1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boff

boff Senior member

Not essential, but it sounds like you've got the basics nailed, so I say fuck yes. Get rocking some stripes. Preferably DB with insane lapels.

Not even half joking here.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Between a pinstripe and a subtle nailhead which do you guys think is the more versatile pattern?

3. sliq

sliq Senior member

Nailhead, though it would probably wear out quicker.

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Hey guys - just continuing chat about cameras from a few weeks ago. I thought a lot about budget, needs, etc.

Basically, here's what I am after:
    - $1000 is the Max
    - Form matters while I wouldn't mind something smaller, as long as it isn't super big that is fine
    - I would be using it for everything really looking for a jack of all trades
    - Ideally it wouldn't need me to be a computer scientist to operate
    - My current camera fails as soon as I try to take a picturewith any sense of scale or movement - blurry, mushy, ill-defined lameness

Gerry will recommend the Sony RX - any others?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have a BA Com from UTS a MVCR from ANU wouldn't mind the PhD if it would improve my pay packet. Mrs GF has a BA VA from SCA a Diploma from AFTVRS and a MVPA from CSU and our son is going to be a Carpenter, and I am so happy!

Fellow Canberrains how does 13/12 at around 6 Pm sound at the W&P for a meet up.

And any lurkers and loiterers welcome once we decide on time and date only if your wearing a HC tie ( just joking)

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

What settings have you got it on when you take pictures with movement?

This is Mt Fuji taken from the bullet train on the way to Kyoto while it was moving (I did crop the shot):

[​IMG]

You'd need to make sure it's in Shutter Priority mode and use a fast shutter speed to capture it. Is that something you can set on your camera?

What model do you have, by the way?

There's no need to be a computer scientist but you will need to understand the basics (what the different modes are and essentially, how to get the most out of what you have) and then take it from there.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

There's much to be said for that strategy.

I'm sure it would aid his sperm donations.

8. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

GN:

I've got an Canon IXUS.

In terms of settings, I haven't fiddled much at all.

Looking now, there's ISO length - but I'm not quite sure what that records/detects.

I was just talking to my housemate and saying I'm wary of spending $ without having the skills (like a guitarist of 1 year owning a Somogyi!), and that I'm not even sure what features on a camera are worth paying for (in my situation).

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

To put it in perspective I left school at 15 worked in factories, NSW PS more factories discovered Existentialism and Sartorialism via A bout de soufflé then went to Uni at 21 left due to Joseph Heller (it's a long story) fell into Cheffing, fell out of kitchen worked in mental health landed at UTS at 35.

So what's normal?

10. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Hi, Gerry,

Thanks for your write up on Tailor Caid. How is your Japanese or more important how is their English? Do you think it is enough to get a commission off the ground for someone who can basically say hello, goodbye and where's the toilet?

Best,
    Andrew

11. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I can do that.

12. Gerry Nelson

Hi Andrew,

My Japanese is pretty much non-existent - I can say hello and goodbye but not where's the toilet? [​IMG]

Mr Yamamoto's English was pretty good and I think is sufficient for someone to get a commission off the ground. When he was showing me the various features of different items of clothing, he communicated well. I didn't have a problem at all understanding what he'd said.

Are you heading over there?

Cheers,
    Gerry

13. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Yup, that's right.

14. Gerry Nelson

If you haven't played around with the settings, there's a chance that it can already do what you need without you having to spend money on a new camera. Take a look through the manual and see what manual settings you can adjust - preferably aperture, shutter speed and ISO (film sensitivity).

If you know the model number, I can try and look up the manual.

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

A big thank you to everyone on the forum who's made donations towards my Movember cause. We've raised $1215 so far and counting.

Let's hope that it helps bring back the gentleman in the gentleman's game..

[​IMG]

If you'd like to make a donation, you still can at mobro.co/tarang - money raised goes towards prostate and testicular cancer research, and men's mental health initiatives.

5 people like this.
  16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member

Re ISO settings. You want a low ISO for bright light shots I.e outdoors in the sun, a mid ISO for say a cloudy day and a high ISO (like 3600) for low light conditions like indoors or late in the day in fading light. Best just to experiment anyway.

17. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Gerry, can I ask what might be a stupid question (but I am serious). Are you saying if I read the manual of my camera I might take better photographs? Or I am better to read a manual on taking photos?

Probably should read both as I have them in the library, along with this number (thanks to Mr Nice Guy Nelson).

http://instagram.com/p/hVK7DJKm_R/
    [​IMG]

18. Gerry Nelson

[​IMG]

I suggest reading your camera's manual to find out what it's capable of doing and read a photography book (if you'd like) for information on settings and technique.

For example, if the photography manual suggests going into shutter priority mode, using a high shutter speed and a low ISO, it's only applicable if your camera can do that. If it's a DSLR, it will definitely be able to but if it's a point and shoot, you might not be able to control those aspects.

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I'm going to test the community's patience now. Still searching for buttons. Contacted Buttonmania in Melbourne, very helpful but didn't have what I was after. I then ran out of time. Now I'm in Sydney (for the next week or so) and wondering if anybody knows of a haberdashery or button shop around town. CBD ideal, but can travel.

20. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks Gerry. Maybe you could run a few master classes.

Sorry Coxy - cannot be any more help on buttons. Maybe you could visit Romp at Suit Shop (Paddington) and pay him for a few of the PJ ones (not sure if they would have that many at the showroom).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.