• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
I use G&A Favazzo in Trinty Arcade.

Jacket Sleeve Alteration: $30
Jacket Length Alteration: $55
Hem Pants: $15
Slim down a polo : $20 (removed material from both sides)

When i went back the old italian women was hand stitching my jacket back up. Good service/ quality tailoring.

+1

jobro

Reaction score
Do you guys find its a pain to have to lug your stuff through the city to G&A Favazzo? I use them only when I've bought stuff in the city which, I admit, is rarely.

Flyingfridge

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here.. just got into the world of quality/stylish men's clothing and all.

I recently bought a Van Heusen shirt (Slim Fit, All Cotton) for ~$70 at Myers the other day. It's a step up from Tarocash/Connor style stuff i've been wearing, but what brand/stores should I be looking at if I want a shirt (Preferably OTR or maybe online MTM ones <$100-150) with softer fabric? A lot of people here mention TW Lewin for what I'm looking for, but there seems to be so many different types of fabrics for their shirts? How do you tell which ones you'd like the feel of without ordering the actual shirt?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flyingfridge
Hey guys, first time poster here.. just got into the world of quality/stylish men's clothing and all. I recently bought a Van Heusen shirt (Slim Fit, All Cotton) for ~$70 at Myers the other day. It's a step up from Tarocash/Connor style stuff i've been wearing, but what brand/stores should I be looking at if I want a shirt (Preferably OTR or maybe online MTM ones <$100-150) with softer fabric? A lot of people here mention TW Lewin for what I'm looking for, but there seems to be so many different types of fabrics for their shirts? How do you tell which ones you'd like the feel of without ordering the actual shirt?
Softest is usually the oxford cloth. It is common on button down shirts such as this Ralph Lauren one that you will probably know of.
bluepolo1.jpg
TM Lewin is a good start most of they shirts will be a lot nicer on your skin than the VH and you probably won't require a 'softer' shirt once you get a feel for TM Lewin - they are much higher quality. Also check out Charles Tyrwitt for OTR. I regret to say that your Van Heusen shirt is soon to be destined for the op shop once you start venturing into the world of clothes outside Australia. I thank you for taking the time to read existing information before jumping in straight with the questions. Its great to see you already know what 'OTR' and 'MTM' mean!

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Quick call out to Melbourne guys for a watch repair place that wont bend me over and have their way with me. I suspect it just needs a new battery. Any recommendations?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flyingfridge
Hey guys, first time poster here.. just got into the world of quality/stylish men's clothing and all.

I recently bought a Van Heusen shirt (Slim Fit, All Cotton) for ~$70 at Myers the other day. It's a step up from Tarocash/Connor style stuff i've been wearing, but what brand/stores should I be looking at if I want a shirt (Preferably OTR or maybe online MTM ones <$100-150) with softer fabric? A lot of people here mention TW Lewin for what I'm looking for, but there seems to be so many different types of fabrics for their shirts? How do you tell which ones you'd like the feel of without ordering the actual shirt?

Sniff around a bit first.

Go into DJs and look and have a feel of their shirts - they have a better range than Myers. Look at the labels on collar and down on side seam to see what they are made of etc. You'll get a better idea of differences.

I'd suggest don't go online until you have a few shirts OTR you are happy with fit, collar, cuffs etc.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
To be fair I can remember people in the 70s wearing jeans that were, um, snug...

Ernesto - I see your avatar thingo - I assume you have the PJ HArvey album - is it as good as the reviews are saying?

loudassassin

Reaction score
Call me old fashion, though I much rather prefer my Docs/Work boots + Converse all-stars.

I am a simple man.

minch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Was just down at the Cafe reading March edition of the Melbourne Magazine that comes with The Age.
There's an interesting 4 page article on the financial history of Country Road, if anyone's interested i reading.

Saw that magazine and the 4 page spread on suits- nearly choked when I read Adriano Carbone charges $5500 for a MTM suit................ and its fused! You have to pay an extra $3000 to get a MTM that is canvassed!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minch
Saw that magazine and the 4 page spread on suits- nearly choked when I read Adriano Carbone charges $5500 for a MTM suit................ and its fused! You have to pay an extra $3000 to get a MTM that is canvassed!

Nothing wrong with that. Nothing terribly wrong with it being fused either. Keep in mind that bespoke is made to measure. Which is to say that what you are calling a "fused MTM suit" is actually bespoke, in that it is likely drafted by the tailor and made up by him. You are paying for the cloth and the ability to cut/fit/make.

Those prices are actually quite reasonable, actually.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Quick call out to Melbourne guys for a watch repair place that wont bend me over and have their way with me. I suspect it just needs a new battery. Any recommendations?

I recommend Steven at Momentum Watchmaker and Jewellery, located in one of the shops at the base of the Suncorp Building (447 Collins, cnr William). A very nice guy who is enthusiastic about watches. He has only fairly recently taken over the business from a retired watch repairer. His prices are very reasonable.

HTH
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads