1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I might be speaking out of turn here, but they would have about 50 variations of buttons. However, they are only individual samples. At least you'd get a very good idea of what you are after.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The Sydney Button Shop in Netown.

So HC Marbles and anyone whom i may have forgotten we are 2 @ 6pm @ W&P 4-13/112 anyone else in?.

2 people like this.
  3. JayH

JayH Senior member

There is one on King St Newtown, i forget the name.

4. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Speaking of shops in Sydney, I am keen to buy some nice perfume. I've been talking to California Dreamer about it, and he recommends visiting Mecca at Myer. He also suggests Libertines in Myer, but I have a feeling that may be a Melbourne exclusive.

Any other Sydney-siders familiar with shops that sell good fragrances?

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Limited selection of fragrances outlets in Sydney if you are looking for niche houses. DJ has quite a bit to choose from at exorbitant prices eg Amouage, Lubin, Atelier Cologne, Acqua di Parma, etc etc. Harrolds in Westfield also has a selection, and you have mentioned Mecca in Myer. Together with mainline houses of Dior and Chanel, that should be plenty to choose from. What exactly are you after?

1 person likes this.
  6. Geoffrey Firmin

Henry Bucks have a good range of Penhaligons, Taylors of Bond St and Floris No.89 was the preferred cologne for James Bond in the Fleming books.

DJ's have a good range of colognes and after shaves all the major brands I get my Acqua di Parma there.

Been to Mecca where I picked up some samples and Harold's have an extensive range of Creed.

1 person likes this.
  7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Thanks for the other suggestions Pete. I should check them out!

I'm probably after something that James Bond would not wear. I am a young male - with a young aesthetic. James Bond would have a very masculine element to his smell, something along the lines of a Woody / Oriental theme. I'm no silver fox. I would definitely be after something on the Floral / Fresh spectrum which you would expect a younger person to smell of.

http://www.libertineparfumerie.com.au/fragrance-finder/w1/i1003020/

The biggest gripe I have against perfume is that the ones I have bought in the past have faded after 2-4 hours. I'm really after something that will still be fresh for a full day's work - 8+ hours.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  8. Geoffrey Firmin

Try Menzbiz the Trumper is long lasting i also use Eau Sauvage Black it lasts.

1 person likes this.
  9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

JimmyHoffa, try the following:

Bleu de Chanel
    Grand Neroli by Atelier Cologne (DJ)
    Fico de Amalfi by Acqua di Parma (DJ)
    Vetiver Babylone by Armani Privee (Mecca)
    APOM by Maison Francis Kurkdjian (Mecca)
    Bigarade Concentree by Frederick Malle (Mecca)

All are fresh/citrusy/aqua based stuff, and all are long lasting except for the Fico di Amalfi.

10. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

I asked a photographer mate a similar question on Thursday - but my budget was lower - and this is what he sent me.

With viewfinder:

Panasonic LF1 - very good zoom range for a pocketable compact, and has a viewfinder (albeit apparently a very small one).

Olympus stylus 1 - significantly bigger (coat pocket but otherwise you'd need a small case). By all accounts very good. Great zoom range and excellent viewfinder. The one I'd buy (and probably will at some stage).

Fuji x20 - between the two above size-wise, viewfinder is optical (above cameras have electronic viewfinder, which is really just a miniaturised version of the rear LCD). Nice old fashioned look. Beautifully built. Great pic quality, but zoom range not huge.

Without:

Panasonic TZ40 - huge zoom, very compact. Picture quality fine, but not in the same class as the the three above.

Canon S120 - probably the best value of all 5 in terms of size (very small) and picture quality (very good). Loses a bit in the zoom range.

If you wanted to be a bit silly:

Sony RX100

Basically, there are heaps of options. If you don't see yourself using a camera for much more than happy snaps then something like the TZ40 is the way to go (there might even be earlier models in the TZ series still available - there'll be bugger all difference except in price).

Otherwise you couldn't go wrong with the Canon S120.

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

So, I have found out the following:

1. Wht to do with ISO
    2. There's a long shutter speed, but not a short one
    3. The model is IXUS 125 HS (I can find the manual)
    4. There's a bunch of effects I haven't used - some good (fisheye) some annoying (underwater)

Stiva - I like the viewfinder - and I'm using the camera primarily to capture and edit images - in a pseudo-artistic (well, aspirationally artistic) way.

12. sliq

sliq Senior member

lonermatt, is your budget $1k max on the body without lens?

if so, my pick would be the outgoing olympus OMD model, the em5. great bang for buck.

13. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Definitely inclusive of body and lense, I think. I can wait longer and get something better - it's a question of whether it's worth it (I mean I can buy top of the range whatever, but it'd be wasted with me).

Generally, though, I prefer to keep things simpler - so carrying around 3-4 lenses, etc, just is a hassle that isn't welcome right now.

14. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

+1 in favour of RX100 Mk I or II (if higher price no issue)
    Best sensor (much larger than normal compacts)/feature/lens (Zeiss) mix of any compact. Only a full SLR would be better, depending though.

If size/quality ratio is the main concern, then one can't go wrong with the Canon S120.

Best source for infos
    dpreview.com

If you narrowed down the main use, it would be easier to comment. ;-)

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Short of being on sale I just can't recommend buying niche perfume in Australia. Vastly over priced. I'd probably recommend you take the money you'd pay for a fill bottle in Aus and join a splits group or Basenotes. its a big universe of fragrances out there.

Anyway for a young person; a fragrance that lasts all day; generally well liked by others
    • Creed Aventus
    • Creed Green Irish tweed
    • Tom ford extreme man
    • Gucci pour homme ii
    • Guerlain l'instant extreme

Bottom two can be purchased from aus without paying a fortune, top 3 id sample at a CDB DJs and order online.

1 person likes this.
  16. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Thanks mate.

My main use is basically this - I go walking around where I am (Mildura, Melbourne, other countries) and try to take good photos of beautiful, or interesting, things. Most of the time these are still, increasingly they are moving, or large (such as taking a picture of the Murray from the top of a cliff), occasionally these are low-light situations. I don't really know what you'd call that as a usage, but that's how I use my current camera.

17. Romp

Romp Senior member

I use a NEX 7 + zeiss 24mm lens 95% of time.

Ive used the OMD and its fairly decent but the smaller sensor cant quite get as good bokeh or separation for the types of shots I use (mainly selfies haha)

1 person likes this.
  18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Digital camera talk is about as interesting as a thread on quartz watches.

3 people like this.
  19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I reckon that if it sounds too good to be true then it likely is. If the quality of the website is any indication of the product, it would seem that you get exactly what you pay for.

2 people like this.
  20. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

haha the first two rows of that page crack me up with the looks the models are giving. Decided to have some fun with captions

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.