• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual Friday, first day of winter tomorrow...

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Cardi: Country Road
Shirt: Kamakura OCBD
Denim: GStar Raw
Shoes: Meermin Chukkas

hasnostyle

Reaction score
My favourites so far have been 'A Timeless Guide to Fashion' by Roetzel, 'Dressing the Man' by Flusser and most of all Manton's 'The Suit' which would be the only one I'd have if i could only buy one. I even don't mind '**** Yeah Menswear' which will give you an overview of where to pick up some nice stuff on the cheap.

You can put everything together from here, but you potentially suffer from missing the big picture like what Michael Sy used to suffer from.

Also - keep in mind that most of the stuff you read off the Australian forum is very upper middle class and US shopping - your average Aussie wouldn't have the $$$ to buy 5 pairs of the same M2M Cordovan Aldens just for an 'experiment'. Keep to the absolute basics, you'd be surprised how stylish you can look in a white shirt, black knit, well cut grey tropicals and a pair of dark brown brogues.
Thanks Oli, ill look into those books.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourites so far have been 'A Timeless Guide to Fashion' by Roetzel, 'Dressing the Man' by Flusser and most of all Manton's 'The Suit' which would be the only one I'd have if i could only buy one. I even don't mind '**** Yeah Menswear' which will give you an overview of where to pick up some nice stuff on the cheap.

You can put everything together from here, but you potentially suffer from missing the big picture like what Michael Sy used to suffer from.

Also - keep in mind that most of the stuff you read off the Australian forum is very upper middle class and US shopping - your average Aussie wouldn't have the $$$ to buy 5 pairs of the same M2M Cordovan Aldens just for an 'experiment'. Keep to the absolute basics, you'd be surprised how stylish you can look in a white shirt, black knit, well cut grey tropicals and a pair of dark brown brogues.

Well said.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
From Agentlesmens footwear. SF member Steveyoo. Can highly recommend him. The process took about 2 months.

Its hard to keep up with the Carmina MTO's. there are so many going on in th thread nowadays. Im trying to stay out as my bank balance cant keep up.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carmina Midnight Navy Wholecut MTO

As promised. Sorry bout the crap picture. The midnight navy is probably darker than i thought it would be mistaken for black inside. I havent taken them in the sunlight yet and i am hoping that the natrual light brings out the blue, if that makes any sense. If not- will have to use them as a work shoe and keep looking for a bluer blue!

Well, there are these... bluer blue shoes

boff

Reaction score

Casual Friday, first day of winter tomorrow...

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Cardi: Country Road
Shirt: Kamakura OCBD
Denim: GStar Raw
Shoes: Meermin Chukkas

Lovely outfit, but I really don't like a single turn up on jeans. Either hem them or buy them long enough to build a proper turn up.
Perhaps like this or this.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't actually mind the single turn-up as, due to the thickness of denim (and of the side-seams), rolling it up a couple of times can get a bit bulky.

I spotted this article in the online version of today's Age newspaper - "A man's guide to avoiding style remorse":

http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-fashion/a-mans-guide-to-avoiding-style-remorse-20130530-2ndzh.html

Basically, don't buy stuff from fashion brand names; be conservative, go for mainly dark colours, be indifferent rather than try too hard; and ignore all of the above occasionally.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless you are a retail banker, is there ever a good reason to wear a tie clip?

I have a nice one, sterling silver from Declic, with a design modelled on the Konstantin Brancusi sculpture series 'Bird in Space' (seriously) which I don't wear all that often. I like it as an accent to plain ties like grenadines, but as I mostly wear prints, I don't get a huge amount of use.

I also used to wear it every time I appeared in court in the Northern Territory, as solicitors and counsel there don't wear jackets (the first time I appeared in an RAF blue suit with a PS garnered much amusement), and I didn't like my tie flopping about unchecked. However, those days are behind me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads