1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Too late for that. I already have a bright orange tie with blue square dots. [​IMG] I wanted to get blended socks because I want to have them for $3 a pair or something since I don't intend to wear them often; my cotton ones never seem to last long; and my wool ones always seem to slip down.
    I'll pretend I never saw that about the tie. If its cheap good socks then Target is ok - except they are short.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Here's how fun my tie is:
    Attachment 64269
    Actually I never wear that tie. Too wide, too ugly and too polyester. It was a gift from years ago.

I didn't know Target sells fun socks that are not for children.

Anyway I noticed that my cap toes are not the only shoes that hurt my foot. The monks that I got are hurting my right foot the same way (albeit to a slightly lesser extent) and they are wider and roomier than the cap toes.

Here's what happens to my shoes when I walk:

Attachment 64270

My left foot is completely comfortable in both pairs of shoes and the creasing on both shoes are sort of a double crease with a ripple. For my right foot however, its one sharp crease and that crease digs into my foot.

Know what's going on? Has a curse been placed on me that I will never find comfort until my feet are snuggled inside a pair of bespoke gazzy girls, eddy greens or jobbies?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Lims

Lims New Member

Fair enough. Time to move on. Might I get the forum's opinion on another matter.

Which Australians or Australian based person do people consider to be well dressed and/or turn to for inspiration? I can think of a few but would be interested to hear the views of others first (people have properly had enough of my opinions for the moment).

Kevin Rudd, by a long way.

4. neyus

neyus Senior member

This next post is blatant self advertising but I just thought I would let Australian Styleforum members know, particularly those located in Brisbane that I have started a custom made clothing company called DeeR.

Some of you might remember earlier in this thread I mentioned that I offer custom made shoes. I now offer customers MTM Shirts, Suits, Trousers, Vests, and Neckties.

I have opened a showroom located in Brisbane and will be able to meet with those interested in seeing these products in the flesh.

The suits are made in made off shore, in Shanghai, the shirts are made in USA and neckties in Italy. The suits at a minimum are half canvassed but for $50.00 more can be full canvas construction. I also offer a handmade option.

I have tried to make these products as affordable as possible as I would like to raise the bar in terms of products on offer to The Australian product. The problem is my products are limited in production and due to shipping costs and smaller economies of scale I have to price my products accordingly. However I have applied a prudent person rule when it comes to pricing my products.

I will also be offering almost completely handmade shirts which are made in Italy for those who want the very best. When I say handmade I actually mean it. I know a lot of people in this business like to throw the term "Handmade" almost as much as "bespoke", but these do feature a great deal of handwork not machine stitched, similar to Borrelli shirts. These shirts will not be MTM but can be customised to a certain degree depending on the customer's needs.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

5. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Opt for pink socks. Avoid Happy Socks, too short and fall down too easily. British websites might be best bet - though not for just cheap - Myer and DJ usually have an OK (in terms of prices, quality and range) selection in Melbourne CBD.

I do not mind spending a bit of socks though - it comes with the territory. Like shoes they last when rotated.

6. meister

meister Senior member

I wouldn't call him a sleazebag. He's an old fashioned Aussie larrikin, for better or worse. Often anti-pc, but that's not always a bad thing these days.

Most of the Ch 9 stars are Queenslanders except Benny the Jet.

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

This next post is blatant self advertising but I just thought I would let Australian Styleforum members know, particularly those located in Brisbane that I have started a custom made clothing company called DeeR.

Some of you might remember earlier in this thread I mentioned that I offer custom made shoes. I now offer customers MTM Shirts, Suits, Trousers, Vests, and Neckties.

I have opened a showroom located in Brisbane and will be able to meet with those interested in seeing these products in the flesh.

The suits are made in made off shore, in Shanghai, the shirts are made in USA and neckties in Italy. The suits at a minimum are half canvassed but for $50.00 more can be full canvas construction. I also offer a handmade option.

I have tried to make these products as affordable as possible as I would like to raise the bar in terms of products on offer to The Australian product. The problem is my products are limited in production and due to shipping costs and smaller economies of scale I have to price my products accordingly. However I have applied a prudent person rule when it comes to pricing my products.

I will also be offering almost completely handmade shirts which are made in Italy for those who want the very best. When I say handmade I actually mean it. I know a lot of people in this business like to throw the term "Handmade" almost as much as "bespoke", but these do feature a great deal of handwork not machine stitched, similar to Borrelli shirts. These shirts will not be MTM but can be customised to a certain degree depending on the customer's needs.

Who makes your shoes?

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Your stuff looks good neyus - all the best with your venture. It's good to see yourself and some of the other MTM brands coming on board offering full canvas suits etc. I think the Aussie market has been crying out for quality suits and MTM shirts at affordable (though not necessarily cheap) prices (you only get what you pay for after all).

Hopefully some of the Brisvegas boys can drop in and give us their opinion on your merch. Best of luck.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Your stuff looks good neyus - all the best with your venture. It's good to see yourself and some of the other MTM brands coming on board offering full canvas suits etc. I think the Aussie market has been crying out for quality suits and MTM shirts at affordable (though not necessarily cheap) prices (you only get what you pay for after all).

Hopefully some of the Brisvegas boys can drop in and give us their opinion on your merch. Best of luck.

