton Music Swap Shop but I would trust the guys at The Acoustic Centre when it comes to acoustic guitars. They can also do a set up for you and get the thing as playable as possible, It's a nice place to just go and hang out.

17. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Fair enough.

Dollar for dollar though, second hand is where it's at.

Picked up an '73 cherry red strat for the old man - sounds amazing - some minor cosmetic flaws (finish has worn away in some spots) - $1600.

Got given a '89 strat for my 21st. Would have sworn it was brand new. NFI on cost, but it wouldn't have been stupidly priced.

Bought my fiancee a Yamaha '71 FG-300 for xmas two years back. Holy shit balls, it makes such an amazing sound. Perfect nick, too. That was very reasonable - and would blow any new, similarly priced acoustic out the water.

18. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I do a full polish run of my shoes every weekend...takes like 10 minutes. 5 pairs, 2 minutes each and they're good to go for the next week :D

19. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Shoes look better now than when new, PoP.

20. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

I know you weren't entirely happy with the result, but the more I see those shoes the more I warm to them.

There is something old school, utilitarian and downright honest about them.

Would I feel the same if I didn't know they were Surrey Hills, medical supply bespoke? Maybe. Maybe not.

If you could get a slightly more elongated last and the right sort of punch pattern you'd be in business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.