• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just keep reading sf. Won't help your wallet though.

Speaking of which- just received my latest. Carmina whole cut in midnight navy. Pics later.

streetminimal

Reaction score
#menswear dictates that a tie bar has no place in a man's accessory collection because shall let his tie blades flow freely with every movement, the loop is also unused to enable him to achieve the highest level of sprezzatura.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've nearly finished Geoff Dyer - The Colour of Memory - set in Brixton and Thatcher's lost generation in the 80s.

Paints a great urban landscape literally, literary and sociologically and psychologically if you are interested for an insight into that era.

Read Bang A History of Britan in the 80's by Graham Stewart earlier this year.Watching Play Misty For Me, just love the hip. colourful clothing. Jacket lapels you could land a plane on.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of books. Are there books anyone can recommend that go through the basics of colour combinations, clothing types, styles etc that would be a good beginners guide to male fashion? Particularly if there is an emphasis on suits and/or formal and business wear.

My favourites so far have been 'A Timeless Guide to Fashion' by Roetzel, 'Dressing the Man' by Flusser and most of all Manton's 'The Suit' which would be the only one I'd have if i could only buy one. I even don't mind '**** Yeah Menswear' which will give you an overview of where to pick up some nice stuff on the cheap.

You can put everything together from here, but you potentially suffer from missing the big picture like what Michael Sy used to suffer from.

Also - keep in mind that most of the stuff you read off the Australian forum is very upper middle class and US shopping - your average Aussie wouldn't have the $$$ to buy 5 pairs of the same M2M Cordovan Aldens just for an 'experiment'. Keep to the absolute basics, you'd be surprised how stylish you can look in a white shirt, black knit, well cut grey tropicals and a pair of dark brown brogues.

apple3210

Reaction score
hey guys,

any suggestions on duffle coats?

due to the northern hemisphere weather, i can't seem to find any gloverall duffles on sale. any other brands? tempted to just get an asos branded one but i know they don't have a good rep on this place.

looking to spend $250ish at most. unfortunately i'm only about 5"8, so will probably need a shortened version

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Gloverall pea coat (not duffle coat) for sale on Sierra Trading Post that you could look at here.

There are often discount codes for Sierra Trading Post floating around so you can get another 30% or so off the price, although you'll have to pay shipping from the US.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score

Carmina Midnight Navy Wholecut MTO

As promised. Sorry bout the crap picture. The midnight navy is probably darker than i thought it would be mistaken for black inside. I havent taken them in the sunlight yet and i am hoping that the natrual light brings out the blue, if that makes any sense. If not- will have to use them as a work shoe and keep looking for a bluer blue!

Nolvadex

Reaction score

Carmina Midnight Navy Wholecut MTO

As promised. Sorry bout the crap picture. The midnight navy is probably darker than i thought it would be mistaken for black inside. I havent taken them in the sunlight yet and i am hoping that the natrual light brings out the blue, if that makes any sense. If not- will have to use them as a work shoe and keep looking for a bluer blue!

Pic doesn't show up for my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads