1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

3. The Ernesto

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Just a reminder if you want to come along and hear fxh and Gerry bang on about how amazing Japan is share a few beers and chat about matters of style, world affairs and other bullshit.

Melbourne Members Meet Up
    Tuscan Bar, 79 Bourke Street (across the road from American Tailors)
    7pm onwards
    Dress Code: No socks*

Hope to see you there.

*Foxy - this is a joke for fxh's benefit (wear socks or not - whatever)

5. The Ernesto

I'm up for getting there earlier if anyone else is. Otherwise, see you lurking at AT or Hill of Content.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

sykpe me in fellas. Or a cardboard cut-out will suffice.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Or just ask Christian Kimber to come. In positive you're long lost twins.

1 person likes this.
  8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Haha, Matt a cardboard cutout would be a poor stand in. Shame you can make it - are you swamped with reports etc now.

Christian might be coming along...had not notice any similarity to LM....will need to look out for that...come to think of it I have never seen them in the same place...when I met Matt, Christian was "in Vietnam".

2 people like this.
  9. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I'd definitely pop in no matter what, but I'm 600km away from Melbourne!

10. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Anyone have any experience with Flinders Lane shirts?

I have one of their shirts which seems to fit me better than any other OTR brand but I'm still new to the game and don't feel confident commenting on the quality.

I do think the construction is comparable/superior to my Charles Tyrwhitt and Hawes & Curtis shirts respectively.

11. The Ernesto

Never heard of them.

Love this from the website though...

Customer

A wide reaching demographic, targeting 22-40 year old professionals living in urban or local suburban areas. Mid to high income earners, trend conscience with an importance on social aspects of life.

12. Prince of Paisley

They could have just summarised as "yuppies".

1 person likes this.
  13. Prince of Paisley

Any chance you could hold the next Melbourne members meetup in Sydney?

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Sure. What's our budget PoP?

15. The Ernesto

I liked: 'Living in urban or local suburban areas.'

No farmers!

16. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Quote:Not to start a scrum or anything, but what is there to get it? It's a piece of clothing, it's designed to be worn, not hung up and worshiped. You don't need to look deeply into it. That's part of the charm - not caring so much. You can enjoy a great bottle of wine, without having to be a 'seasoned wine drinker'. Life is short. Enjoy it. Don't take it too seriously. My thoughts anyway. #MenswearIsSeriousBusiness. EDIT: Then again, I know of people who have said, "Na, I am not going to restaurant X - I wouldn't appreciate the food". So I guess people really do think like that!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  17. Forensick

Forensick Member

Working in one of the "restaurant X's" what essentially stops the inexperienced appreciating the food is their willingness. Those that come in, listen to descriptions, ask questions, are prepared to try and understand why a meat has been sourced from one farmer rather than another, and use the sommellier (rather than being scared of looking like they know nothing, so just picking something they have heard of before) usually without fail very much enjoy their time, and cetainly do appreciate, at the very least, the entire experience.
    Although i regularly turn inexpericed drinkers away from exspensive items, knowing they will get as much enjoyment out of something cheaper.... but it is a fine line. So i wouldnt consider either of you "wrong"

So lets say i am looking to spend 2-2.5k on the suit itself, rest on shoes/shirts
    am i better off looking MTM at somewhere like zenga
    or trying a tailor for a bespoke (if that is even a good idea for someone who has never done it before, and isnt really 100% sure of what they want)

18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

At this budget you should consider Canali MTM, available from the Sydney boutique on Macquarie Street. Not sure if they offer a visiting service in Melbourne.

I think there are a few other high-end overseas brands offering MTM with local fittings.

You could also make enquiries with Patrick Johnson. With this amount to spend, I would say you could get all their bells and whistles - best fabrics, buttons, stitching etc.

Have a look at the SF thread which ranks suits into groupings from five-star (Kiton, Brioni etc) downwards. Familiarise yourself with the names.

Another bit of advice: your wedding is a "look-at-me" occasion. You need to be the best-dressed guy in the room, by a mile. For this, you need a fairly showy outfit...maybe too showy for regular use. Don't try too hard to end up with a suit that you can get lots of wear out of. Accept that this will be very much a special-occasion garment. The side benefit of that is that it will hang in your wardrobe for many years, reminding you (1) of the happiest day of your life, and (2) not to become a fat bastard.

19. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

You're spending far too much money on one outfit, here's my two cents.

Suit. ~$800 Oscar Hunt or Suit Shop, both MTM.
    Shirt ~$150 from either of these tailors.
    Tie ~$80 from Henry Carter. If not go to Henry bucks and spend a little more.
    Shoes ~$600 pick up some C&Js.
    Matching belt. ~$120

Obviously I don't know the exact prices on things but that should give you a rough guide.

20. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Fox, I reckon from the sound of this Forensick doesn't really know what he is doing. He has the money to spend on some nice things. I think the best advice is to visit PJohnson or Suitshop. Either way he will be able to deal with someone much more knowledgeable and with better SF credentials than a random guy in a shop. I'd suggest PJ only because they will be able to sell him complementing suit/tie/shoes that will all be of great quality and he wont have to worry about dicking around with store clerks who don't know what they're doing and posting on SF every other day asking for help with what tie goes with what suit and shoes etc.

I'm still learning too but I'd say I know more. I'd still love to just walk into PJ and tell Tom "I'm getting married. I like this style. Please take all my money an make me pretty" ;)
    I have less than half that budget so I need to go for some cheaper options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.