I have ordered, and received, two of Neyus' MTO shirts and they are both excellent. Lovely material, good construction, and they fit precisely as measured. In addition to the usual range of body measurements, I was able to fiddle about with the collar, cuff and placket specifications and the manufacturer was pleasantly accommodating of my requests. The buttons on the US-made shirts are pearlescent plastic but I believe Neyus can arrange to replace them with MoP buttons if desired.

I've worn them a couple of times now, and haven't experienced any shrinkage (note that I do wash my shirts in cold water).

I am intending to order some more of the US-made shirts, and I am also very much looking forward to seeing his Italian-made shirts (and I believe that he should be receiving a shipment of them in the next day or two).

I have seen a few suits and tried on a couple of sample suits that were on the rack, and they are nice. At a brief glance, I would say that they are the equal of Herringbone suits, with the advantage of being able to request that they be part-lined, have patch pockets and so on.

Neyus (not his real name, of course) is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

10. Prince of Paisley

Sounds great Journeyman. I'd be interested if DeeR are considering a trunk show to Sydney this year and would be keen to check it out.

11. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Neyus - Can you let us know if you're ever making any trips to Melbourne? Ta.

12. neyus

neyus Senior member

Who makes your shoes?

The shoes are made by a cordwainer in The Philippines. I made decision to use The Philippines because my wife was born there and we are familiar with the country. The price is also another reason why we chose to manufacture there.

With regard to Melbourne and Sydney. If there is enough interest I would definitely fly down there. But it probably wouldn't be until after June.

Journeyman, thank you for your kind comments. I am well pleased with the way the shirts turned out. The suits that I have made are on a par with the Herringbone or MJ Bale suits. The major difference is that the clothing is ordered to the customers specifications. I definitely try to work closely with the customer to get a garment that they actually would like to wear. Sometimes that means I end up losing a little bit of money initially but its worth it if the customer is happy.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Neyus, what is the starting price for your suit?

14. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Neyus, what is the starting price for your suit?

And shirts!

15. neyus

neyus Senior member

Starting price for a 2 piece is $950.00 for a full canvas suit. This price is only for forum members. Prices should actually be $1200.00. This is for no brand 100% woollen fabrics of varying quantities. A suit made in English cloth would be around $1200-1500 depending on quality. Suits in J & J minnis cloth start at about $1500.00. I also do CMT.

Shirts start at $150.00 and ascend according to quality of fabric. The most expensive fabric is priced at $250.00 per shirt. Though I don't even think I am stocking this fabric at the moment. If you order less than 3 shirts per order an additional surcharge of $30.00 is added to the order.

Should you have any further questions do not hesitate to message me.

16. PregnantBob

PregnantBob Senior member

I felt like i had to have a whinge, is the state of fashion so dire in Australia that people will LINE UP to goto ZARAs??

I'm still flabbergasted, everytime i leave my place to goto work I see people lined up... ZARA Sydney doesn't even have any of the good stuff.

17. Prince of Paisley

Starting price for a 2 piece is $950.00 for a full canvas suit. This price is only for forum members. Prices should actually be $1200.00. This is for no brand 100% woollen fabrics of varying quantities. A suit made in English cloth would be around $1200-1500 depending on quality. Suits in J & J minnis cloth start at about $1500.00. I also do CMT. Shirts start at $150.00 and ascend according to quality of fabric. The most expensive fabric is priced at $250.00 per shirt. Though I don't even think I am stocking this fabric at the moment. If you order less than 3 shirts per order an additional surcharge of $30.00 is added to the order. Should you have any further questions do not hesitate to message me.
    neyus - certainly interest from me for a trunk show in Syd in the second half of the year. PM me or post it in the AMembers thread if you intend to make the journey and I'll be sure to pay you a visit if you make it down here.

All the best.

18. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I felt like i had to have a whinge, is the state of fashion so dire in Australia that people will LINE UP to goto ZARAs?? I'm still flabbergasted, everytime i leave my place to goto work I see people lined up... ZARA Sydney doesn't even have any of the good stuff.
    I was in Sydney yesterday for a couple of meetings and managed to *ahem* find the time to pop into Westfield. There were no lines for Zara when I got there so I had a bit of a look around. They had some nice casual stuff. What was great was where all the things were made. This place is truly multicultural, manufactured in Spain, Turkey, Albania etc. Gave me a good chuckle. Wish we had a Bottega store in Melbourne though [​IMG]

19. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I felt like i had to have a whinge, is the state of fashion so dire in Australia that people will LINE UP to goto ZARAs??

I'm still flabbergasted, everytime i leave my place to goto work I see people lined up... ZARA Sydney doesn't even have any of the good stuff.

Australians have grown accustomed to paying over the odds for clothes manufactured in low cost centres such as China, relative to countries such as the USA or UK. That is probably why a business like Zara potentially stands to make a killing here. Good luck to them - hopefully, it will put pressure on local clothing retailers to pull their heads in.

Personally, I would like to see Zara's posh cousin make an appearance here - Massimo Dutti.

20. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The shoes are made by a cordwainer in The Philippines. I made decision to use The Philippines because my wife was born there and we are familiar with the country. The price is also another reason why we chose to manufacture there.

Thanks for that info, neyus. I don't mind where the shoes are made as long as the quality is high. What are the prices like? I sent you an email on this subject, too, btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.